Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,553 times

Advertisements

Not with the Goooooooooood stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmhJ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HNSS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smw0r...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNMs0TwDt60&feature=fvw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:54 PM

As you can see, the results are similar. It isn't a fluke! LOL I could do a bunch more but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RXGM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFKv...eature=related

Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default shoot and shoot some more essential

22s retain energy much like a solid shotgun slug and can travel along the bone and end up far from the point of entry.

Other than 22s, a center fire pistol is all about bullet construction. You don't want to be wailing rapid fire with a 22 near bystanders

A 22 auto is nice, a 9mm or 380 is better and a big bore is best.

Hands down a 20 gauge pump with slugs and buckshot or even #4 shot will work great. Again some solid slugs will do amazing things when they hit bone at odd angles. Too many guys shoot a shotgun with slugs as they would bird or buck shot. Make sure to pick a spot. Bullet construction is important with slugs.

If you have these firearms primarily for self defense you best burn a lot a ammo to get a feel for the gun. This is a good case for a 22 and cheap ammo. A 22 is worthwhile just to get used to shooting and serves to prep you for a larger caliber pistol.

Where would you store these guns if you got them?

Photograph the serial numbers and guns for positive id. Mark them with metal stamps or other means in an obscure place and of course photograph it.

A motion sensor game camera from Cabellas might be a good bet to set up. Trim any overgrown shrubs from around the house.

Oh, a nice knife might be a good back up.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
22s retain energy much like a solid shotgun slug and can travel along the bone and end up far from the point of entry.

Other than 22s, a center fire pistol is all about bullet construction. You don't want to be wailing rapid fire with a 22 near bystanders

A 22 auto is nice, a 9mm or 380 is better and a big bore is best.

Hands down a 20 gauge pump with slugs and buckshot or even #4 shot will work great. Again some solid slugs will do amazing things when they hit bone at odd angles. Too many guys shoot a shotgun with slugs as they would bird or buck shot. Make sure to pick a spot. Bullet construction is important with slugs.

If you have these firearms primarily for self defense you best burn a lot a ammo to get a feel for the gun. This is a good case for a 22 and cheap ammo. A 22 is worthwhile just to get used to shooting and serves to prep you for a larger caliber pistol.

Where would you store these guns if you got them?

Photograph the serial numbers and guns for positive id. Mark them with metal stamps or other means in an obscure place and of course photograph it.

A motion sensor game camera from Cabellas might be a good bet to set up. Trim any overgrown shrubs from around the house.

Oh, a nice knife might be a good back up.
I bet this beats the hell out of a .22 LR. Just a hunch! .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4NeS0ezWMA

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM

Wiki~ Like the 7.62x25mm Tokarev, the .357 SIG works well when shooting through barriers. The round's ability to penetrate barriers is the main reason for its adoption by law enforcement agencies. However, other documented police shootings have confirmed the round's ability not to overpenetrate the body, even though ballistic gelatin shows 16 inches (410 mm) of penetration through heavy clothing (125 grain Speer Gold Dot). The Virginia State Police have had several documented officer-related shootings involving the .357 SIG, and in every case, not only were the suspects stopped instantly with one shot (except one who was shot several times while attempting to murder an officer), the bullet either did not exit the suspect, or was stopped in the clothing upon exiting, proving that even at such high velocities, the round when used with adequate expanding hollowpoints will not over penetrate soft tissue. The same department has also reported that attacking dogs have been stopped dead in their tracks by a single shot, whereas the former subsonic 147 grain 9 mm duty rounds would require multiple shots to incapacitate the animals.[11] The energy available in the .357 SIG is sufficient for imparting hydrostatic shock with well designed bullets.[2][3][12] Recent publication of human autopsy results has demonstrated brain hemorrhaging from fatal hits to the chest with 9mm bullets.[4]

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM

If you have ever fired or owned a 357 SIG you will know this tune was made for it! You can't take one to the range without almost everyone stopping to say....... "holy crap, WTH was that"? I own several in both GLOCKS and SIGS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QToAz...layer_embedded

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM

I've had a blast chatting with people in this thread. You have more than what you need OP. It's been fun! I'll let the others take over now!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Maybe someone mentioned this and I missed it, but about 25 years ago a friend of mine lost her little son when he found one of her boyfriends (too) many loaded guns and accidentally shot himself in the face playing with it. I had expressed concern about them not locking the guns up, but he called me stupid and anti-gun (I'm not; I used to own a .38 when I lived in a bad neighborhood) and said a gun did no good if it was locked up when a robber broke into the house. If you don't have kids - that's different. The really sad part is that they never once had a break-in or any other reason to be so fearful that they had to have so many loaded guns in the house.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Axel, Kracer has a point, which is no bad guys like leaking much. A .22 LR is better than a rock, and a .22 mag is better than 2 rocks. My back up is a NAA mini convertable, real handy in a pocket too.

Now I know it is a back up, a real last ditch back up, but it's still better than 2 rocks, besides I don't carry any rocks often.

But then in all my vehicals I do carry a ice pick test light and a VOM, just cheap insurance that I won't get stranded on the road by some fluke electrical problem. The ice pick has been used at night to just make light to see by, and the meter used to fix the problem.

In day light I might have just used the ice pick light sine it is Go / No Go and so faster.

Having a back up, lends more options, but you know that.

BTW there is a pretty loug noise and a fairly large fire ball from a mini with mags. Don't do what I did I tested that mini in the barn shooting a piece of fire wood. Oh man was that thing loud in the barn. The weather was simply nasty that day, and i didn't want any water on my new gun.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Axel, Kracer has a point, which is no bad guys like leaking much. A .22 LR is better than a rock, and a .22 mag is better than 2 rocks. My back up is a NAA mini convertable, real handy in a pocket too.

Now I know it is a back up, a real last ditch back up, but it's still better than 2 rocks, besides I don't carry any rocks often.

But then in all my vehicals I do carry a ice pick test light and a VOM, just cheap insurance that I won't get stranded on the road by some fluke electrical problem. The ice pick has been used at night to just make light to see by, and the meter used to fix the problem.

In day light I might have just used the ice pick light sine it is Go / No Go and so faster.

Having a back up, lends more options, but you know that.

BTW there is a pretty loug noise and a fairly large fire ball from a mini with mags. Don't do what I did I tested that mini in the barn shooting a piece of fire wood. Oh man was that thing loud in the barn. The weather was simply nasty that day, and i didn't want any water on my new gun.
Well Mac, I don't have to teach you much if anything! You are smart enough to know a caliber like that is a back-up and use it accordingly. Sometimes you just can't carry anything any bigger. Some people even roll those North American Arms .22 MAG and .22 LR micro revolvers up in a stocking cap. That is a small handgun that is used as a hideout or as a 3rd gun. That's not your primary weapon and it can work in a situation like that. People recommend a .22 LR. Oh really? You would own just a .22 LR handgun as your primary and "only" weapon! Remember, this is a lady here. If the guy is pumped on PCP, meth, coke or whatever, he will put up a fight!! That's for damn sure! Sure a .22 LR is a lethal weapon, however the guy might just kill you and your family before he decides to die. You just can't afford to have a go with a knife, gun, or blunt object attacker if you are a woman. Hell, I don't like getting cut either before the guy goes down. People are shot with .22's all the time and still make it to get help. That should tell you something about the caliber! Just put one right in his eye you say! That's a lot of smack talking there. Under stress, you might just be lucky enough to get off a round anywhere, much less hit in a place like that. Everyone is a crack shot nowadays! How many of you have actually been shot at for real? I have, and it sure ain't like the movies I'm telling ya! You are buying one firearm OP. Add a .22 later if you wish. You can't afford to take the chance using it as a primary. At least you know that too Mac!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness