Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Get a trunk monkey?

(google trunk monkey videos)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I really don't think too many of us can justify the need to carry a shotgun or rifle in their car for self-defense. (Los Angeles residents aside... LOL)
Ah-hem! I happen to have lived and worked in the LA area since 1988. I, and my unventilated hide, take moderate exception to your statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
If you can't hit the bad guys with a Glock and a couple of magazines they are either too far away for a legit self defense claim or you need to hire a bodyguard who can.
By my definition a "trunk gun" is a general-purpose firearm, capable of completing several missions. My current favorites are (a) an oldie-but-goodie USGI M-1 carbine, (b) a lever-action .357 carbine that uses the same ammo as my S&W wheelgun, (c) a .22 semi-auto rifle, or (d) a 12-gauge pump shotgun.

Fortunately I have the capability of choosing among all of the above. ["Can you say 'well-armed'? I knew you could!"]

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
AR-7 or variant 195 at many stores....Got mine at Fleet Farm....
Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right
I'd consider the following more "pack guns" than "trunk guns," but just my perspective. I don't really care for motor vehicles all that much, so I'm not sure I'd keep one in the car/truck long term for any particular reason. I keep them in my emergency backpacks, which is the one place where I can always keep track of them. If I ever have to go somewhere in the car on a trip... the pack comes with me.

I have a fondness for "break down" guns. I was contemplating the Henry AR-7 survival rifle a while back.

A similar break-down rifle to the Henry, though I don't think it breaks down quite as small as the Henry because the action and trigger isn't removable, is the Marlin Papoose:

http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts...41xymaqm2a.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxpdZza_AI

My only possible qualm with the Henry is its cheap, plastic-ish, stock... which seems to have gotten even cheesier in the newer versions than in the original versions.

The Papoose has a real, quality, stock.... but the downside mentioned was that it doesn't break down as small as the Henry AR-7 (16.5 inches for the Henry, broken down... versus I think 21" broken down for the Marlin). The Marlin has a weight penalty of roughly a pound, because of its much higher quality stock.

I like the fact that the two aforementioned are semi-automatic and have a decent sized magazine (with aftermarket mags which can be gotten larger).

-----

A third break-down rifle that has struck my interest is the Springfield Armory M6 Scout.

Springfield Armory M6 Scout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a .22LR / .410 (shotgun) over-under configuration. It's this dual-configuration which I think makes it potentially more useful for in a field and bushcraft emergency situation than the other two rifles. Specifically, it's the ability to have the .410 option which I think makes it a step above, because it will let you shoot birds if need be, in an emergency food situation. Plugging a bird as he is taking off (after he hears you approaching), or in mid-flight is damn difficult with a .22LR, but with the spray pattern of the .410, this puts snagging a bird in reach of the capabilities of almost any laymen regardless of their skill with the gun.

It breaks down to, I think, fifteen inches. That would make it slightly more compact than either of two previously mentioned guns.

The downside is that it's not semi-auto, and you can only get two shots out of it before you have to reload. It would have been a nice touch if they had made the .22LR portion of this semi-auto like the Henry or the Marlin, leaving the single shot for the .410.... but, it is what it is....

I like the integrated ammunition holder in the handle (2:45 - first video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKI3E-8TLW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkXiOumHnpw

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-01-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I have an original Armalite AR-7 from the early 70's. I never think of it as a trunk gun because it can be easily carried stuck down in the belt at the rear. But it is a great break down gun. In about 15 seconds it is assembled and firing. It floats and is very accurate.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Your choice of a "trunk gun" would depend on what kind of trouble you are expecting, I suppose. When I'm at our place in the woods, I carried a 12 gauge behind the seat of my truck and usually had a .38 on my hip loaded with snake shot.

And I'll say that some of you are really expecting some TROUBLE.

And here in Texas, we call them "truck guns". Since most guys don't drive anything with a trunk.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
And here in Texas, we call them "truck guns". Since most guys don't drive anything with a trunk.
Some of us are more enlightened, of course. [Written by a displaced Alabama country boy...]

If I could only have one, I believe I'd choose the M-1 carbine. Its a great close-in weapon to harvest meat - up to and including white-tail deer - and repel humans. It doesn't work too well against the avian species (unless you're a real Sgt. York), but...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Well there's no doubt that a SKS is cheap, but seeing how this is the survivalist forum, I can't think of anything more versatile than a .12 gauge pump that will take 3" shells, and slugs. Then you'd be set for self-defense or getting vitals without having to worry about the size of the food you are after. Plus you can get a used 870 or alternative pretty cheap.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well there's no doubt that a SKS is cheap, but seeing how this is the survivalist forum, I can't think of anything more versatile than a .12 gauge pump that will take 3" shells, and slugs. Then you'd be set for self-defense or getting vitals without having to worry about the size of the food you are after. Plus you can get a used 870 or alternative pretty cheap.
I agree, and with a Modified Choke and 00 buck you get a tighter grouping at 100 yards with the 870 than the SKS too...

Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 PM

55 posts, read 110,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I agree, and with a Modified Choke and 00 buck you get a tighter grouping at 100 yards with the 870 than the SKS too...
+1

x

Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Something innocent looking like a lever action,no-one seems too fearful of them for some reason.

I picked one up for $200.
Ammo is more of course but then almost all ammo is high nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness