Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,815,357 times

Advertisements

I've been stocking up on some of these big "#10 cans" of freeze-dried foods (even if you don't fear the poop hitting the fan, there can always be hurricanes, power outages, etc., and you can always use them for camping or if you fall on hard times financially).

I have some from Mountain House, some from Wise Food Storage, and some from Food Insurance. I prefer the cans for long term storage, but the pouches are more convenient if I'm going to use them sooner than years from now.

I liked the prepared entree meals from Mountain House, like Chili Mac and Beef Stroganoff, and went to the site to order more, and it seems they are all out of stock. Here's their website.
Mountain House: Freeze Dried Food, Food Storage, Camping Food, Backpacking Food, Emergency Preparedness.
What do you think of this FEMA thing they are talking about? Apparently some of their customer had "concerns" about FEMA maybe buying up all their products? Is that what I'm reading?

Not only are their big cans of food out of stock, but most of their pouches of freeze-dried food are unavailable.

Now I'm checking the other two sites to see if they are selling out. I'm also wondering if the threats to the US dollar, or maybe the tsunami and earthquakes in Japan have caused a rush to buy these foods for storage. Has anyone else heard about any shortages of emergency foods?

Here are the other two places I mentioned above.
Food Storage & Emergency Food Supply | Wise Food Storage

Food Storage, Survival Food, Emergency Food by Food Insurance

Also, please post links to other companies you might recommend that sell long-term storage emergency foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM

25,362 posts, read 18,496,433 times
I generally don't buy prepared meals for food storage, so I can't say anything about a shortage on that. But if you are interested in bulk food staples (grains, oats, beans, dehydrated veggies/fruits, dried eggs, dried butter, milk, etc) you can try Augason Farms (dot com). It has been getting a bit expensive lately, but luckily there are often sales at grocery stores in my area (yes, the grocery stores around here sell prep/bulk storage foods). Most of the bulk items in cans or buckets have a 30 year shelf life.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM

7,486 posts, read 10,444,293 times
We just buy regular dry goods and canned goods at Costco or our local stores. We also do a lot of our own canning, especially of meats and "ready to eat" foods. Our motto is, Buy what you eat, Eat what you buy. Also, FIFO (first in, first out). That way, our food stash is always in constant rotation and we don't worry much about putting anything away for 15 years.

We have not even looked in the direction of the big # 10 cans, or of MRE's or any of the websites that sell "preparedness foods". They may well keep a little longer, but they are pricey, subject to shortages (as the OP has noted), and who knows what they taste like.

I'd rather stick to what I know, and what I know we'll eat.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM

25,362 posts, read 18,496,433 times
I've been "trying" freeze-dried foods sold in bulk for some time now. Of course, we all know what beans, wheat, oats, flour, sugar, honey, etc taste like, so I never worry about buying that (as long as it's not "buggy" or anything), but other food items vary greatly. I've had certain things that really taste bad. So I don't buy that any more. But other things, like the dried "scrambled eggs" I bought a few weeks ago, are delicious. I'd have no problem with having several #10 cans of that.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's best not to just buy a bunch of stuff to throw in the basement in case things blow up. But rather, actually eat what you are storing. Rotate it (as mentioned above). That way there will be not much of a "shock" if you have to completely rely on it. You get used to certain things and even start liking it after while. For instance, I've always like rice when it's prepared Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, Indian, etc... but at one time I really wouldn't eat it just steamed white. But, now I love it. I just cook it with a tiny bit of butter powder and dash of salt and black pepper. Good stuff. When I started relying more on my own cooking, I made an effort to eat more "plain" foods, rather than things that require a lot of spice and time to cook. I still love spicy foods, but I don't really have a problem with "simple" foods like I did at one time. Plain white rice--no problem. Straight boiled oats--no problem. Boiled/cracked wheat--fine. You get used to these things over time.

Another benefit of stored basic foodstuffs is that it's simple and lasts a long, long time. A bucket of rice or wheat or oats or spelt or honey or sugar will last longer than I do if it's stored properly.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,895,786 times
If you have a friend who is Mormon, you can ask if they go to their cannery and if they would bring you next time. It is a great way to get inexpensive, bulk items. After trying to make sense of all the bulk items, I'm just going to go this way. I have several LDS friends, but one especially is willing to sit down with me and work it all out AND bring me to the cannery to buy! Of course, this is out West--not sure what infrastructure the LDS church has in the East.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,815,357 times
I do keep lots of canned goods and dried foods too (pasta, rice, beans), all stuff that I eat normally.

But I tend to stress-out about expiration dates and even "best by" dates (I know, I know), and don't want to deal with the anxiety/pressure about constantly rotating stuff around in my pantry and eating food (force-feeding) before it expires. Sure, it's all things that I like to eat normally, but I don't want to get stuck having to eat Dinty Moore stew or Campbell's Tomato Soup every day for like two weeks to beat an expiration date.

I like the peace of mind of the 25 year shelf life stuff: put it on a shelf and forget it, or prepare some of it now & then when I'm not in the mood to cook anything else.

I've tried some of the Mountain House and Food Insurance meals, and thought they were pretty good. Not like a fine restaurant, but pretty good for a nice hearty dinner or lunch of "comfort food." They taste as good as any crock-pot recipes I've tried.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,551,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
If you have a friend who is Mormon, you can ask if they go to their cannery and if they would bring you next time. It is a great way to get inexpensive, bulk items. After trying to make sense of all the bulk items, I'm just going to go this way. I have several LDS friends, but one especially is willing to sit down with me and work it all out AND bring me to the cannery to buy! Of course, this is out West--not sure what infrastructure the LDS church has in the East.
You don't need to be an LDS church member or Mormon to buy the product they sell.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:33 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,913,904 times
I have noticed that most of the freeze-dried ready-meals (cans, pouches and MRE-style) are limited availability or just plain sold out at almost all the places that I get my storage staples.

Could be that everyone is freaking out over the impact of the Japan disaster, or that people are buying them up to send/donate to folks over there.

Try to find iodine tablets... they're notably hard to get these days as well.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,306,247 times
The shortage actually started in December and now with the disaster in Japan I imagine it will last much longer.

Mountain House Freeze Dried Food Update: Shortages Will Continue In 2011, Largest Manufacturer Suspends Distribution

Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,895,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You don't need to be an LDS church member or Mormon to buy the product they sell.
According to all my sources, you do (or be accompanied by one). It isn't a store in the sense that they are there to make a profit. And it isn't put out there like a Safeway where anyone can walk in at any time. Perhaps each cannery is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness