Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Whoops. Here I am saying BIRD when I should have said BUCK.

What I want to express is that its pellets, not slug on the first 2 rounds.

Thanks for the correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I wonder if the Deputy meant to say buckshot? You'd be lucky if birdshot even penetrated the perp's clothing.

I always think about the most likely scenerio for a home invasion, which in my area would probably be thieves or meth heads desperate for money. The garden variety thieves will probably leave when they hear the dog. A crazed meth head is a different animal though. Cops have had meth heads keep attacking after shooting them in the chest multiple times. I wouldn't even trust buckshot, in that scenerio, or count on a dog stopping them either.

I think people tend to put too much faith in the bravery of their dogs. I'd bet that the majority of dogs will not keep attacking an intruder to save you, once he hurts them, unless they're trained to do it. There are some exceptions, of course. But it's not that hard to stop a biting dog (pitbulls excepted, once they latch on). Multiple dogs would be harder to stop. But, even then, all a couple of thieves would have to do is have one guy distracting (or killing) your dog(s) in one part of the house while the other breaks in the window of another room.

Dogs might act real aggressive when a stranger knocks on the door, but they can sense a much more serious threat and a lot of them would save themselves. Unless you've actually had your dog attack someone, or trained him to, don't assume they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
They are also your friends and neighbors... ordinary people. They can be your friend as long as you don't do something stupid or make comments like you just did. I am a police officer and I drive around talking to people all the time, complimenting them on their yard or just saying good morning. What if your brother was an officer? Would you watch your back all the time? Get a life and stop reading the anti-government websites.

There is a place for your profession, but there is a lot of cleaning up to be done with in. You seem like one of the good guys to me though.

But don't pretend to be there for all, all the time.

I shot a man in the 80's and with bird shot, Number 7 and 1/2 size bird shot because that was my first time to ever need to defend my family in the middle of night, and so far the last.

I had the shot gun in one hand and the phone in the other. The dispacter basicly told me my problem was my problem, no one was going to be called out to assist me. I objected, and asked what does To Serve and Protect mean? His reply was The Police are not your personal body guards.

With that info I pulled the trigger, and told him a crime has been comitted come get your bad guy off my walk.

These days' and I am 59, most cops that pull me over are simply fishing. and I don't like it.

The last time I spoke with cops was after an accident in 09. I hit a jeep on a motorcycle, that hit a moose. I was surprised I didn't get a ticket.
Maybe that was because 87 feet 6 inches of rubber was on the road from both of my tires. Maybe it was because no one was injured, and the cops were happy, but I don't know.

They were in as much shock as anyone, and seeing a totaled jeep, the little damage to my bike, they didn't really belive this was the accident they were seeking. After shooting the moose they split the scene at a high rate of speed, looking for another crash.

These days it is getting very hard to not break some law... Almost impossible.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
They can be your friend as long as you don't do something stupid or make comments like you just did..
I want productive citizens for my friends and neighbors. You and your fellow government employees wouldn't have eaten breakfast if it weren't for me and other taxpayers. Don't say that you pay taxes. You live on taxes.

Quote:
I am a police officer and I drive around talking to people all the time, complimenting them on their yard or just saying good morning. What if your brother was an officer? Would you watch your back all the time? Get a life and stop reading the anti-government websites.
I'm sure you'd like to shut them down.

Realize that ordinary citizens fear and despise the police. We do not expect justice, but rather arrogance and abusive treatment.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Realize that ordinary citizens fear and despise the police. We do not expect justice, but rather arrogance and abusive treatment.

I relate to that. The Police may be something we must have, but a lot of people feel like we do, and for a zillion reasons. The Police need to Police themselves i guess, since no one else is allowed too.

I met a few good ones, but I met a lot more really bad ones too.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 AM

639 posts, read 1,290,095 times
The 9mm is under my pillow and the mossburg is under my bed.
If I have time I'll go for the mossburg, but if I wake up with someone standing over me, I'll use the 9mm.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
The 9mm is under my pillow and the mossburg is under my bed.
If I have time I'll go for the mossburg, but if I wake up with someone standing over me, I'll use the 9mm.

Why not just wear that 9 on your belt and be armed all the time? I carry a small revolver in my pants pocket any time I got pants on, at home. When I go out off this place I add a Govt .45.

It's winter and I don't have the best access to either gun under all circumstances, so 2 guns is better.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I relate to that. The Police may be something we must have, but a lot of people feel like we do, and for a zillion reasons. The Police need to Police themselves i guess, since no one else is allowed too.

I met a few good ones, but I met a lot more really bad ones too.
You are so right. I read your comment on another thread that police and school teachers should work for private citizens. I've thought this for at least forty years. Here's an example of more high-handed and threatening police behavior. It also involves another worst of the worst bunch, social workers. Government parasites work together.

Deputies seek protection after threatening family

Would you want these thugs at your home after you had just defended yourself and your family?

I just saw this one:

http://www.longislandlawyerblog.com/...ion-at-airport

I'm sorry I couldn't rep you; but the system said I had to spread it around first.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 02-27-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM

NP Hap...... I don't care much about rep. The rep is interesting if someone leaves a message.

Cops tried to frame me twice so far. First time I was 14 and it was murder 1. I was doing mouth to mouth on a dead man.
next time it was for power and greed. Framed for hit and run on a lamp post. In court I was found innocent, but that cop tried every trick in the book, and called my wife the 'c' word in the court room lobby. I', still watching him for a release from prison. He got his butt busted for 512 counts of child molestation

I only want 15 minutes with a bat. Those counts were reduced of course to 4 really big counts, and the good ol' boy system will probably protect him once he gets out and at tax paid expence likely.

I am a biker and have been since I was a kid. One good cop I knew well passed dubbies back and forth with me riding next to him. He refuse to bust anyone for pot. One time I was at my kitchen table blowin a few joints, and he came up the stairs in uniform. I was with friends and they saw his hat pass by the window, and blew out LOL. That was pretty funny.

That cop would come get me on the way to the beach if a broad decided to go topless, just so i could see too! I gave up smoking the wold woodland weeds in around 1990, and I really did inhale.

I guess I don't stand any chance at all at being the next Pres huh?

And yeah cops and everyone should get off the Govt Tit!

Once I had another cop buddy, never did trust him much, but he was semi cool. But he never did anything with out proper credit. he was into the old ways a little bit. I built him a musket for no charge. he assited in setting up a small event, but went nuts after not getting enough recognition. I help set that event up any chance i get and ask for nothing, no recognition what so ever.

He bragged to me about busting a drunk priest, and the priest begging for a little water. Everyone laffed at the old man (the priest) and he finally went face down in the jail toliet. That just set me off. My buddy was still laughing about that when he told me. It's too crazy for even me to make up.

These days I demand to be arrested when I get stopped if the cop is fishing too much. I get hot pretty fast with cops. Gimme a charge, arrest me and then we see what happens. Sort of putting their money where their mouth is.

Just read your link..... That's sad...

You might be interested in getting a paper copy of this. I lost the link to the pdf file.

Haven't had occasion to use this, but I bet if I do it will be fun.

Public Servant Questionnaire
Public law 93-579

I am typing from it.... let me know if you have any problem locating this file ok?

You should have 6 copies, incase anyone decides to fill it out If it works like it says it will stop most any public servant at the door. I wouldn't want to fill it out and then know a court will be seeing it.

If that link story happened to me I would give every single one of them a copy instantly. Probably charge for the paper and my time to copy it too.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM

166 posts, read 375,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
If you are in bed and hear someone breaking into your house, what is your go to gun for home protection...again while you are in bed asleep?
I choose another way. My go-to weapon of choice is the blade. Silent, quick, and no chance of malfunction. My machete is always within reach, and I also have several items about that could easily make a suitable shiv or lance. I keep precise in footwork and concealment so that I will move swiftly, deliberately, and with stealth to my target even in the dark. The moment someone enters my lair I will spring into a series of movements as calculated as a symphony. And it will end with a long but precise shank, delivered unto my intruder without hesitation or conscience.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
Not allowed to have a gun, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness