Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

I checked this on The Firing Line. People came up with several thoughts. The Mossberg Brownie is the closest thing posted that I've seen. See it on Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
99% of the thinking is related to what I plan to do to my wife later that day some time
Substitute the phrase "with my wife" for the phrase "to my wife", and I agree completely...

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
sea man tics is the best you can do? Comon yer an old word butcher jus like me.......

Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
sea man tics is the best you can do? Comon yer an old word butcher jus like me.......
Hey, I'm a relatively accomplished technical editor, and I'm married to an ultimate word-parser - she's got a law degree, dontcha know...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
If you're looking at it from a SHTF standpoint, it may be smart to have a pistol and a rifle chambered in common military calibers and if you had the ability to reload you would basically have a currency printing press.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I always have the SHTF scenario in the back of my mind. The "What IF" and what gun / rifle combo would serve me best in terms of having ammo available.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always have the SHTF scenario in the back of my mind. The "What IF" and what gun / rifle combo would serve me best in terms of having ammo available.
I guess you could always opt for a Drilling if a combo is what you want.
258o DRILLING, GERMAN GUILD GUN, 16GA X 16GA OVER 22 HORNET Drilling & Combo Shotgun Rifle Combos for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Wildwood Inc. Buy or bid on this 258o DRILLING, GERMAN GUILD GUN, 16GA X 16GA OVER 22 HORNET in the catego

Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Again, I'm no expert by any means. But, in terms of ammo availability, .38, .44 & .45 have been around for about a century or more & are likely to still be around. 9MM has been around a while & is used by many police & military forces, so it is unlikely to go away. Pricing is another matter. We've seen periods, as in the past year or so, when all ammo is scarce, because of demand. Those who can afford to do so should buy a box a week, from now on. Those with more $ should watch for good buys & buy a case or more when able. Authorities are likely to suspend ammo sales during times of unrest or demand will again outstrip supply. Best to buy ahead & have what you need. Save $ and avoid being out among crowds of desperate people. Safer all around.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
As I see it unless you re-load and already know How, plus have brass, powder, primers and bullets On Hand, ammo can always be gone, or in short supply.

I do reload for several of my guns, and also run black powder guns, which I cast bullets for. I cast bullets for some of my more modern guns too.

I have not perfected making black powder to a high quality, but I am working on it.

No one can take away what I can make.

My personal shtf includes hunting for game with only black powder, freeing up modern ammo for defence. I also no no bad guys want to get shot, and I can only assume in shtf they won't want to get shot even more.

I have been hunting with success using black powder guns a pretty long time, so for me that makes sence since I already know the limits and in some cases see guns like flinters as a sort of swiss army gun. To run a flintlock you have tools you wight not have with a modern gun. My shooting bags all contain patch knives, a folding knife and if I loose them I still have the flint, which can skin and butcher game.

On a deer there is only 5 times I use a knife anyway to skin it, so after that I hand peel the hide off, hand remove the sinew, and can pull apart meat with no knife at all, but when a knife is available I will snip off where meat is attached.

And to me a deer is a walking tool kit. With just one I can have raw hide coradage for many chores, Bone for many more chores and tasks, plus eat the meat.

With the right mind set one thing just leads to the next thing anyone needs.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Again, I'm no expert by any means. But, in terms of ammo availability, .38, .44 & .45 have been around for about a century or more & are likely to still be around. 9MM has been around a while & is used by many police & military forces, so it is unlikely to go away. Pricing is another matter. We've seen periods, as in the past year or so, when all ammo is scarce, because of demand. Those who can afford to do so should buy a box a week, from now on. Those with more $ should watch for good buys & buy a case or more when able. Authorities are likely to suspend ammo sales during times of unrest or demand will again outstrip supply. Best to buy ahead & have what you need. Save $ and avoid being out among crowds of desperate people. Safer all around.
Its not a matter of how long a round has been in existance, it is a matter of availability. As you stated we have seen and to a degree are still seeing limited ammo supplies at local stores. I think that is the real issue. I agree with you 100% on buy a few boxes when you can and more if you have extra cash. I am trying to buy 2 boxes a month for each caliber I have, and a bulk pack of .22LR a month. I would rather have it than not be able to get any. 9mm, .22LR, .38 and .357 and im good to roll, luckily they are all stocked locally and I can grab a few boxes from time to time when I got extra coin. Ill be picking up a 12 gauge soon so I will need to put shells on my list too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness