Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That depends on what getting water for you would be like if you lost all power a long time. If there is a good clean lake, pond, or river and you own a back pack filter that works well then you don't need to store any water.

If water would be hard to come by, by your own means, then it might be a good idea to have no less than 2 weeks water stored for every memeber of your family.

You need a lot more than two weeks worth of water stored!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Like I said it depends. I don't need any since i can take (2) 5 gallon buckets on a whim and get all I want any time I please. I would think you could to, but then with you there isn't any telling really. You seem to pay for the hard labor you get done.

I won't pay for anything I can do better.

I was meaning just to drink, no washing up, maybe for cooking but not really even that. lesser waters can be used for cooking since cooking boils water often and yoiu don't need driking ewater for a bath.

I don't think you are in any possition to correct me in terms of living off the land either. In fact i had the idea you knew better by now.

You beat me in fancy coffee and high maintance hairs though. That don't bother me a bit. Close as i get to coffe like that is Irish Cream, and I belive I will 'ave me a taste o that stuff this instant. Don't mind if I do.

In shtf i sure will miss the IC. These glasses are a sovenier my Bride brought home from Wales and aremade of lead chrystal with Viking ships etched on the glass. I like these very well.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Like I said it depends. I don't need any since i can take (2) 5 gallon buckets on a whim and get all I want any time I please. I would think you could to, but then with you there isn't any telling really. You seem to pay for the hard labor you get done.

I won't pay for anything I can do better.

I was meaning just to drink, no washing up, maybe for cooking but not really even that. lesser waters can be used for cooking since cooking boils water often and yoiu don't need driking ewater for a bath.

I don't think you are in any possition to correct me in terms of living off the land either. In fact i had the idea you knew better by now.

You beat me in fancy coffee and high maintance hairs though. That don't bother me a bit. Close as i get to coffe like that is Irish Cream, and I belive I will 'ave me a taste o that stuff this instant. Don't mind if I do.

In shtf i sure will miss the IC. These glasses are a sovenier my Bride brought home from Wales and aremade of lead chrystal with Viking ships etched on the glass. I like these very well.
No no no! Stock more you don't know when our water supply could be tampered with and we can survive a lot longer without food than water. Something to think about as well as owning your own home because your landlord could pull the plug on you at any time and all your preparations will mean nothing totally nothing!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

If he does the foods go with me. I know this land around here for miles and water isn't any problem. I can have all I can haul for the taking. No one can tamper with the springs i know. You forget I can live off the land years at a time.

Do you think in the tee pee I had hot and cold running water or could be bothered to even filter any of it? I should say not you have no idea of who and what yer dealing with.

I don't need the same things you need to survive, not even close. I know what real prolong no one to talk with survival is. I am close to the only one here who has any idea of what that is. The rest had a tool called money which i can do with out consistantly long term, and be happy I don't see msilly man kind. I will tell you what, a great deal of folks will plain up and die in terms of shtf from the fact they become loney. I doubt you will last that long and no shopping will be all it takes to kill you.

I knew these pains a long time ago and returned to the ways of man, but I do wonder if that was an error. In spring I am prepared to ealk away from man naked, and get the task done, and I do mean naked. I don't 'need' a thing man has to offer in shtf. I can make what I need and a lot more than that with tools I can build as I please from things no modern man would dream up. I can make a refined surgically sharp blade of local stone and start fire with local items only all made with my hands and gather foods and hunt with primitive weapons to me belly's content any blasted time I want.

No one here has anything on me, and while a modern education goes so far in my world it ain't worth squat. In my world there are no cops no silly lawyer no fancy coffee, but I will have coffee and straight from these woods. It lives here and I bet it lives in your back yard. You just don't know that, like so much you don't know.

I have no idea why you bother me, I don't try to bother you except when I fell being mischief is more fun for me than it will be for you. You haunt me and if you stop I will stop too.

You don't care a whit about me and so far as I can tell anyone else. My LL isn't going to get rid of me either. I earn him way too much green baqck dollars that he can afford to loose. I fix all his trucks trailers and heavy equipments for free, and cut his cord wood for free I why I even buy the gas and oil and many parts to install on tools trucks and machines that are not mine.

He brags to people about the garden and how I made the soil for an area 60 x 100 and i sure don't ask him to go about bragging about me. I just cut 6.5 cords of wood and split it, and then started a machine project and broke my finger dec 31st and he hasn't asked a thing of me since.

No I am not going anywhere, not for a long time and if I did I would select a B&B, be living help and do anything they want.

With water it's a good bet I know what to do and how to store it but I don't personally need to store any that isn't distilled and I made that too.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
If he does the foods go with me. I know this land around here for miles and water isn't any problem. I can have all I can haul for the taking. No one can tamper with the springs i know. You forget I can live off the land years at a time.

Do you think in the tee pee I had hot and cold running water or could be bothered to even filter any of it? I should say not you have no idea of who and what yer dealing with.

I don't need the same things you need to survive, not even close. I know what real prolong no one to talk with survival is. I am close to the only one here who has any idea of what that is. The rest had a tool called money which i can do with out consistantly long term, and be happy I don't see msilly man kind. I will tell you what, a great deal of folks will plain up and die in terms of shtf from the fact they become loney. I doubt you will last that long and no shopping will be all it takes to kill you.

I knew these pains a long time ago and returned to the ways of man, but I do wonder if that was an error. In spring I am prepared to ealk away from man naked, and get the task done, and I do mean naked. I don't 'need' a thing man has to offer in shtf. I can make what I need and a lot more than that with tools I can build as I please from things no modern man would dream up. I can make a refined surgically sharp blade of local stone and start fire with local items only all made with my hands and gather foods and hunt with primitive weapons to me belly's content any blasted time I want.

No one here has anything on me, and while a modern education goes so far in my world it ain't worth squat. In my world there are no cops no silly lawyer no fancy coffee, but I will have coffee and straight from these woods. It lives here and I bet it lives in your back yard. You just don't know that, like so much you don't know.

I have no idea why you bother me, I don't try to bother you except when I fell being mischief is more fun for me than it will be for you. You haunt me and if you stop I will stop too.

You don't care a whit about me and so far as I can tell anyone else. My LL isn't going to get rid of me either. I earn him way too much green baqck dollars that he can afford to loose. I fix all his trucks trailers and heavy equipments for free, and cut his cord wood for free I why I even buy the gas and oil and many parts to install on tools trucks and machines that are not mine.

He brags to people about the garden and how I made the soil for an area 60 x 100 and i sure don't ask him to go about bragging about me. I just cut 6.5 cords of wood and split it, and then started a machine project and broke my finger dec 31st and he hasn't asked a thing of me since.

No I am not going anywhere, not for a long time and if I did I would select a B&B, be living help and do anything they want.

With water it's a good bet I know what to do and how to store it but I don't personally need to store any that isn't distilled and I made that too.
Yes naked I'm sure I have done way more naked than you, but, that has little to do with water. What about a terrorrist attack on our water supply? This is a concern for us to store large amounts of water for us to drink.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM

What water supply are you tawkin about? You're not on any public water suppy any more than I am. So what water suppy are you tawkin'?

I do agree you naked is not mine, no where close, and not for the same reason. My reason would be a long term bet and the money would be held in escrow. The amount would depend on how long someone bet me I would last starting naked. it wouldn't be cheap and it would be a waste of the betting mans money. For additional money I would start my wife naked with me. The guy would see her in a swim suit and she would leave it in a tree i showed the guy, he would not get to see her naked.

We would return the day that was stated in any given year, and I would go with draw the money. The point of naked is to start with nothing and come back fat and happy.

A point for you might be to come back in a few hours also 'Fat' in 9 months and maybe happy.

I would assume you have already seen me 1/2 naked in the shots of last November, with tools I made but I wasn't carryin any water, but I could have been, and with nothing store bought man made.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
What water supply are you tawkin about? You're not on any public water suppy any more than I am. So what water suppy are you tawkin'?

I do agree you naked is not mine, no where close, and not for the same reason. My reason would be a long term bet and the money would be held in escrow. The amount would depend on how long someone bet me I would last starting naked. it wouldn't be cheap and it would be a waste of the betting mans money. For additional money I would start my wife naked with me. The guy would see her in a swim suit and she would leave it in a tree i showed the guy, he would not get to see her naked.

We would return the day that was stated in any given year, and I would go with draw the money. The point of naked is to start with nothing and come back fat and happy.

A point for you might be to come back in a few hours also 'Fat' in 9 months and maybe happy.

I would assume you have already seen me 1/2 naked in the shots of last November, with tools I made but I wasn't carryin any water, but I could have been, and with nothing store bought man made.
I'm taking groundwater supply being tainted. Since we are totally unsure of what is going to happen in this fan scenario I'm sort of thinking of a "worst case" scenario. I have to laugh that you envision your wife getting to wear a bathing suit though I guess you are much purer in your thoughts than I am....I'm always looking to get some! I am much worse than any man is Is your wife a hottie?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM

She is to me and no one else matters I guess. Any man I catch lookin at her naked so far has been a very unhappy man.

You can't possibly think a terrorist can polute the ground water across the USA and or in little NH thru out the entire state can you? Thar's no bloomin way a terrorist could polute every single spring in just the Ossippe range. That's totally out of the question. There is hundreds of clear springs in the state, and they can't really get poluted at the source. Hundred and hundreds of places to get water are right on the roads sides. There is one on Rt 3 in Pylmouth free for the taking and a pipe to the street, another on Rt 16 south of Gorham, also piped to the street, another in Bartlett off the west side road. There is more than that but i am not looking at map. I know hundred in the peaks of the Residential Range that stay open all winter. All over Rt 112 and Rt 116 are more, all along the AT trail are more.

Water here is no problem. In the coldest times of winter I have a bag I made of canvass and it holds 5 gallons of water. With a 1 gallon pot I can boil enough hot water you just add cold and shower by the stream maybe standing on a board so you are not on snow or mud in bare naked feet

Then dry by the fire.... I have done that oh perhaps 900 times or 900 hundred days.

If you live where you say you do, you should know of Bridalveil Falls off Rt 116. What terrorist is even going to know that water is there? You shouldn't even need to filter that water up by the falls and above it forget any filters. All Kinsman Ridge is covered in sopping wet clear water you have no need to filter, and if you think you do just wring out the moss.

No terrorist can do a thing about any of that. Not even if he had anthrax and a crop duster.

I know clear water all the way into canada and have been there in life hundreds of times.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
The most coste effective way to store large amounts of water over the long term is to store dry water. Another advantage of dry water is that it only takes up a fraction of the space and keeps well in sealed poly pails.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
The most coste effective way to store large amounts of water over the long term is to store dry water. Another advantage of dry water is that it only takes up a fraction of the space and keeps well in sealed poly pails.
That would be perfect, but, is it available commercially yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness