Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,973,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
LOL, amen to that...

My truck looked pretty before it became an almost full time offroader, every now and again the pretty still shines through, but it's getting rarer and rarer for it to get through the scratches and dings.

Oh well, there's ugly beautiful that I guess I need to aim for.
A useful object is always a thing of beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 11:40 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,939,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
As I stated, don't move to the city if you want to raise farm animals/livestock.

Quite simple.
Only two things wrong with that in the example I gave:

1) That one guy sstopped everything - not just chickens - necessary wood lot maintenance in the green belt, swing sets for the kids, landscaping the road medians, a new fence around the power transformer, etc etc

2) I didn't move in to the city... the city moved out to me. when I bought the place, it was attached to a farm, in a different municipality and a different county. The city grew, they rezoned, I got sucked in and lost a bunch of my rights through no fault or decision of my own.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,939,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
HUH? I resent one relieving themself improperly on the property, not a truck. If i didn't like or want the truck I wouldnt have taken down the Keep Out signs.

You and anyone else is free as a bird to come park here and walk in the woods all you like, and if you must relieve yerself to do so, but correctly, where the dogs and me will never know you did.

Out here in this area no one wants a new truck because it will get all beat up in the woods.
oh yes... leaving behind deposits and TP roses is way uncool. Cover it or pack it out, especially if you can't make it farther into the woods.

And I agree about the new truck. Folks around here tend to buy used simply so they don't have to be the one to put the first dent or scratch on her! Pretty, shiny, sparkly is not practical when you're rural... unless it's a gun!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,177,399 times
regarding chickens in city limits----of course it is a fad

People appear before city council meetings proclaiming--self sufficency--

For gosh sakes !

I'll bet eggs has the least impact on their grocery bill.

They would make more sense if they argued for a cow in their backyard cuz I'll bet they spend many times more money on milk than they do on egges.

Eggs are such a tiny portion of their grocery bill argueing--self sufficency--is laughable.

( especially sine the proponents said they wanted their city to get the reputation of being--progressive)

If it sounds like a fad, it usually is one.

Been around long enough to see all kinds of fads come and go-------hula hoops, bell bottom pants, pot bellied pigs, Alpacas, Llamas, and-----------backyard chickens.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,907,532 times
Quote:
As I stated, don't move to the city if you want to raise farm animals/livestock.

Quite simple.
I believe the subject is those already living in the city becoming more self-sufficient; one of those ways being backyard chickens. I mean, this is the self-sufficiency forum after all.

You are against people trying to even do the slightest little thing? Your posts would seem to indicate that.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,177,399 times
Yes-----if that slightest thing requires rezoning and new laws written.

I guess being--self sufficent--would be taking an old clunker, putting it up on blocks in the city yard, and " harvesting " the parts to keep your other car running.
Yes, a lot more--self sufficent--than taking it to a repair shop or going out and buying the parts at an auto parts business.

I would tell them-------move out of the city limits and have at it.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:03 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,221,833 times
Quote:
And if they CAN'T "move out of the city limits?"

You would just tell them "tough ***** for the kitty" and that they shouldn't try to better their family's choices for economic survival?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,473,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Nope, that amount of acreage would only be big enough for a medium garden and maybe a few yard birds

And I do understand having some neighborhoods that have restrictions about what kind of animals you can have an the size and types of buildings because that's what the homeowners want... but I just think those areas should be the ones restricted, not the entire area/city zoned to their wishes. If you live in "Sunny Acres" you agreed not to have X, Y or Z when you bought and signed the covenants; but just living in "Pleasantville" may have zoning restrictions that make no sense outside of "sunny Acres".

Gas stations, supermarkets, schools and parcel-size appropriate animals and gardens aren't mutually exclusive. And if a person isn't taking proper care of that animal or garden, then they get their privileges revoked... not denied from the get-go.
Various homeowners associations and their cousins (like condo associations) have their own rules. But counties and cities generally have them as well. In our county - rules (including livestock rules) are set by the comprehensive building and zoning code. And there are many different categories and sub-categories in that code - everything from high density residential to commercial farming. When you buy land that's not subject to a HOA or the like - you know what it's zoned for - and what you can and don't do with it (like you can't build an apartment building on a rural lot that has 5 acre minimum zoning for a house). You also know what's allowed next door to you and across the street from you. I think that's pretty fair.

I will note that people in many parts of my county - like people in other parts of the country - e.g., rural areas of upstate NY - have to be careful. They may see a couple of nice houses in an area - and not realize that it's ok to build a biker bar on the lot next door to them. Buyer beware and do your homework. Robyn

Old 10-10-2010, 03:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,907,532 times
Quote:
Yes-----if that slightest thing requires rezoning and new laws written.

I guess being--self sufficent--would be taking an old clunker, putting it up on blocks in the city yard, and " harvesting " the parts to keep your other car running.
Yes, a lot more--self sufficent--than taking it to a repair shop or going out and buying the parts at an auto parts business.

Yes, you've made your feeling quite clear about how you would rule the world if you were king.

However, why continue telling people what they can't do, or what you wouldn't tolerate? Why not actually contribute some knowledge toward becoming more self-sufficient insteaded of disparaging remarks? It is obvious you know quite abit about dairy. Do you have someting positive to contribute as far as chickens?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,473,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Wow, so personal liberty needs to be sacrificed for city living...?

I don't see why it should make any difference, if on MY property I want to keep a pig, goat, chickens, rabbits or a 1959 Ford 100 propped up on bricks. It's exactly this kind of mealy mouthed chickensh*t attitude that is going to be the downfall of the US. If my neighbor doesn't like it they're at complete liberty to move the hell away, maybe into another community where they can all be productive little drones with their perfectly manicured lawns and color coordinated house paint, and they can then pass these kinds of BS regulations through their HOA's, NOT through the local government.
I see you live in Alaska. Don't know which part. Is there zoning where you live? And I'm not saying that only because you live in Alaska - a city like Houston is notorious for its lack of zoning (and it is very unattractive in many places).

I've never been to Alaska. But I imagine a lot of it as being at least somewhat wild - very clean - pretty. Farm animals are ok in my image . But I don't think I'd want to visit if it's simply a northern version of southern rural poverty and semi-poverty. I.e., yards full of rusting junk. I've never understood the attraction of having a personal junk yard (I suspect that a lot of people simply don't have enough money to dispose of the stuff). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness