Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 17,468 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a piece of land in Taos, NM and am beginning construction on my off the grid home in April. I'm building the most recent version of a building called an Earthship. It will have rain water catchment, passive solar/geothermal heating and cooling, solar and possibly wind powered electricity and a gray/black water system. I am going to be documenting the entire process on the Web. I'm posting here because I imagine this could be a helpful resource for those thinking about building their own off the grid home. I'm very interested in being self sustainable and I want to raise some animals and have a small scale farm, so once the house is done I'll move on to documenting that as well.

I've been building Earthships with the Earthship Biotecture crew for the past couple of years so I'm going into this with a decent background, but I know it's going to be quite a journey nonetheless. So I hope you find this helpful. I'm also accepting volunteers that want to help build the house, so if you or anyone you know wants learn how to build their own just let me know!

Check it out http://www.offthegridbuild.com!

Dan
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,977 times
Dan, the hotwater/plumbing system was of great interest to us. We have a off-grid strawbale in the mountains above Taos & are beginning the work on the plumbing, although we do have a great solar well/pump so catchment will only be for gardening. We got the solar panel for the hot water system like your demo pictures for $15 at a garage sale- a great score. We just got lots of ideas from your demo pics. Good job putting that part of the blog together. What companies will you get your hot water heaters from or does Mike Reynolds deal in them?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Dan, the hotwater/plumbing system was of great interest to us. We have a off-grid strawbale in the mountains above Taos & are beginning the work on the plumbing, although we do have a great solar well/pump so catchment will only be for gardening. We got the solar panel for the hot water system like your demo pictures for $15 at a garage sale- a great score. We just got lots of ideas from your demo pics. Good job putting that part of the blog together. What companies will you get your hot water heaters from or does Mike Reynolds deal in them?
Congratulations on your home! I know first hand how exciting it is to building one with your own two hands. Wow, that really was a steal. Did you get a closed loop system that runs glycol through a hot water tank or did you get the design that heats air that runs to your actual hot water supply tank? I could use one for $15 too!! I'm actually not too sure of the brand of the solar water heater, but I do know that Earthship Biotecture distributes them. I will definately be posted about that when I get to it.

If you ever want to come down and see the progress being made, I'm at the Greater World community off 64 and will be getting started in April.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM

It was a lot of work since we did it all without power tools, just our own 4 hands & hand tools. We are truly off grid & can't get heavy machinery or large trucks into our place. However, we did have the experience of helping friends ram earth with a sledge into tires for their house- that was the hardest work we have ever done! So I really admire you earthship builders!

Virtually someone was throwing it away- it is a closed loop system.

Earthship Biotecture is synonymous with Michael Reynolds, right? We haven't been up to Earthshipville in ages- but sometime this summer when we make a trip down to Taos we'll have to cruise around.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM

174 posts, read 541,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthegridbuild View Post
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a piece of land in Taos, NM and am beginning construction on my off the grid home in April. I'm building the most recent version of a building called an Earthship. It will have rain water catchment, passive solar/geothermal heating and cooling, solar and possibly wind powered electricity and a gray/black water system. I am going to be documenting the entire process on the Web. I'm posting here because I imagine this could be a helpful resource for those thinking about building their own off the grid home. I'm very interested in being self sustainable and I want to raise some animals and have a small scale farm, so once the house is done I'll move on to documenting that as well.

I've been building Earthships with the Earthship Biotecture crew for the past couple of years so I'm going into this with a decent background, but I know it's going to be quite a journey nonetheless. So I hope you find this helpful. I'm also accepting volunteers that want to help build the house, so if you or anyone you know wants learn how to build their own just let me know!

Check it out Dan Richfield's Earthship Build !

Dan
Sounds great! For many years I've wanted to help build an earthship, as I hope to build my own some day and could use the practice. And seeing as how I'm currently unemployed, It would be really cool to help build yours, the tricky part being how to get down there.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,524,321 times
I've been very interested in Earthships and other earth-sheltered designs for many years now. One day I hope to bring such a building to fruition. Whatever form my future house ultimately takes, it is going to be off-the-grid, and a fairly sustainable homestead, either way. That's my goal.

Though many here who are interested in Earthships might be aware of it already, but Mike Reynolds had a documentary made about him called Garbage Warriors. I enjoyed watching it.

For those who might have an interest and had not heard of it, here is the movie trailer: (see video linked below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlBadkb-xqw

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Though many here who are interested in Earthships might be aware of it already, but Mike Reynolds had a documentary made about him called Garbage Warriors. I enjoyed watching it.]
Thanks FTA!

Actually, I found the full-length video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1cUa4yWQp4

Very interesting!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:53 AM

6 posts, read 36,831 times
Im interesting in building one too! I'm looking at land in Beryl, UT, and I dont really know what to ask or do as far as finding out about building regulations that may not permit earthships. Any advice?
Thanks

Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Hi Quietlike,

Yes, Earthship Biotecture has a map where US counties in green are known to be places where building codes allow Earthships and counties in red do not allow them. check it out:
Pockets of Freedom

It doesn't look like your county is listed in the map, so the best thing to do would be to go to the town hall or county/town office buildings and ask which department handles building permits and ask them.

Good luck!

Dan
Moderator cut: signatures and self-promotion not allowed

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 04-09-2011 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: removed self-link signature

Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 AM

229 posts, read 440,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthegridbuild View Post
Hi Quietlike,

Yes, Earthship Biotecture has a map where US counties in green are known to be places where building codes allow Earthships and counties in red do not allow them. check it out:
Pockets of Freedom

It doesn't look like your county is listed in the map, so the best thing to do would be to go to the town hall or county/town office buildings and ask which department handles building permits and ask them.

Good luck!

Dan
Moderator cut: signatures and self-promotion not allowed
I'm getting a "Page not found" message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness