Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

i have a frined who rasies canadas (along with other species) for a hatchery busness, any eggs that dont sell and hatch out are raised and butchers...

aparently they make for very tastey meat.
becuase they were hatchery raised (and kept clipped) theres no law against it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
The geese will only be as plentiful as their food supply. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned loss of this food's food sources in a real SHTF scenario.

If the SHTF hard enough to affect the water supply and thus large-scale ag (think thousands upon thousands of acres of corn, wheat, soy, alfalfa, etc.), along with all those golf courses that the geese are fond of, then their food sources will dwindle and they'll move on.

We'd be left to hunt coyotes, rats, and feral cats/dogs (among other things).

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM

97 posts, read 220,257 times
Good point Shuffler

If things really fall apart, every aspect of 'normal' life will be affected...farming is a big one. It does boil down to the 'carrying capacity' of the land, whether it be animal, plants, or people.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
TracySam,

Why don't you plan on eating Sea Gulls instead of Canadian Geese? There are many more of them, and no one would complain except game officers. You apparently haven't eaten very many geese in your life, they don't taste at all like chicken or turkeys. You would have to develope a taste for them. They are no harder to butcher than any other bird. Picking them, however, is different than picking a chicken, because of the down next to the body. If worse came to worse and TSHTF I think you would find the supply of geese would be depleted in no time, as would be wild game animals. I don't think any of us realize the dire circumstances we would all face. I suspect much of the population would starve. Stop and think for just a moment, if you didn't have food stored up, where would your next meal come from? Think about the millions of people who would be out scrounging for food just like you would be without a food supply saved up.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Hadn't considered seagulls, but they seem to be smaller targets, and not as plentiful where I live, unless there's a storm at the shore. And they look about as satisfying as a buffalo wing.

I just thought of the geese because they seem to be everywhere. At least twice a week I have to stop my car on the way to work when they cross the street in front of me. Plus they seem pretty big & plump. I'm sure aquiring the taste for them won't be a problem if food is scarce. I also don't have faith in the enforcement of game laws after something apocalyptic happens.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I wonder what sea gull tastes like? Not good I bet, worse than goose, and I really don't like goose, or duck, wild anyway. As a wee lad I got ducks often, geese not so often, but I never liked them at all to eat. My father and his 2nd wife did though, and I would just dig steamed clams for me.

Thar's nuthin quite like gutting a goose for stink IMO, whew......

Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Since the topic is Canada geese, thought I might share a true story.

My ex brother-in-law owned a fairly large farm in the Florida panhandle. On that farm was a sizable stock pond that migrating ducks and geese often use as a roost. During one of my visits over a Thanksgiving weekend, the Canada geese were settling down on the pond just after sundown, and leaving just about sunup. The B-i-L decided he wanted to harvest a few geese.

Never being one to be handicapped by the game laws, he waited until about 3 hours after dark, then had me drive his truck and drop him and his Remington 1100 off below the 20-foot levee. While he was climbing to the top and getting into position, I was to drive the long way around to the other end of the pond, then sweep the truck's headlights across the water.

As I did so I saw about a dozen geese take off, staying low and heading straight towards the B-i-L. I saw and heard one shot -- then silence. Having hunted with him quite a lot, I knew that something just wasn't right. When I got back to him, the B-i-L was at the base of the levee, covered from head to toe in mud and swearing a blue streak. His shotgun was nowhere to be seen.

It turns out that the B-i-L's first (and only) shot instantly killed the lead bird, a pretty hefty one. The bird's low altitude and its momentum caused it to crash straight into the B-i-L's chest, knocking him backside-over-brisket down the levee.

Once I got the truck's headlights onto the levee, he found the goose pretty quickly -- in fact, it was nearly impossible to miss. After about 15 more minutes of searching and swearing, the B-i-L found his shotgun partially buried (barrel first, of course).

You know the most difficult part of it? Keeping a straight face...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM

I could tell you a true tail about Fla gattors, but it would be off topic. Dumb Yankee boy, smart Fla gattor....

Old 01-06-2011, 02:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I could tell you a true tail about Fla gattors, but it would be off topic. Dumb Yankee boy, smart Fla gattor....
I've never felt more alive in my life than the time the B-i-L and I were wading out of a Florida Panhandle marsh just after sunset, carrying the four ducks we shot (B-i-L 3, me 1). Dry ground was more than 100 yards away, I was in water and mud nearly up to my - uh - billfold, and it was so dark I could barely see. Then a bull 'gator roared, real close.

But we were talking about geese...

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Down that way I had work cutting cypress. I worked with a shorter lad, and that black water was up to his chin, my chest, and a black water snake swam in front of him just crossing. He didn't like any sankes and so he ran this walk on water thing I had never seen in real life before

I still have a hard time believing I saw what I saw. It must have been a religious moment for a fact LOL

neva' did get him to come back to work. Sometimes I just can't help my self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness