Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

CO is created when you burn things however poisoning is usually the result of a malfunction. For example a coal stove produces fly ash and you have to clean this out periodically, if you dont it could block the flue and gases like CO can back up into the house. A more conventional example is natural gas or oil burning unit that is malfunctioning and you're getting incomplete combustion of the fuel and a lot of CO is produced. This is the most common cause of CO poisoning.

When you have complete combustion of a fuel there is very little CO produced, this is why you can have ventless gas heaters, natural gas stoves for cooking or similar to candle a kerosene heater

A properly burning candle or lamp will not produce enough CO at least short term over a few days. Since CO is a cumulative effect I'd venture to guess it might be issue over many days/weeks if you were in confined space without any fresh air. Just make sure your candle or lamp is properly trimmed and it's not producing any soot which is sure sign of incomplete combustion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
That's something most people don't know - that carbon monoxide poisoning is cumulative (as is frostbite damage). I just learned that this year and it makes me want to take the vent free heater out of our cabin. The guys are too careless about making sure there's airflow going through the building.

Candles in a vehicle wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats losing your toes or fingers, if you have no other options. Crack a window and don't fall asleep. Hand and foot warmers would be easier though. If I was in a rural place where help was unlikely, I'd probably pitch a couple of tarps, throw my sleeping bag in there and start a fire.

I don't think the OP will need that option, sounds like he's not that far from home and would likely have other traffic out there with him. In that case, I'd just carry stuff that would keep me warm if AAA couldn't get there and I had to walk home. Maybe water and a power bar, if it was more than a few miles. I'd be carrying a gun, of course, unless I was in a commie state, then I'd have a knife. Or if it was NY, a big stick.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I guess people plan to breathe CO2 when the O2 is gone. CO has killed people in a few minutes. It's colorless, odorless, and tasteless. CO poisoning of ten reaches a critical stage with no symptoms. But I won't complain; I'm a Social Darwinist.

Before you write a post about my error, think of people who have died in closed areas, e.g. miners. It is the same.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
That's something most people don't know - that carbon monoxide poisoning is cumulative (as is frostbite damage). I just learned that this year and it makes me want to take the vent free heater out of our cabin. The guys are too careless about making sure there's airflow going through the building.
Any gas in large quantities is going to pose a risk, for example CO2 extinguishers have killed a lot of people because they have set them off in enclosed space. They are overcome by the gas, go unconscious and eventually they suffocate. Simply going outside in fresh air is the cure. CO on the other hand is of particular concern because of the way it kills. It bonds with the hemoglobin in your blood and it can no longer absorb oxygen. Even at lower doses this will build up over time, fresh air will not help. Even with immediate medical attention you can still die, time is the cure.

As far as the ventless gas heaters go I'd never have one in my house, there is a lot speculation that even low non fatal exposure to CO over an extended period of time is very unhealthy. My greater concern would be if it malfunctions and you get incomplete combustion becsue all the gases are vented into the house. You can get CO detectors with read out that will tell you what the PPM is.

Quote:
Before you write a post about my error, think of people who have died in closed areas, e.g. miners
Different gas commonly referred to as "black damp", it's mixture of CO2 and nitrogen. Heavier than air it's common on the mine floor. Here's video if you're interested:

http://www2.ironminers.com/chris/MOV08697.MPG

Just a FYI but CO has nearly the same specific gravity of "air" hence the reason it can easily move through a house along natural air currents.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just a FYI but CO has nearly the same specific gravity of "air" hence the reason it can easily move through a house along natural air currents.
Of course. The molecular weight of O2 is 32, of CO is 28. Since one mole of any gas occupies 22.4 liters at standard temperature and pressure as well as is subject to the same gas laws, O2 has a specific gravity just a bit higher than CO.

My point was exactly what's on the video. If you combine the oxygen with something else, there's none to breathe. The candles in the car will produce some amount of CO. They will also use up the O2 in forming CO2. That's what kills miners far more often than CO. The video you posted is an excellent illustration.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The candles in the car will produce some amount of CO.
Yes but its inconsequential because its such a small amount. For example you can burn a kerosene heater in a house... it's the same concept.

Quote:
They will also use up the O2 in forming CO2. That's what kills miners far more often than CO. The video you posted is an excellent illustration.
Actually the coal absorbs the oxygen and produces CO2 but that's for another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness