Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
It was like full time work and I didn't like it one bit. But everyone stayed warm and appreciated it. Am damn glad the house doesn't have a 14-foot flywheel.

And yes. 102 hours below freezing. It IS Texas...NOT NH. There is a reason I live in TX.
Well right now if you came here I would build you a 10 man iggloo. 6 adults could sleep in that with room left over for 6 kids.

You wouldn't get colder than 32 degrees, and would be far above that with all them hot bodies in thar

I think houses in Texas should have 14 foot fly wheels, since Texas likes stuff big.

In summer here we have 102 hours where AC would be handy. I bet that AC is cheaper than 2 cord O' wood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM

97 posts, read 220,229 times
Now another mini 'after the storm' here.
Skys cleared and -14 this morning I sure hope this is the end of the sub-zeros for this winter. The plow needs hydraulics overhauled.
On the bright side, a week of sunshine and warmth is forecasted...looks like I'll get some wood split, and a tan

Hope the Everyone is planning for the FLOODS this spring... Remember 'preparedness'

Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
What we learrned in Winter 2010-11:

It always gets cold here in winter. It always snows here in winter. I have a plow for my pickup. We have plenty of food put up. Getting water isn't a problem in these parts. There's genset out on the back porch for power failures, but we haven't had any (yet). We have a wood stove and a propane heater, in addition to our oil-fired furnace.

So I guess we were fine except, I did learn one thing:

If the forecast calls for freezing rain ON TOP of snow already fallen, and says it will turn to ice, get offa your butt and go out and plow the driveway BEFORE the freezing rain starts falling. Because you're NOT gonna be able to plow anything afterwards!

That alone was worth learning....

Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
Now another mini 'after the storm' here.
Skys cleared and -14 this morning I sure hope this is the end of the sub-zeros for this winter. The plow needs hydraulics overhauled.
On the bright side, a week of sunshine and warmth is forecasted...looks like I'll get some wood split, and a tan

Hope the Everyone is planning for the FLOODS this spring... Remember 'preparedness'

Oh DID I EVER make that mistake once.. I went for a Srping hike up Tuckermans Ravine on the east side of Mt Washington in NH, in bright sun. Tucks is a 1.2 bowl shape, and the sun was really nice in early spring time too, I was down to shorts, boots with crampons and a light shirt mostly open.

I got fried, and coming down on x-c skis took to hiking again but this time post holing in the softened snow, but it still had a crusty top in the shadows. I did put on very thin over pants, but I could feel that crust on my sunburned legs each time I fell thru the crust.

Currently there is a snow load off the roof here I am wondering hot to move. If I don't and we get rains in March it could flood in the cellar.

There is a new lawn and the soil hasn't 'set' exactly, and I really don't want to stupid stick (rake) that out if I don't have to.

The trick is leaving the snow as insulation as long as possible, but still have the ground frozen enough a Bob Cat can drive on the soil and not sink in overly deep.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Grandfather wants me to smoke
'Nuff said!

Quote:
I don't know why, but I can eat anything I want when ever I want and I can't seem to gain an ounce. I mean 1 pound bags of M&M's every night for a week if I want, and nuthin
You really know how to hurt a guy, dontcha? I have three cousins like that. They eat one meal a day - from the time they get up until the time they go to bed - and they don't gain an ounce. Me, I can gain three pounds just by thinking about walking past the candy counter...

Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I have this theory. I think people that don't really care much about food don't gain weight from the food they eat, no matter what it is.

I would give up food in a heart beat if hunger was not an issue. If there was a pill I could pop that gave me energy and vitimins, I woud pass on most foods except maybe socialized holidays.

I been bad to day. 1 bacca smoke 1 mulein smoke, a bag of salty pretels, working on a whole can of honey roasted peanuts, 3rd beer (I got no work to do). Before this I was into full sugar peppermint life savers. Just stuffin my face and for lack of bacca, but I won't gain an ounce.

I did get some excersize for calling my Bride; Hey you! Fatty! running away this morning....

I think she's over it now, but just the same I intend to sleep with one eye open.

Would you suppose inviting danger into ones life will cause weight loss?

Oh yeah...... Does No Smoking out any where also mean no Mulien?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Well right now if you came here I would build you a 10 man iggloo. 6 adults could sleep in that with room left over for 6 kids.

You wouldn't get colder than 32 degrees, and would be far above that with all them hot bodies in thar

I think houses in Texas should have 14 foot fly wheels, since Texas likes stuff big.

In summer here we have 102 hours where AC would be handy. I bet that AC is cheaper than 2 cord O' wood
Never been in an igloo before. sounds interesting. I was also kicking myself for not completing the entire recommended list of the energy audit I got in the fall.

I'm gonna find a place to put in a 14-ft fly wheel just for you.

cord's are too bad from my source..$100/cord.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,803 times
Quote:
Don't know what you mean? Thunder snow? I didn't hear any thunder over here in Tamworth. Or do you mean walking on it and the noise that makes?
Hey Mac here is the explanation of thundersnow:
Thundersnow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We had it for a short period during the last big storm and it was odd to hear thunder cracking and lightning while heavy snow was coming down.
Here's the weather channel guy Jim Cantore w/ thundersnow in Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJt4nV6hM1Y

Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Hey Mac here is the explanation of thundersnow:
Thundersnow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We had it for a short period during the last big storm and it was odd to hear thunder cracking and lightning while heavy snow was coming down.
Here's the weather channel guy Jim Cantore w/ thundersnow in Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJt4nV6hM1Y
I drove through a "thundersnow" storm in eastern Utah at about 2 in the morning (in January) a couple of years back. All I can say is... wild! When lightning strikes within the heavy snowfall, well, I've never seen anything quite like that. Pretty cool. I'll never forget it!

Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Never seen thunder snow. I'll have to make a point to try.

After i asked, a buddy of mine in Mass said there was a T storm and he had rain. All I got was a pretty normal snow storm, a little bit like a blizzard but it was no blizzard where I am.

So far we got 56 inches and so that is less than normal so far..... I guess to see Thunder Snow you have to be on the edge of a warm ft with a cold ft somehow.

I ran on a motorcycle from a T storm. Lightning was all over the place as i crossed a hight of land, and on the west side things were a little hairy. Hot hunks of rock blown off legdes is a little hairy to me. That was my 2nd time to see that bit in action real up close and personal.

Motorcycles are a lot faster than my 2 feet can run

I am still hunting down the elusive green flash too. I hope to catch one someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness