Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Dam straight. I can drill with 18th century wood augers almost as fast as a 1/2 drive power drill, and if ther is no power a hell of a lot faster than that useless power drill will be. over years and time I have gathered a 19th century carpenters box and empty it makes me wonder how one man moved it. That box is bitchin' heavy empty, and it is far from empty. I have 19th century auger handles and double sets of the augers, I have duplicate planes, some for mouldings.

Never the less there are some tools I am lacking I would want. Most of these are felling saws and real big one man ripping saws.
I ,too, prefer hand tools to power tools. Very portable and always work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
What I ment is that I will provide for and keep my Family safe no matter what . And I bet you would do the same to feed a starving child.
It was nice that you asked. Thanks You made a friend. If and When it hits the fan, your welcome to share what I have and Can Take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
I for one, would take 'offense' at that.
While most everyone is preparing for self-sufficiency, you would take the 'offensive' role, and loot, raid, and take at gunpoint whatever you needed?
THAT is what everyone wants to DEFEND against

A lot of gun ownership is all about defense against criminals, and what you are suggesting is Being that criminal. Am I reading you wrong

Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
That and the fact that they make a LOT less noise. Something to consider if the power goes out, and the world goes 'silent'. Things people would never notice nowadays, will attract a lot of attention if that day ever comes.

Even if it does not, I can see where some people would want to keep their location and activities very low-key. Hard to do that with a rippin' chain saw, or a blaring generator. I heard one guy say that our troops put their gensets in small sandbag buildings, to quiet the noise.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to quiet a generator?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
I just need to figure out how to make dimensional lumber by hand. I saw Richard Proenneke do it in one of his videos, but that guy is an animal with the rip saw. Lots o' labor.

A chainsaw with a "lumber mill" attachment seems the only practical way to do it. I can't even imagine cutting trees down, and then slicing them piece-by-piece lengthwise with a hand saw in order to make reasonably shaped lumber. I can deal with the hand drilling and chiseling, but I think making the lumber by hand might be my breaking point.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-07-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Tightwad 'we weren't born yesterday. I have power tools that just won't work that do what my hand tools do slower.

I am a man of tools... I work to live in metal tools, play and earn some in modern wood tools, and then earn a little in old wood tools where tool marks matter, circa 1700-1840.

I sew leather and cloth too, and have hand tools and power tools for that too.

It's just one day the power tools won't work by power.

I got a 1870's Singer for making tall boots. Right now it has a motor, but can be treadel again for a belt and i got 3 belts. That thing goes onwe way only, but the head turns to go anyway you want.

So I can sew any direction i want. So far that direction has never sewn my bloomin fingers together yet.... But man ya really gotta watch that needle.

Now I don't want the world to go to hell in a hand basket, but if it does I will be a popular guy...

Any guy who can build a fire and then weld from that fire is bound to be.

I even stock a supply of leather, for shtf..... Who else does that?

I can make mocs, boots and brain tan clothing as I wish.

Brain Tan is like the velvet in leather too... Nothing disgusting a bit.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I just need to figure out how to make dimensional lumber by hand. I saw Richard Proenneke do it in one of his videos, but that guy is an animal with the rip saw. Lots o' labor.

A chainsaw with a "lumber mill" attachment seems the only practical way to do it. I can't even imagine cutting trees down, and then slicing them piece-by-piece with a hand saw in order to make reasonably shaped lumber. That's way more work than hand drilling.

No oil and gas and you will need another way to create woods like that and know why each piece is made that way.

Suddenly round wood will be popular again. You can invest in slave whip saws... 1 man and 2 man saws, hard wood and soft, or work axes that are made to square timbers, adzes that make wood more boards like.

The problem with an adze is keeping your toes where your toes belong... It's a side ways axe

Try out the book section in the Moultonboro Store some time. It's a fun place to go anyway. Looks for Reverance of Wood and for books by Slone. These are nice little coffee table books too.

The way I figure it I can make a bow to pull a saw one way. That one way is back and then I can pull it again, and therefore make a hand (man ) pit saw with no man in the pit, or swap places and be in the dammned pit.... I can only pull up so many times, before I can only pull down so many times and get 'Dusted'. Bottom man sucks. More so when the top man is a wooden bow.

I am expert at getting filty dirty. Just ask my wife

Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post

A chainsaw with a "lumber mill" attachment seems the only practical way to do it. I can't even imagine cutting trees down, and then slicing them piece-by-piece lengthwise with a hand saw in order to make reasonably shaped lumber. I can deal with the hand drilling and chiseling, but I think making the lumber by hand might be my breaking point.
Split rough boards with a froe, then plane them smooth with a sharp drawknife or such.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
I say a Tarp....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Anybody have any good ideas on how to quiet a generator?
Turn it off?

Kidding of course... but, it is an option. I'd sure like to ween myself away from electricity, for the most part.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
What I ment is that I will provide for and keep my Family safe no matter what . And I bet you would do the same to feed a starving child.
It was nice that you asked. Thanks You made a friend. If and When it hits the fan, your welcome to share what I have and Can Take.
I'm more into 'Make' than 'Take'. It's a lot safer and I'm more Dick Proenneke than Mad Max. But that said, I would take what I had to if I had to.

For those who are interested in hand tools/building skills, check out Dick Proenneke's Alone in the Wilderness if you haven't already. It is fantastic what one able man can do. He is the one of the last of the real men. I have some relatives in Norway who could do what he did (or could have when they were younger men), but people with those skills are hard to find today. I know there may be a few here, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness