Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times

Advertisements

[quote=HappyTexan;18051354]The government is preparing for something so why shouldn't we ?

Terror threats rising as FEMA orders $1 Billion in dehydrated food - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com

The only reference to this has been freom a "survival food" seller. He claims that the tender for bid was only posted on FEMA' website for a day, then pulled. He "believes" that it was pulled to avoid panic. Although claiming that the government wants to purchase more dehydrated food than the entire industry can produce, He's advertising that he's having a sale. I've read essentially identical stories numerous times before, complete with a big sale. Needless to say, there has never been a link to any government website.

Buying overpriced and often inedible survival food is not the way to prepare. But most people would prefer that someone else do the reading and analysis. Real survivalists do it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,518,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Buying overpriced and often inedible survival food is not the way to prepare.
No dissing freeze-dried food. I love freeze dried food. It's better than my cooking, anyway. 'Overpriced' it is, though. However, it has benefits for that price which I think are worth it. At least 1/3 of my supply is #10 cans of freeze dried, and the remainder is a combination of 'dry goods,' lots of stuff I've dehydrated with my machine, as well as store bought cans of assorted goods like canned meat (beef, turkey, chicken, and tuna fish), gravy, etc...

MRE's are even more absurdly priced (aside from tasting crappier).

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 02-27-2011 at 01:15 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 AM

18,927 posts, read 14,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I forget what silver there is in 1965 coins of silver, but it isn't 90%. 64 is the last year of 90% American coins. Silver wasn't really money, it represented change for gold which was the only real money.

I still have a 1957 silver certificate, and a first non-sence note called 'United States Note' as worthless as a Fedral Reserve Note is today. The feds pulled quite the nasty little trick on 'We the People'.
According to the Coinage Act of 1792, silver coins were unit dollars. The so-called "Gold standard" came in the Coinage Act of 1873 (aka as the "Crime of 1873"). That only demonetized silver coin for the FEDERAL government - not the STATES. The USCON still states that only gold and silver coin are tender in PAYMENT of debt.

Since 1933, no dollars have circulated, and no one has "paid debt" pursuant to the USCON. Which explains why there is no private property anymore. (But I digress). Paper notes (which are worthless debt) only discharge debt IF the creditor is an obligated party on said notes. By FICA, all participants are "contributors" (equally liable for paying said debt), and cannot object to their tender.

FWIW - a minimum of 21 SILVER dollars will insure access to the promise of the rules of the common law (7th amendment). So buy your land / house with a minimum of 21 silver dollars (and the balance in valuable consideration - such as pictures of presidents on green paper).

//www.city-data.com/forum/15895513-post18.html

Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM

817 posts, read 2,185,583 times
[quote=Happy in Wyoming;18051867]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government is preparing for something so why shouldn't we ?

Terror threats rising as FEMA orders $1 Billion in dehydrated food - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com

The only reference to this has been freom a "survival food" seller. He claims that the tender for bid was only posted on FEMA' website for a day, then pulled. He "believes" that it was pulled to avoid panic. Although claiming that the government wants to purchase more dehydrated food than the entire industry can produce, He's advertising that he's having a sale. I've read essentially identical stories numerous times before, complete with a big sale. Needless to say, there has never been a link to any government website.

Buying overpriced and often inedible survival food is not the way to prepare. But most people would prefer that someone else do the reading and analysis. Real survivalists do it themselves.
That tender for bid hasn't been pulled (so far), it's right here:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

A lot of people got all hysterical over it and assumed the New Madrid was about to blow and the government isn't telling us (!!!). My understanding, though, is that the gov isn't actually ordering all this food, just looking for potential suppliers in case of the need. That's what they do. It would be pretty irresponsible if FEMA waited until the disaster hit to try to find food and supplies. I believe they have some big emergency drill scheduled for that area this summer too.

I recently saw a claim that at least one big supplier is now exclusively selling to .gov. Don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't be surprising. The government regularly rotates out their supplies. That's why we can buy all that surplus crap and MREs on eBay.

If they knew the New Madrid was going to blow, I doubt they'd put the scenario on a public website ahead of time. I'd sooner believe that they used the New Madrid scenario to cover for their expectation that the dollar will soon collapse and they'll have to feed all the sheeple who refused to see it coming. <woo, woo, woo, woo>

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
My post was not meant to instill fear/panic but to inform.
FEMA stocks up for "just in case" and the military has drills for "just in case".

Yet people post that they stock up and prep for "what if" and they are labeled and ridiculed.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM

817 posts, read 2,185,583 times
I wasn't trying to insinuate anything about you, Happy Texan, I was referring to a lot of people who got hysterical over it on another forum I read (a bit more tin-foilish than this forum). Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I just wanted to explain what the bid order was about.

I'm prepped for "what if" too. Couldn't care less if people ridicule me for it.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,400 times
Apologies for not having read the entire thread.

Having personally experienced several major natural disasters, both as an individual and as a responder, I have seen the best and the worst of humankind.

I have observed the natural and quite predictable human behavior patterns that emerge when faced with an imminent threat,whether real or imagined.

I have been an eyewitness to the very best and very worst responses by elected leaders

I have used this experience to evaluate many commonly-held conventions regarding emergency preparedness.

With that said, I am not preparing for TEOTWAWKI. I am simply making plans to ensure the health, freedom and "happiness" of my family and, if I can, my immediate neighbors, in the event of a three- to four-month period of unrest, uncertainty, loss of services, panic, fear, etc.

Down the road a bit, I can see moving from this urbanized area into a more placid "backwater" and making longer-range plans, but for right now that's not on the agenda.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,525,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Criminials: break in, mugging, car jacking,etc.

Natural disaster: hurricane, tornado, etc..

Civil disorder: riot, work stoppage by government,etc.

Collapse of society: national bankruptcy, massive currency depreciation, war

Civil War: regional, cultural,racial, class

Other: Zombie attack?

I ask because I think it is interesting there is a this subforum and some of the thread titles.
Already had to deal with criminals so I won't be surprised if I have to do so again. Already had to deal with natural disaster so I won't be surprised if I have to do so again. Been real close to civil disorder so I won't be surprised if I have to deal with that. Societal collapse has happened before so I won't be surprised if I have to deal with that. Civil war has happened before so that won't be a surprise either.

So I calculate probabilities and prepare accordingly.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,074,823 times
I prepare mostly for a natural disaster and the temporary anarchy that would follow a cataclysm. I live in Florida near the water, so a natural disaster is not unlikely and I'm surrounded by some serious maniacs.

I don't think a total economic collapse is even a little bit likely, but regardless, humans are social animals and a social order would be restored in almost any circumstance. A basic bug-out bag and a couple of pistols are all I need for now because I'd have to evacuate. I'd hike north to meet up with "my kin". There's very little fresh water in Florida.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,856,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
...................FWIW - a minimum of 21 SILVER dollars will insure access to the promise of the rules of the common law (7th amendment). So buy your land / house with a minimum of 21 silver dollars (and the balance in valuable consideration - such as pictures of presidents on green paper).

//www.city-data.com/forum/15895513-post18.html
And if a property is already paid off with no mortgage but was not paid using at least 21 silver dollars, then what? Does that mean no access to the 7th Amendment for that owner of real estate in regard to said property?

7th Amendment

I suspect what I am getting at is "trial by jury" if the US government were going to attempt to seize said real property for any reason without justly compensating the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness