Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You could have gone in and edited the formatting out of it. If it was *that* important you should have taken the time to do it. Most people will not make the effort to wade through it the way it is.

20yrsinBranson

I would have if I knew how. I simply don't know how. The tax bit is what I was interested in people seeing.

If you want and feel like you want, you sure can, I won't mind.

If you don't, that was the best I could do. I am not trained, I just hunt and peck, and copy and paste is my only skill

At first it looked good, then it looked bad.

I thought it would be regular black and white text like I have now. PC skills and me are lacking baddly sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
What do you folks think about what is happening in the ME ?
Tunisia, Yemen, Jordan and now Egypt ?

I read the same thing over and over...government corruption, high unemployment, high food prices and increasing poverty.

Are the seams starting to come unhinged ? The more wealthy countries would surely feel it last..the question is how strong will the reaction be.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
It's a very good book, couldn't put it down, I think I read it in 2 sittings maybe. Weird thing though, is I always see people using that book as some sort of crystal ball to what will happen in the event of a disaster. I think its plausible, but it seems to get lost that it is indeed a work of fiction... I am not saying that with you guys, just most times I see that book talked about people really act like its total fact to what would happen.

Well, I don't necessarily think it would happen, but that type of terrorism is definitely possible.

When our area had an ice storm two years ago that prevented grocer trucks from delivering to the stores, the shelves started to run out of items for the holidays. People were already getting nasty from panic and taking it out on the store clerks.

Plus we've seen the local effects from regional disasters. Imagine if it's something nationwide where there's no assistance outside our immediate areas. Quite frankly, I don't think I'd even want to try and survive it.

Very scary and I don't want that book to prove true! But it's a very good survival took nevertheless.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What do you folks think about what is happening in the ME ?
Tunisia, Yemen, Jordan and now Egypt ?

I read the same thing over and over...government corruption, high unemployment, high food prices and increasing poverty.

Are the seams starting to come unhinged ? The more wealthy countries would surely feel it last..the question is how strong will the reaction be.
That's a really good question too. I don't know the answer in the USA.
I only know what ever it is, it won't be good.

Those with preps and skills in old ways will do the best. Those with preps may do ok, depending.

Those with no preps and no skills will do baddly very quickly, and probably die sooner than they should.

The last thing I know, is I sure would not want to be a TAX enforcer of any kind. They will be hated by everyone.

I think I know that the farther away we move from the CONS the closer we move to mob rule. That works like the tide or maybe a sea saw, just slower.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

454 posts, read 940,259 times
Something is coming, more and more people talk about sensing something even if they aren't much in tune to the politics of the world. I have been feeling something off kilter for about 4 years, many other people have felt it coming for decades. Recent world political developments, natural disasters and rising prices of commodities are all coming together to form some sort of global disaster. If you are one that couldn't see it coming before, I hope the events unfolding in Egypt will open your eyes and that you will start to get yourself and your household as ready as you possibly can for what we are about to be in store for.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I don't necessarily think it would happen, but that type of terrorism is definitely possible.

When our area had an ice storm two years ago that prevented grocer trucks from delivering to the stores, the shelves started to run out of items for the holidays. People were already getting nasty from panic and taking it out on the store clerks.

Plus we've seen the local effects from regional disasters. Imagine if it's something nationwide where there's no assistance outside our immediate areas. Quite frankly, I don't think I'd even want to try and survive it.

Very scary and I don't want that book prove true! But it's a very good survival took nevertheless.

Why not? I remember very well in the mid 90s several states lost power. I was living in CA at that time.

I think it was 7 western states that were effected. I remember thinking back then what is causing this and is this some precursor for some terrorist act.

I remember it was a Saturday afternoon which made it easier to get home from where I was since there were no traffic lights.

A couple of years after that the whole city of San Francisco lost power and terrorism was suspected.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Something is coming, more and more people talk about sensing something even if they aren't much in tune to the politics of the world. I have been feeling something off kilter for about 4 years, many other people have felt it coming for decades. Recent world political developments, natural disasters and rising prices of commodities are all coming together to form some sort of global disaster. If you are one that couldn't see it coming before, I hope the events unfolding in Egypt will open your eyes and that you will start to get yourself and your household as ready as you possibly can for what we are about to be in store for.

I agree with you, but Americans see these things happen and they turn and say that will never happen here.

Then when it does something as small as Katrina they panic and go nuts. Now that storm was big for a storm, but it wasn't as if that storm was Yellow Stone going off either.

For me it's all about Govt controll power and greed. Exactly what is going on in Greece the Med areas and Egypt right now.

Boil it down the price of bread. No modern American living now but maybe a very few elderly have seen anthing like it.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM

The east has had ice storms where all New England states, Ny state not a New England state, and a hell of a lot of eastern Canada was lights out. Where I was, there was no power for gasoline stations or power for store freezers for 3 weeks. I was asked to go to stores for things the store did not have, The stores stunk of rotten everything, the shelves were stripped bare and the store manager led people around to see with a flashlight, one by one.

For a little while dry goods like flour and sugar were in stock but that all ran out too long before the power came back on. Some people bought pet foods in bags or cans and ate that stuff!

I set up a car radio in my dwelling just to be ammused hearing the whine. People had foods and they had ice but could not seem to put the 2 togther.

I wasn't one of them. I dumped out 4 metal file cabinets of papers. I dragged the file cabinets to the porch facing north, and put in all the frozen foods I had next to them. I took the drawers empty outside under the ice laden trees and shot bird shot into the trees filling the drawers with ice.

I lugged these drawers to the porch and loaded them into the cabinets with the foods and that was that. I ate well, and made donuts and coffee non stop to feed work crews that whole time. I invited tired workers to my dwelling for rest, and scare every last one who came with 80 degree indoor temps from the wood stove and the smells of strong coffee and donuts frying.

The crews thought I had power back on some how. LOL

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
All I know is, if all the social programs (food stamps, housing assistance, unemployment, "disability", medicaid) that are propping up so many of the citizens in my community were suddenly to run dry and be cut off, the rest of us better grab our weapons and head for cover.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
All I know is, if all the social programs (food stamps, housing assistance, unemployment, "disability", medicaid) that are propping up so many of the citizens in my community were suddenly to run dry and be cut off, the rest of us better grab our weapons and head for cover.
Yeah. They say when people are starving it only takes 2 weeks before they resort to cannibalism. Yikes! They will probably try to round up everyone and put them in the empty detention camps they have waiting all throughout the country the way they did to the Japanese..but they let the Japanese back out eventually.

If you want to get the "heads up" on what is going on before everyone else does, regularly check www.drudgereport.com and www.infowars.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness