Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
That 2 cords were more than enough for 5 days of running almost constant. But what if it were 7 or 10 days? Learned I should have at least another cord at the ready.

More rock salt. Change to another brand of powdered milk.
What I found works is 1 can evaporated milk + 1 can water and then flavor with chocolate syrup if you need to drink it. If cooking then skip the syrup.
Tastes a bit like skim milk though.
Tried the powdered milk and just didn't go over at all in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
Our winter here in Southern Oregon was pretty mild. I had about 2 and a half cord of wood and bought three more cord. So far I have used very little of it. I planned on splitting it as I used it, but I think when Spring gets here I'll borrow a splitter and split it with a machine and stack it. It'll be all ready for next winter. I bought a new wood stove this Fall, mainly because I got a tax credit and I wanted a nicer looking stove. This new stove uses just a small part of the wood my other stove used. I can't put 24 inch pieces of wood in this new stove, but it is easier to start and a piece of wood burns much longer than it did in the old stove. This stove also have a large flat top I can cook on if need be. Darn, wish I had a place for a wood cook stove and water heater beside of it. When my house was built the contractor used 6" of insulation in the walls, floor and ceiling instead of the usual 4" that most home around here use, so it is not at all hard to heat this house and keep it warm.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I found works is 1 can evaporated milk + 1 can water and then flavor with chocolate syrup if you need to drink it. If cooking then skip the syrup.
Tastes a bit like skim milk though.
Tried the powdered milk and just didn't go over at all in my house.
Thanks for the reciepe. I just bought some Alpine Aire powdered milk...no go at all. Was disgusting. Going back to my Organic Valley. Not the best, but retains taste for longer periods of time, and is at least drinkable w/ just some water added.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
2 cords of what?????????

A typical smaller house here will burn around 5 cord of wood in a whole winter.

The coldest months a place like that might burn a whole cord in a month, with lesser cold months using less wood.

I can't understand how you burned 2 cords in Texas in 5 days, unless the cords are not cords, or you keep your place near 100 degrees all the time.

A cord of wood is 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 8 feet long, stacked pretty tight. Like so a squirrel can move around in the stack, but not run.
6 adults 6 kids since we had company in town, thermostat at 58*(day) & 62* at night, 5400 sq. ft home, 4 fireplaces including basement. Fired up at 4:30am and at least 3 going until 12:30am. Also used wood burning stove in guest house which was first time this year. That's how. 102 hours below freezing, w/ two elderly means they needed warmth, and comfort.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
2 cords of what?????????

A typical smaller house here will burn around 5 cord of wood in a whole winter.

The coldest months a place like that might burn a whole cord in a month, with lesser cold months using less wood.

I can't understand how you burned 2 cords in Texas in 5 days, unless the cords are not cords, or you keep your place near 100 degrees all the time.

A cord of wood is 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 8 feet long, stacked pretty tight. Like so a squirrel can move around in the stack, but not run.
I was wondering that, too. If I can brag, we used less than two cords the winters we lived in NE MN, where the nights were regularly -20 and sometimes -40 or even -60. Of course, it was a well built cabin and it was only 450 square feet or so...

We always have more wood than needed, and since we move around ALOT, we always leave our place better (by a couple cords) than we got it. But my husband likes splitting wood (but alas, does not overly enjoy the cutting of it...). We didn't get hit by the latest big storm, but got hit pretty bad over New Years. We were more than prepared--I was kind of disappointed the power wasn't out longer. We learned that our old windows leaked a lot of air but that our new ones do not!We are using much less wood this winter.

Quote:
6 adults 6 kids since we had company in town, thermostat at 58*(day) & 62* at night, 5400 sq. ft home, 4 fireplaces including basement. Fired up at 4:30am and at least 3 going until 12:30am. Also used wood burning stove in guest house which was first time this year. That's how. 102 hours below freezing, w/ two elderly means they needed warmth, and comfort.
5400 square feet?! Holy-moly! By the way, did you know that fireplaces aren't as affective at heating as woodstoves are? Just an FYI.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:

I dunno man...... To feed 2 cords of wood in 5 days would be a lot like full time work.

Once I fed a cord a day to steam engine in a peg mill. To do that you opened a boiler door and stuffed logs in there 4 feet long, as many as you could fit, then sit in a very worn out sofa chair mostly padding and rags and snoozed 15 minutes, then you stuffed the boiler again.

The engine was in the next room over and it had a 14 foot fly wheel.

102 hours below freezing huh? That's pretty funny. I had to read that a good number of times to make sure it wasn't a typo.

For a fact you wouldn't want to repeat that in New Hampshire.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
... but for quitting smoking, that's a problem!

2 so far today, and my time is 5:50 pm est
Mac,

You and I come from similar backgrounds and etc. It took me SIX TRIES, gaining over 80 pounds, before I finally kicked the habit. After better than 8 years I have lost all but 10 of those extra pounds, and am still tobacco-free. I have no problems with others who smoke in my presence, as long as I don't accidentally get a snoot-full of second-hand smoke. That takes my breath away and causes a bout of coughing/sneezing, etc.

Though it is VERY difficult for the likes of you and me, I encourage you to relegate it back to its original purpose...

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I dunno man...... To feed 2 cords of wood in 5 days would be a lot like full time work.

Once I fed a cord a day to steam engine in a peg mill. To do that you opened a boiler door and stuffed logs in there 4 feet long, as many as you could fit, then sit in a very worn out sofa chair mostly padding and rags and snoozed 15 minutes, then you stuffed the boiler again.

The engine was in the next room over and it had a 14 foot fly wheel.

102 hours below freezing huh? That's pretty funny. I had to read that a good number of times to make sure it wasn't a typo.

For a fact you wouldn't want to repeat that in New Hampshire.
It was like full time work and I didn't like it one bit. But everyone stayed warm and appreciated it. Am damn glad the house doesn't have a 14-foot flywheel.

And yes. 102 hours below freezing. It IS Texas...NOT NH. There is a reason I live in TX.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Since we now live in coastal Southern California, we are not so concerned with ongoing severe COLD. However, since I have experienced short periods of cold in the single-digit range, right here in SoCal, I have come up with reasonable counters to it.

I know how to care for my extended family (me, wife, son, daughter-in-law, grandkids, and even inlaws) if the temps drop into and stay in the double-digits-below-zero range. I have the tools and resources to do it, though I daresay we'll be chopping down and bucking lots of dead trees during daylight hours.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to getcha...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Mac,

You and I come from similar backgrounds and etc. It took me SIX TRIES, gaining over 80 pounds, before I finally kicked the habit. After better than 8 years I have lost all but 10 of those extra pounds, and am still tobacco-free. I have no problems with others who smoke in my presence, as long as I don't accidentally get a snoot-full of second-hand smoke. That takes my breath away and causes a bout of coughing/sneezing, etc.

Though it is VERY difficult for the likes of you and me, I encourage you to relegate it back to its original purpose...

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
Grandfather wants me to smoke

Back in early 99 I was done for 3 weeks. Then the blasted phone rang. Suddenly I had 2 funerals to attend and get on a blasted plane.

Grabbed a pack on the way to the airport, smoked that pack in a couple hours, dang near got arrested on the plane
Smoked store bought till we got back and then began rolling our own with the idea I would get lazy. Instead I just got good.

I don't know why, but I can eat anything I want when ever I want and I can't seem to gain an ounce. I mean 1 pound bags of M&M's every night for a week if I want, and nuthin

My wife can whip up 4 trays of ginger bread cookies and I can slather them with raspberry preserves and eat almost all of them and still nuthin.

She says I can't have them all since I have to share.

Still at 4 butts this week, dun up 3 of them today . Hiked apx 2 miles in snow shoes alone, so it's break trail one way walk back settin it the other.

I moved all the snow I can possible move now too. Any more is just an excuse to go do sumthin.

Man and woman came walking a dogs, one was a GSD.. didn't get a good look at the other dog. Aptor was that you?

All the time people think this road is a town road, and come walking. I wave, and smile, They just keep going till they see there is a box (house) They get all wide eyed act as if they did something wrong.

I can't figure it since I took all the signs down in 06... One of my trails cuts the drive way.

The drive way pretty much looks like a 1 mile big question mark ? the town road is at that dot, the house is at the top of the squiggly. The straight leg is added on to what used to be a 1 mile oval horse racin' track, that went out in 1930.

Past the house is a shop barn, and shed then field which this year gets all plowed too.

I hope this broken finger allows tappin sugar maple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness