Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

I didn't get any KI pills...... Let those in real need have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
A toothbrush, a clean pair of underwear, condoms, deodorant, and some hair product.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
I don't have a so called Bug Out bag because I will not be bugging out.

GL2

Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Morton idoized salt, kelp tablets from local healthfood stores...no need for KI pills unless TSHTF. Taking those pills incorrectly will cause more harm than good. They are supposed to be taken before exposure, not after.
Most multivitamins also contain KI in moderate dosages.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
Why didn't I think of that? That oversight will be corrected very soon.
Most decent compasses (one's that you can reset your declination) already have a small magnifier on them, and almost all of these also have a mirror too.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Morton idoized salt, kelp tablets from local healthfood stores...no need for KI pills unless TSHTF. Taking those pills incorrectly will cause more harm than good. They are supposed to be taken before exposure, not after.
Here's what I found about using Morton salt>
Q.
Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?
A.
The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center, a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily.

William Kirk, PhD, CHP
Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

Here is a website:
[url=http://hps.org/hpspublications/radiationfactsheets.html]Radiation Fact Sheets[/url]

Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
My bug-out bag has the following:

hand-crank radio
batteries
flashlight and candles
fire starter (old fashioned I am ... flint and steel)
an acetylene torch
steel hunter's knife
sleeping bag x2 (one for me and the wife)
tent
pillow x2 (one for me and the wife)
gun and ammo (nothing big, just enough for defense from other people)
first aid (iodine liquid to double as radiation protection ... swab it on skin so it absorbs it, bandages, splints, GPS locator)
water (25 liters)

In the event of a major event (terrorist release of deadly disease, like marburg virus or smallpox, dirty bomb, major power interruption for more than 3 days, flu pandemic, total economic collapse, etc) we have grab and go philosophy since we live in a very populated area in an apartment.

In the event that we need to "bug-in" (ie. survive nuclear blast and fallout, flu pandemic overruns us, food shortages, or major political events), we have the above supplies where we can easily bug out given the chance, or rely on them in case we need them.

Another thing that is valuable are friends. I have lifelong friends who I can meet up and form a band if we need to stick together to form a cohesive unit if necessary. I have friends in nearly every corner and in some other countries as well. The hinterland of Canada is beautiful and know some folks there.

Finally, and this can't be stressed enough, is PEOPLE SKILLS. Humans are a social animal and can only survive in a group for sustainable periods of time. We wouldn't be around today if we were able to survive alone. You WILL need to barter, you WILL need to communicate, you WILL need to be able to form groups of friends you can rely on and trust, and you WILL need to be able to project you or your group's ability to contribute to a collection of folks in the even of major societal collapse (i.e. second Civil War in the USA). If you're not a people person, LEARN how to overcome that shortcoming.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,392 times
Try the website www.preparednessadvice.com/ It has some good lists for bug out bags.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,673 times
Mac, what is touch wood? All I could find is it's a type of wood. How are you using it that it makes a hot glow?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Mac, what is touch wood? All I could find is it's a type of wood. How are you using it that it makes a hot glow?
I can give you the latin name, but if you live where it says, you don't have any. It grows as a fungus on several hard wood trees, one my best is paper birch. It will kill the tree, but if you harvest like I do, you can take some , not all and come back years later, and harvest again.

Once harvested it needs time to dry. I can't just go bust off the fungas and use it as is, but all it needs is to be dry. Then with a 18th century flint and steel, basicly a file is the steel, but mine are in other shapes, and a flint, real flink, chert, which I know you have as white flint, yuou can strike sparks onto the fungus and it will catch and hold a spreading ember in red hot glowing rings. Once lit, you can't put it out.

We might work a deal White flint for some fungus. This stuff isn't easy to come by. A company that sell is is Jas Townsend, a store for historical re-enactors on line and in camps.

I can get cherts right here, but they are not as high quality as stone in your state.

More on the fungus: I use it to warm other people who get cold. Placing a burning hunk in a ait tight tin, is like a hand/foot warmer of yore'.

Water will put it out, but then ya gotta dry it again.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness