U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,153,973 times

Advertisements

For the past three years, someone has been inserting nails and screws in my rear tires. I have had five blow outs in the past three months. I just bought a new set of tires two weeks ago. Lo and behold, they drove another screw into the tire.

My brother was a mechanic (incl tire mechanic) for years and looked at the way the screw had been driven into the tire...well beyond what road pressure could have done. He is certain that it was done intentionally. He thinks someone is trying to kill me (he knows tire blow outs are dangerous). I have known the flat tires were intentional for two years.

I have no nails in my driveway.

I need to catch them on camera. I am sure they work at night. I do have a 120 volt power supply available for the camera.

I need it to be infrared, motion activated and I need a noise, or something, to let me know that something has entered the space so I can review the footage...and remove the newest tire screw.

This has been going on for three years now. I have bought over a dozen tires and had at least a dozen leaks/nails/screws repaired and removed.

Flat tires are so common lately that I replace them in five minutes. But they can be dangerous. It is also time consuming and expensive.

Thought maybe someone here knows of a good solution without spending too much? I'd like to get it done for less than a few hundred. I just got a motion activated alarm but I need video to catch this creep.

The neighborhood is average. I have not had flat tires until the past three years. It is always the rear tires...they are parked within six feet of the street. I have no other good place to park the car.

I hope this is the right forum. Couldn't find the perfect forum.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM

132 posts, read 429,227 times
Deer cam,such as those found in outfitter stores. I had a friend catch a thief with one . No need for AC voltage.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,173,767 times
Definitely the deer camera is the way to go. They are battery operated.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,362,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
For the past three years, someone has been inserting nails and screws in my rear tires. I have had five blow outs in the past three months. I just bought a new set of tires two weeks ago. Lo and behold, they drove another screw into the tire.

My brother was a mechanic (incl tire mechanic) for years and looked at the way the screw had been driven into the tire...well beyond what road pressure could have done. He is certain that it was done intentionally. He thinks someone is trying to kill me (he knows tire blow outs are dangerous). I have known the flat tires were intentional for two years.

I have no nails in my driveway.......
Hopefully you have kept record of these flats and taken photos of the damage to the tires. Hopefully you have already contacted your local law enforcement agency to alert them of the goings on with your vehicle. The number of times this has happened could warrent stalking charges should you catch the individual(s) responsible.

Yes, a camera is best bet. Some of the newer deer cams can shoot either photos or video in infra-red. They are not inexpensive. Check Cabela's bargain cave for used if you have one in your area. Maybe you have hunting buddies who will loan you one? A security camera plugged into your cigarette lighter and inside your vehicle facing out (concealed of course) may also help catch the perp. .

Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hopefully you have kept record of these flats and taken photos of the damage to the tires. Hopefully you have already contacted your local law enforcement agency to alert them of the goings on with your vehicle. The number of times this has happened could warrent stalking charges should you catch the individual(s) responsible.

Yes, a camera is best bet. Some of the newer deer cams can shoot either photos or video in infra-red. They are not inexpensive. Check Cabela's bargain cave for used if you have one in your area. Maybe you have hunting buddies who will loan you one? A security camera plugged into your cigarette lighter and inside your vehicle facing out (concealed of course) may also help catch the perp. .
Thanks for the ideas folks.

Yes....the problem right now is concealment. If I can somehow hide it in the car or underneath the car.....

Another is that I hardly ever know that a screw or nail got picked up for several days, or more, I think.

I am looking at deer cams now. Lots of choices for sure.

I need one that tells me it "caught something".

Edit: This looks like a can of worms.
Reviews on the various cameras are just all over the place.
Flash would notify the perpetrator
No real good place to hide it except for under the car. Real nuisance to position it every night and remove it in the morning.
I think even the infrared models (they have LED lights) would notify the perp that his picture has been taken. Then he can steal the camera.
The street is six feet away, I don't want a picture of every car that drives by.
I need a camera with a counter that tells me it took a picture. A lot of these cameras take a picture when the wind blows. Lots of false alarms.
Some work pretty well during the day...night is a lot tougher.

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 01-09-2011 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,513,109 times
Don't count out this may be happening at work. I drive my old beater DD to work as the parking lot where I work at is full of deadbeat azzholes that get jealous if you drive somethan nice.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,301,815 times
What about a private eye? I don't know how much that would cost, but having someone on the street concealed could offer police a first hand account, plus photos of the perp and his/her vehicle if they use one. I understand that you don't when this happens, but if you could lay out when past events have happened, you may find that they more likely happen in the first week of month or something like that.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Don't count out this may be happening at work. I drive my old beater DD to work as the parking lot where I work at is full of deadbeat azzholes that get jealous if you drive somethan nice.
Possible....if I had a regular job. I'm self employed and go to good 'commercial' neighborhoods. Nobody is going to insert screws into tires in broad daylight....30 times.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 23,569,231 times
If you don't park in a driveway in about the same spot it's gonna be hell getting a camera to do it. Most likely it's someone living near by.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If you don't park in a driveway in about the same spot it's gonna be hell getting a camera to do it. Most likely it's someone living near by.
I do park in a driveway in the same spot. But there is no decent place to conceal a camera.

I am looking at IR trail (deer) cameras. They appear to use LEDs to supplement lighting. Doesn't spook animals but it would alert the perp.

I know there is a solution, I just have not found it yet.

He/she strikes about once a month. Often enough to wreak havoc but not often enough to easily catch them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness