Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
you are asleep? If you are in bed and hear someone breaking into your house, what is your go to gun for home protection...again while you are in bed asleep?
I just heard an interview with a reformed "home invader." He said their goal was to be in the house with a gun in your sleeping mouth in 5 seconds. They went out in the woods and practiced every situation over and over ... how much do you practice?

We have a Sig right next to the bed, but our best line of defense is our Chihuahua guardian force. Those two little twits can hear you hiccup at 50 yards. And they know the difference between the neighbor's trucks and a stranger's truck. They might be tiny but their life purpose is to protect us. It doesn't matter what you have as long as you have enough warning to get yer hands on it.

Here's the advice I've gotten from cops. Works for me. "Have dogs. And make your house harder to get into than your neighbors. don't leave the blinds open when it's dark outside and lights are on inside. Don't be flashy about what you own (ie, talking about your stuff, putting the boxes for that big screen TV, new computer, media system, etc out where the world can see them, bragging on Facebook about what you have and do... like that.) And practice! At least once a month get to the range."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiveintohell View Post
I must be paranoid.....am I the only one with punji pits in the hall way, and swing traps by the bedroom door?

I had to look up punji pits. Glad I did! If TSHTF, they'll complement the Caltrops in my yard nicely.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
I had to look up punji pits.

Speaking of pits and traps...

I had an interesting but super-paranoid coworker that talked about creating choke point paths with fencing and prickly shrubs to and from his yard that funneled traffic to a few specific egress points. As humans are by nature lazy, they used those paths when passing through his yard. He said that he preferred the choke paths to not having control of how people moved through his space.

At one point he had problems with teenagers transitioning his yard and causing petty theft and vandalism issues so he saved up months worth of dog poo and dug a wide foot deep trench in the choke point that the kids always used and filled it with the poo. He said that the first time they hit the poo pit the shrieks woke him up. It took only a few times and the kids never went through his yard again.

We all had a good laugh at that story. I had no doubt that it was true knowing what that guy was capable of.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Anyone looking for big stuff? Here's a Bira Gun, a Nepalese variant of a Gardner.

:

Note the single barrel. It's chambered for .577-450. It is for sale; but it's not cheap. It is an antique, so there's no paperwork.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The .577/450 round. Well known from two of my favorite movies, " Zulu" and " The Man who would be King". You can buy those old Martini Henry rifles and they can be cleaned up to shooting condition. My local Cabela's has a brass Gatling Gun from the 1870s for sale that uses 45/70 rounds.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM

AK-Cathy - he may have been paranoid, but that's really not a bad idea. Sure cured the trespassing kids!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
he may have been paranoid, but that's really not a bad idea. Sure cured the trespassing kids!

Fact! That I remembered this and a number of his other stories over all these years might tell as much about me...

Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Nothing wrong with that. You never know when info like that might come in handy. If I can foil a home invasion with a poop pit instead of having to draw my gun, that's a good thing.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I had to look up punji pits.

Speaking of pits and traps...

I had an interesting but super-paranoid coworker that talked about creating choke point paths with fencing and prickly shrubs to and from his yard that funneled traffic to a few specific egress points. As humans are by nature lazy, they used those paths when passing through his yard. He said that he preferred the choke paths to not having control of how people moved through his space.

At one point he had problems with teenagers transitioning his yard and causing petty theft and vandalism issues so he saved up months worth of dog poo and dug a wide foot deep trench in the choke point that the kids always used and filled it with the poo. He said that the first time they hit the poo pit the shrieks woke him up. It took only a few times and the kids never went through his yard again.

We all had a good laugh at that story. I had no doubt that it was true knowing what that guy was capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
AK-Cathy - he may have been paranoid, but that's really not a bad idea. Sure cured the trespassing kids!
I like it! I've thought of several "natural annoying kid deterrents"-- first idea was wild rose bushes, then stinging nettle, then Russian olive... and then I came up with what I thought to be the ultimate idea: poison oak/ivy or better yet, poison sumac. But I had not thought about a poop pit. I think that one wins.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 PM

97 posts, read 220,182 times
Allright, after 10 pages, I'll weighin.
They DON'T get in the house without goin past the D O G
He is the alarm, the Handgun is on the nightstand next to the bed.
The Mrs. is grabbin the 12 ga. from under the bed.
They gotta get up them stairs, right?
Lots of blood to clean up, & it ain't ours.

That's all I gotta say 'bout that. ........Forest Gump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness