Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Heat the water to boiling, then turn off the heat and let it cool. Unless it's located in a subzero environment it will remain at over 165 degrees long enough to kill all pathogens. That's the magic number. There are a few organisms living in hot springs with temperatures up to possibly 180 F. but you're unlikely to encounter them. Besides, they're unlikely to harm you. The boiling point of water is 212 F. at sea level, 193 at 10,000', and 176 at 20,000'. So if you're near the summit of Mt. McKinley keep it boilng for 15 minutes.

Backpacker did some research a few years ago indicating that only boiling or chemicals work. The people who used the vaunted and expensive filters became ill.
He was talking about pollution like MTBE which boiling will not solve unless you completely distill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 04:05 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Sorry, guys. If it is really TEOTWAWKI, then you have the option of developing a tough immune system or dying. It doesn't matter what you do, you won't have a germ-free environment.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
He was talking about pollution like MTBE which boiling will not solve unless you completely distill it.
I discussed distillation earlier in this thread. But in a survival situation I doubt that people would be terribly concerned with a chemical that does nothing more than produce an off taste in the water. I suspect that virtually all of those squealing about it are also fans of the discredited global warming scare.

I know that if TEOTWAWKI happens my main focus will be defence as well as protection and acquisition of wealth. I certainly won't neglect safe food and water but those who didn't make preparations beforehand will be in much the same situation as those who didn't make sure that they have the proper weapons to successfully defend themselves against large numbers. They'll die.

I'm already at my retreat and have a safe water supply. The time to acquire both knowledge and supplies and a safe location is now. In a survival situation of any sort it will be the time to use knowledge and supplies.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
I must point out that your idea that "many people can live off the land" in northern VT, NH and Maine is not true. We have a VERY short growing season, about 8 weeks. Our soils are not good for farming. As to hunting, if you are not an expert hunter already, you can forget it. There is a saying around here: "If you can successfully shoot a deer in NH, you can shoot a deer ANYWHERE." And also, if the land has any self-sufficiency whatsoever, a family will be living on it--and this family WILL defend their property with guns.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthestorm View Post
This thread is for dialogue purposes. I don't pretend to have the final say but hope to raise some good ideas/ opinions. A bug out location for this post's purposes is a place one moves to to fend for themselves/ live off the land BEFORE society "breaks down"…. and not just a place to exit to for the short term…

PS I don't believe in a selfish-head for the hills mentality- but rather a mentality of preparedness to preserve life and order in order to help people through AND AFTER societal calamity…

The worst first-
Number one worst- Los Angeles
-number one on the drought list
-dangerous
-no rain when irrigation fails
-no land to farm
-earthquakes, fires etc.
-tsunamis
-food shortages/ too many people/ riots
-could be nuked from the ocean
If things bugged out I wouldn't go to LA...

Number two worst-NYC
-8 million people on a 14 mile island?
- looting, riots etc
- no way to fend for myself.

Number three worst- San Fran /Bay area
- earthquakes
-dangerous
-will not be law-abiding in emergency situation(IMHO)

Number 4 worst- AZ, TX, NM
- no water
-Mexican border problems/ crime/ kidnapping
-difficult to fend for yourself/ live off the land in these places.

Number 5- Any place without water/ (and Florida)

Top Five Best Places?

Number one- Alaska If you can brave the temps and outdoors this would be my number one selection…probably very safe.

Number two- Remote Northeast- VT, NH, NY state(Maine has pollution issue(although others may too) from Ohio industry) These places may allow you to live off the land. Still cold but most warm weather spots won't have sufficient water. If there is a mass exodus from the cities(BOS/NY) then you may have trouble.

Number three- VA/West VA/ TN/ Kentucky
-Many places here farm already and are rural and remote. You will probably have water.

Number four-Northwest(WA/N.Idaho, OR)
-These places may be remote enough and give you enough water. You may be able to protect yourself as well.

Number five best? _______(What do you think?)
Old post, I know.

Maine is the cleanest State I have lived in and to my knowledge the only pollution is residual contaminants in some coastal areas left over from Maine's ship-building days. Inland, it is almost pristine...Unless you consider Allen's Coffee Brandy a pollutant (if you are from Maine, you probably won't ).

Maine has three problems, though. The big one is that the soil is not really conducive to farming in many areas. And if you find an area with suitable soil...it is most likely covered with trees as is practically the entire State. And third, still, if you were to find an area suitable to homestead you will have the locals to deal with...who would not appreciate your presence.

I never got the whole bug-out thing.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Really, the best bug out location is on a sailboat. Generate your own power, catch your own fish, and drop anchor in seriously out-of-the-way places. It's even possible to create your own diesel with organic matter (Although I haven't bothered to learn how). Team up with a flotilla of other sailboats for mutual defense and make your way to a part of the world where civilization is still intact.

One woman I kept track with made it from Rhode Island to New Zealand in 180 days nonstop on a 25-foot sailboat with nothing more than a bunch of canned food and a camp stove, even sailing through the Roaring Forties while doing it. A real sailboat, a 40-footer, could make the same journey in about 3.5 months.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,519 times
King Island in Tasmania Australia, is an isolated island in the Bass straight, it has a population of 1200 people, plenty of rain fall around 900mm and ideal for wind generation as its 40 dregree south in the best trade winds on earth called the
roaring 40s. Land is cheap, many people live off the grid.
bryanbird@hotmail.com if you want any info on the island

Bryan

Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,519 times
I have 100 acres with 1km of private ocean front, also the land has many fresh water springs, water and food is never an issue with planty of walliby to shoot and fish to catch. I want to set up a eco farm for people to bug out to. There are people from China and the UK who have purchased for this very reason. I can place 14 cabins on my land.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthestorm View Post
This thread is for dialogue purposes. I don't pretend to have the final say but hope to raise some good ideas/ opinions. A bug out location for this post's purposes is a place one moves to to fend for themselves/ live off the land BEFORE society "breaks down"…. and not just a place to exit to for the short term…

PS I don't believe in a selfish-head for the hills mentality- but rather a mentality of preparedness to preserve life and order in order to help people through AND AFTER societal calamity…

The worst first-
Number one worst- Los Angeles
-number one on the drought list
-dangerous
-no rain when irrigation fails
-no land to farm
-earthquakes, fires etc.
-tsunamis
-food shortages/ too many people/ riots
-could be nuked from the ocean
If things bugged out I wouldn't go to LA...

Number two worst-NYC
-8 million people on a 14 mile island?
- looting, riots etc
- no way to fend for myself.

Number three worst- San Fran /Bay area
- earthquakes
-dangerous
-will not be law-abiding in emergency situation(IMHO)

Number 4 worst- AZ, TX, NM
- no water
-Mexican border problems/ crime/ kidnapping
-difficult to fend for yourself/ live off the land in these places.

Number 5- Any place without water/ (and Florida)

Top Five Best Places?

Number one- Alaska If you can brave the temps and outdoors this would be my number one selection…probably very safe.

Number two- Remote Northeast- VT, NH, NY state(Maine has pollution issue(although others may too) from Ohio industry) These places may allow you to live off the land. Still cold but most warm weather spots won't have sufficient water. If there is a mass exodus from the cities(BOS/NY) then you may have trouble.

Number three- VA/West VA/ TN/ Kentucky
-Many places here farm already and are rural and remote. You will probably have water.

Number four-Northwest(WA/N.Idaho, OR)
-These places may be remote enough and give you enough water. You may be able to protect yourself as well.

Number five best? _______(What do you think?)
Would you be buying the land to "Bug Out" to? I think this needs consideration.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan bird View Post
I have 100 acres with 1km of private ocean front, also the land has many fresh water springs, water and food is never an issue with planty of walliby to shoot and fish to catch. I want to set up a eco farm for people to bug out to. There are people from China and the UK who have purchased for this very reason. I can place 14 cabins on my land.
Most of these people who have not spent any time on that land would likely die a sad death when they showed up to "bug out". You bug out to a location you know like the back of your hand, not to an unknown place where everything that stings kills and everything stings anyways, you know nothing of the soil, climate, wildlife, local plants.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness