Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times

Advertisements

Er... um... ah...

As I have detailed in another thread, my vehicle kit will carry me through at least a week in moderate climates. Were I in cold (or Arctic) climates, I would adjust accordingly (and I do know how).

I was going more for what one carries with them when venturing out for a short time, such as a day hike, a canoe trip, a hunting trip, or etc.

Sorry about that.

-- Nighteyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Oh, sorry, Nighteyes... my reply was directed at this post:

"How would you feel driving 150 miles on a quiet snow covered road say about 10 cars passing in a 24 hour period, in a 4x4 truck, with the outside temperature at -20F, oh and there's no cell coverage for about 130 of those miles? How much would you be concerned about a flat tire, or a breakdown? What would you want to take with you just in case."

To answer your original question, if I was going out in the woods (farther than a few miles from home), I'd take my BOB, which has the usual goodies - fire starting methods, water filter, dry food, clothing, multi tool, emergency blankets, etc.

As for the skills I've developed: not nearly enough. I know how to make shelter and clean water and hunt and butcher a deer, but I haven't practiced starting a fire with a bow drill or brain tanning a hide. I read a ton of stuff about primitive skills, just never get around to trying them out. I could probably survive for a couple weeks, if I lost the BOB, but not much longer.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:18 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Oh, sorry, Nighteyes... my reply was directed at this post:

"How would you feel driving 150 miles on a quiet snow covered road say about 10 cars passing in a 24 hour period, in a 4x4 truck, with the outside temperature at -20F, oh and there's no cell coverage for about 130 of those miles? How much would you be concerned about a flat tire, or a breakdown? What would you want to take with you just in case."

To answer your original question, if I was going out in the woods (farther than a few miles from home), I'd take my BOB, which has the usual goodies - fire starting methods, water filter, dry food, clothing, multi tool, emergency blankets, etc.

As for the skills I've developed: not nearly enough. I know how to make shelter and clean water and hunt and butcher a deer, but I haven't practiced starting a fire with a bow drill or brain tanning a hide. I read a ton of stuff about primitive skills, just never get around to trying them out. I could probably survive for a couple weeks, if I lost the BOB, but not much longer.
Oh, sorry the question was kind of rhetorical . It's my usual drive in December through March to Fairbanks. Hence the "how it's cold" focuses the mind on survival personal musings of perhaps why many cold climate dwellers seem to be better prepared for short term outdoor survival than warm climate dwellers, and they need to be.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:15 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Well first of all that could take place in NH USA easy, but to go 150 miles it wouldn't take any 24 hours. I'ld just get in the cage and go with my Bride and say Honey, here hold my beer and watch this! I'ld be upset if I got greasy mung on my mitts for a flat though.

Since I refuse to own a cell phone, it wouldn't upset me a bit if there was no signal. I figure if I can change a clutch in that temp which I have, I can change a flat faster, maybe fast enough I don't have to sit with my head in lap and cry because the pain going out of 1/2 frozen hands really hurts.

When I get lucky enough to go cut a U joint out of a stuck in the woods Skidder, at least then I bring Oxy Actelene torches and can warm up my tools . I hate working with gloves on, just too clumsy for me.

If I were in Ak, I would carry the same things I carry here in winter. In a truck that is 60+ feet of chain and 4 come-a-longs, with respective tools for what ever vehical it is.

The hard part is having the correct parts. I got shut down on a x-mass eve blizard after a late party and had no choice to walk and call the cops. Ignition modula don't exactly grow on trees around here. I knew what was wrong, but couldn't get parts.

The cops hated taking my wife and I up the mountain. In fact we lived there 3.5 years and that was the only time the cops ever were there.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 AM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
Not to be a negatron, but if we are living out of "grab and go" supplies lets say three back packs (I have a backpack for my dog Ali as well) the chances of being looted,robbed,shot or simply left starving and dehydrated increases by the day. There just has to be a means of protection that
doesn't add to the weight of your "advertized heap of la la land supplies". A Glock pistol or two, a high powered pellet pistol,slingshot or as some people shared with me a taser gun. At home a shotgun is recommended by experts ("When All Plans Fails" by Paul Williams MD) As part of survival it is essential to be trained
in the use of weapons and to keep them out of the reach of kids. Most of us are honky urbanites who are clueless about how to survive once displaced from
our homes (God forbid). This thread site will help prepare you for many senario's and I have adjusted my food pantry,and over fifty light weight items that
will make life easier even though I myself lack experience. Viet Nam helped me as a medic and I have self defense skills ,but even that might not be sufficient
to survive and protect my loved ones from being overtaken by a gang of very hungry folks not withstanding a pack of roaming dogs.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 11-03-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Where I live in Oregon we have snow in the winter, sometimes lots of it, and I have seen tempertures down to -25 in years past. We have nothing that compares with the winters in New Hampshire and Alaska. I have been out in the snow camping while Elk hunting, and while it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't all that bad either. But I had prepared to be in the snow over night for 10 days. My wife and I drive to Medford, 70 miles away, often in the winter over a mountain pass. I prepare for the worst that could happen. We always take food and water and extra blankets and clothing. I have made a heating stove that uses denatured alcohol that would keep the interior of our vehicle warm if we should go off the road or be stranded. I always carry tire chains even though I will be driving a 4X4 and have a long tow rope. One of my pickups has a toolbox in the back with tools, extra gasoline and oil and a chain saw. If you know you are going to be exposed to bad weather it is mandatory that you plan accordingly.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Given the right tools many of us that have been hunters, and campers could survive in the winter. But, I know if I had a sleeping bag fixed up like the one missingall4seasons just mentioned, I would be in trouble. I'd never want to get out of that bag and do anything. Yep, I agree a tent would be out and a good water proof tarp would be ideal, but I don't remember any of those early explorers having the stuff we have available today. I have a Titanium rescue sled. Have any of you seen one of them? Made just to pull through the snow and ice with a place inside for food, clothing, whatever. I should take a photo and post it. I gave my snowshoes away last winter, I'm getting too darn old for this monkey business...
I missed this post

Well ya gotta pee sometime Captain! I have been fooled by the light of the moon too, and still had to pee thinkin' (something I try to avoid) it was sun up, only to find I hadda pee, and it was the bloomin moon.

My bag system is a vapor barrier of some syn cloth I found at the dump that refuse to allow water to pass. I go directly into that, and that blasted cloth is like ice at -40 below, but not for long. ( the point is to keep body fluids mine and not let them get into either bag. When that idea fails the outter bag will be the first to freeze. I got me a good lesson in that when the seam at my feet failed and I didn't know it.

No sooner did I know and out came my sewwing kit, and sublimation dried my gear.)

next is a light summer bag, rated for around +50 This one was from Early Winters and called a 1 kilo bag. It has a syn stiffin's of some sort.

next is a read down bag, rated for around +10

Between these 2 is a full length Therma rest.

All of this goes in a camp gortex bivy, and between the bivey and the outter bag goes a Ridge rest. Tawking about don't wanna get up to pee!

I have considered a wide mouth Nalgene bottle with some gizzmo that I can pee in the bag, but never dared really try it. One fear is, one time I will get mixed up as 'instant crank' (Tang and caffine tea, loaded with sugar that I sleep with, could be mixed up real EZ)

Who's Dasular tawkin too???

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 12-26-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness