Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times

Advertisements

It seems to me (and maybe it is just my fears making me notice patterns that aren't there) that there have been a lot of big seismic and volcanic events in recent years. This leads me to worrying if the overdue Yellowstone Supervolcano is going to erupt in my lifetime. If so is there any way I could survive this in the US without having spent several hundred thousand to a million plus on a compound to ride out the ash cloud and nuclear winter and take my chances with the stereotypical roving bands of post-apocalyptic neo-savages and biker gangs. Or is my best bet if I want to stay in the US to hitch a ride on the first flight to southern Europe when the eruption starts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 PM

229 posts, read 439,641 times
Well, I'm not putting all my off grid money in solar panels. I am thinking about a small greenhouse. Florescent lights can be used for grow lamps when needed.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 AM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Alburn the model that I saw lately doesn't have the Southeast covered in ash. If the Yellowstone subsurface volcano does blow it will have enormous impact on the Southwest and Plain States. This magma chamber is apparently the largest in the world and has caused around 1650 recordable albeit small earthquakes since Janurary of this year and 150 on Saturday last week. There are many unknowns such as the amount of debris ie, dust ,ash ,smoke and water vapor and what evlevation into the atmosphere? If lets say 60.000 feet with a strong easterly winds perhaps the Midwest could get a 1/2 foot of ash + or-? Alabama will suffer from a disrrupted interstate commerse, short term nuclear winter,food /water shortages, looters (desparate for supplies) communcation network down ,electrical grids down and unavilable help (medical, (especialy respiratory)goods and services, As a christian we are speculating that Yellowstone could in part usher in the 7 year Tribulation period and could act as a plate techtonic stimuli that reactivates the New Madrid fault and orthers across the country. The whole key is to be prepared . We have a intense Food Pantry and even pet pantry (just received 2 5 gallon buckets of food from Food for Health and a bunch of Seycelle water filters,crank flashlights,firestarters,first aid kit,crank/batt radios's(4),portable stove,(chaffing burners-better than sterno)four grab and go backpacks,toliet items incl seat(dispose bags),portable gravity shower,12 guage shotgun and holstered glock,money,sealed important papers,batteries,waterproof matches,windproof lighters,suture kit ,Silver Sol liquid and gel,dry clothes,wipes, dust masks, lightweight tent, compact tool kit etc. Yellowstones magma chamber has been leaking sulpheric gases for years killing vegetation and heards of buffalo and various birds. It's dome has been rising 3 inches per year and is predicted to blow eventually so just be prepared.

Das
If you purchase Food for Health I recommend about four 275 meals size and four Seychelle water filters plus the 16oz bottle with internal filter (the food has a 20 year shelf life or more ) Internet
orders.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 03-16-2011 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: formating

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
More fear mongering and unfounded hysteria.

There have not been herds of buffalo being killed of course vegetation can't live close to a feature.
If this was true people would be dieing too as they are exposed to the same gasses as the animals are.
We go there twice a year and trust me if such a thing was happening the greenees would be all over it and the NSP would post warring signs.

Any volcano can blow, and some day the Yellowstone volcano may erupt too.
But lest stick to the facts.

"Yellowstones magma chamber has been leaking sulpheric gases for years killing vegetation and heards of buffalo and various birds. It's dome has been rising 3 inches per year and is predicted to blow eventually so just be prepared."

Then if it does blow and you live in the path of the ash cloud or ash fall out just move.
if you get as suggested two plus feet of ash your property will be useless and not worth defending and no one is going to come and try to take your waste land from you.
Most smart folks will pack up and move.

jmo..
2nd there are active volcanoes that can also erupt and do the same or more damage.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
It seems to me (and maybe it is just my fears making me notice patterns that aren't there) that there have been a lot of big seismic and volcanic events in recent years. This leads me to worrying if the overdue Yellowstone Supervolcano is going to erupt in my lifetime. If so is there any way I could survive this in the US without having spent several hundred thousand to a million plus on a compound to ride out the ash cloud and nuclear winter and take my chances with the stereotypical roving bands of post-apocalyptic neo-savages and biker gangs. Or is my best bet if I want to stay in the US to hitch a ride on the first flight to southern Europe when the eruption starts?
If Yellowstone blows then for those within the overall blast range death is a blessing.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Das, confused on the food. Is that 4 cases of 275 meals each person? 1,100 meals is only enough for 1 meal a day for around 3 years.

'IF', more like when Yellowstone goes up, and 'IF' that is a grand slam, for the poor souls left, I read they can face a 5 years long winter.

I don't think I could survive winter that long and I like winter. if I was interested in trying I'ld like more than 1 meal a day for 3 years. What would really upset me it is live those years on one meal and day and find out I was 2 years short.

Snofarmer they are tawkin a big ka BOOM, not a sulfer leak. There are several maps showing the ashfall of past historic, really did happen events, and the blast zone, combined with ashfall coveres a very large area.

If anything big happens it isn't just a USA problem. With in a couple weeks it will be a massive global problem.

I been there to, and was more worried about the buffers on the road since I was on a motorcycle than I was about anything else. My next worry was the snow....

Tightwad, yeah man I think if science told me yellow stone was gonna blow big time July 17th 2011. I'ld go straight there, park, crack a cold one, and law down to watch.

I don't want to survive that sort of thing, any more than I would a all out nuke war the old way, with massive sized bombs. Same deal too. I'ld find a high place to stand right out there and watch.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
More fear mongering and unfounded hysteria.

There have not been herds of buffalo being killed of course vegetation can't live close to a feature.
If this was true people would be dieing too as they are exposed to the same gasses as the animals are.
We go there twice a year and trust me if such a thing was happening the greenees would be all over it and the NSP would post warring signs.

Any volcano can blow, and some day the Yellowstone volcano may erupt too.
But lest stick to the facts.

"Yellowstones magma chamber has been leaking sulpheric gases for years killing vegetation and heards of buffalo and various birds. It's dome has been rising 3 inches per year and is predicted to blow eventually so just be prepared."

Then if it does blow and you live in the path of the ash cloud or ash fall out just move.
if you get as suggested two plus feet of ash your property will be useless and not worth defending and no one is going to come and try to take your waste land from you.
Most smart folks will pack up and move.

jmo..
2nd there are active volcanoes that can also erupt and do the same or more damage.
Yes, more fear mongering. Volcanoes wouldn't have balls enough to erupt on us. We are above that sort of thing. Masters of our universe.

Oh, by the way, I have a sweating old stick of dynamite sitting on my dresser. I found it in an old mine shaft. People have told me that it could blow me to kingdom come at any moment. I don't believe them and refuse to even entertain the idea that it could blow up. Damn fear mongers. I tell them that there are lots of sticks of dynamite all around the world and that any of them could blow. I refuse to give in to fear mongering and unfounded hysteria.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Alaska would be safe, the Northeast would be safe too. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Yellowstone if it erupted. It would for all practical purposes destroy the U.S. as a country economically and agriculturally (most store bought food comes from areas that would be destroyed or covered in ash).

Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Arctic, I am not so sure the Nor' East would be safe from a 5 year long winter. Maybe 'we' could still make maple sugar year round, but that would be about it. Just one full year of winter would end most crops. That would kill wild game as well as any domestic stock.

It might bring on the next ice age too. Atleast it would shut up the man made global warmists.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:24 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
AuburnAl,

If you are indeed in the Auburn vicinity, you will not be directly affected. You WILL, however, be affected by the "induced winter" likely to follow the eruption of the Yellowstone Supervolcano.

Speaking as one who grew up in south Alabama (1959-1988), and one who took disaster preparedness seriously (both then and now), your best bet is to (a) prepare to wait out the 1-to-3-year "winter" that is likely to follow the eruption, and (b) prepare to restart agriculture and gardening once the "winter" begins to abate.

My best advice to you and yours is to become essentially invisible for the first 3 months or so. By then the situation will have stabilized (and yes, this is a SIGNIFICANT euphemism).

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness