Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
generic bread, made at the store. so it is locally made and costed less than to bring in brand name bread.
Oh man I am so missing that store...... The bare bones cheapest bread I can get is made right here from brewers waste grains.

This is far from cheap, since I have to hit the brewery by chance, at the right time to get spent grains coming out of ther vats hot, before they dump it into a nasty old slimy barrel.
The good thing is I can have all I want in pounds.

Then it's off to home to break the pounds up into less than pounds to freeze, and my wife then spends engery, which could be a fire at the least to make bread, but so far like any normal woman spins up the dial on the oven to make bread.

There is a old bread store where the prices are lesser but no 48 cents, and the bread is pretty dated. Which to me means eat it all up pretty fast, or religate it to foods that crumbs are cool , like salads and stuffings.

Just in case I am really stupid, what is the name of that store. Maybe there is one somewhere with in 100 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Default Dought in South could mean massive crop losses

Wheat especially hard hit.

"Massive crop losses" feared from South drought - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110428/us_nm/us_usa_drought - broken link)

Quote:
KANSAS CITY (Reuters) – The worst drought in more than 40 years intensified across Texas over the last week, with high winds and heat causing "massive crop losses," with little relief in sight, according to weather experts Thursday.
A report released Thursday from a consortium of national climate experts, dubbed the Drought Monitor, said drought worsened along the Texas border with Oklahoma, and in western, central and southern Texas.

Ranchers were struggling to feed and water cattle, and farmers were left to watch their crops shrivel into the dusty soil. Some experts estimated that producers were giving up on as much as 70 percent of the state's wheat acreage.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Oh man I am so missing that store...... The bare bones cheapest bread I can get is made right here from brewers waste grains.

This is far from cheap, since I have to hit the brewery by chance, at the right time to get spent grains coming out of ther vats hot, before they dump it into a nasty old slimy barrel.
The good thing is I can have all I want in pounds.

Then it's off to home to break the pounds up into less than pounds to freeze, and my wife then spends engery, which could be a fire at the least to make bread, but so far like any normal woman spins up the dial on the oven to make bread.

There is a old bread store where the prices are lesser but no 48 cents, and the bread is pretty dated. Which to me means eat it all up pretty fast, or religate it to foods that crumbs are cool , like salads and stuffings.

Just in case I am really stupid, what is the name of that store. Maybe there is one somewhere with in 100 miles.

economart is the name of the store. locally owned but nationally named store.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Ain't neva' heard of the place. Me: I am miffed more than foods are up, seems common mild steel took a jump. At this rate a paper plate is gonna be out of sight pretty soon. I guess this is what happens when a dollar ain't worth 2 cents literally.

This is my first time to deal with junk dollars too. That 48 cent loaf still 48 cents?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

May I suggest a blasphemous thought that mankind is full steam towards approaching carrying capacity wall? We exhaust resources and play with Earth life support and yet expect cheap industrial food to last forever, regardless.
How's that blasphemous? I think people have been saying that for decades (at least). I read an article in the Smithsonian about population growth recently.

Ok, well I looked at a lot of the pictures more than "read." A lot of them were overhead views of cities and towns and subdivisions. It really brought home the fact that there are BILLIONS of people in the world.

In some cities I've lived in (Mexico, Seoul, NYC), I wonder what would happen if everybody came out of their high rises at the same time. Would there even be room for them on the ground? I had really blasphemous thoughts then. I mean, there are so MANY of us, what makes us special to anyone?

It was like looking at ants...

I don't support some GMO foods (only because of pesticide abuse) but without those types of 'tricks' it would be difficult to feed the population we have on the earth.

If all farming were organic, the vast majority of people would starve. Naturally-produced food is a limited resource.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 PM

866 posts, read 1,134,494 times
Default I hate shopping anymore...

I'm one of those that get Food Stamps...$100 a month...just how many groceries can one get for that amount? Not much,not at this point in time anyways. So what do I do? I buy marked down produce and meat, when I can. We eat a lot of chicken, ground beef and when whole turkeys are on sale try to buy at least two of them for the freezer, for later use. I don't buy name brands, use coupons whenever available, which are few and far between,because there's very few coupons for the brands I buy. I also check the grocery ads each week and buy what I can when it's on sale. We do have a small freezer. I also don't buy the convenience pre-packaged stuff other than frozen veggies. Which as someone else noted the size package has been cut back but not the price. Anything else we need is paid for in cash,which is also in short supply. We eat on average two meals a day because to eat more often than that would cost more. Mind you we're not starving,either. We try to grow veggies but for whatever reason have had little success...too hot,too dry,too wet,plants won't produce fruits. We've got all kinds of information on how to grow things and still can't get enough produce to put up for the winter. We've got rain barrels all around the house but when there's no rain the barrels are useless. And the water bill gets too high. And food stamps doesn't pay for the TP,cleaning supplies,personal hygeine things. Angel Food Ministries (at least here in this part of Texas,anyway) contains a lot of pre-packaged,highly processed food items. Our diets won't allow salt or concentrated sugar, so that eliminates that program. Farmers markets around here charge almost as much for their produce as the grocery stores, so there's not much savings in that. But we make do with what we have and are very grateful to have it. When that goes, we'll find another way to eat.Thing could and very likely will be worse...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,667,898 times
I feel for you, leftmyheartintennessee. Even though we have never been on food stamps, our food budget was very tight for many years, especially with growing children in the house. My kids were always impressed with my 'fancy dinners'. It wasn't until years later, when I made them all Christmas presents of calendars with birthdays, anniversaries, etc - and on the opposing pages, put my recipes - that they realized just how frugal I had been. Many times I had divided up a pound of beef, pork, or chicken into quarter-pound packages. I would then cut into tiny pieces the quarter-pound of meat, make a sauce or gravy with boullion cubes, grease, and flour, and add in lots of pasta or rice and a vegetable. Some weeks there was no meat at all - and they never knew it.

It is easy to make your own pasta - an egg, flour, water, and a little salt for the dough, roll it out thinly, slice into shapes (bowties, lasagna, etc) or strings (spaghetti) and air-dry (make it 24 hours in advance). You can even add garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley, and other spices to the flour before you make the dough; makes for interesting flavors. Making your own bread is cheaper than store-bought, and better for you. We always bought rice, sugar, and flour on sale in bulk and put it in lidded garbage cans (still in the bag).

Setting up a garden is hard work. A lot of times you have to amend the soil first - my kids and I cleaned out a neighbor's horse stalls for free, brought the product home, and shoveled, hoed, and raked it into the soil, then let it lie fallow for a year. After that, we had started the microbes working in the soil, and we used a lot less water and less fertilizer. If your plants aren't fruiting, you may not have enough visiting pollinators - planting flowers around your garden will attract more bees, etc. It takes a lot of time and attention - this year we had late freezes so I didn't put anything in until late May; everything stayed in the green house or in the basement. My potatoes have gone insane, but everything else is still struggling. Don't feel badly; many farmers have struggled as you, and often lost everything and had to either replant or do without that year. The key is to not give up, do what you can with what you have.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,826,044 times
Wow. I'm feeling badly for you guys. You all, especially in the center swath, have taken a hit with the weather this year. My mother who lives in the center had quite a bit of garden damage from hail a few weeks ago too followed by scorching weather.

Sadly with weather like you are experiencing, the age old advice of growing some of your food to help along a tight budget doesn't apply as well as it should.

Here's what I wonder: All the restaurants with their daily soups, rolls, specials that don't sell as well as they should, I wonder, would they sell some of those leftovers at the end of the day or do they simply throw it out? One might discretely inquire. Might be a way to pick up some decent food for cheaper than you could make it. Just a thought.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,801,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Hey no problem...She has the answer Touring the White House Garden Video

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Hey no problem...She has the answer Touring the White House Garden Video
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not however but thanks in part to the First Lady, home gardening has been at an all time high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness