Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
like you i find some of the things that they are offering a little stange because i can go out and buy them myself ..but where i can see the idea beening sold is about the people who are the socalled movers and shakers not haveing the basic time to set down and get the items that they need and that where the socalled time and money is coming into the play for them to have someone sit down and have someone do it for them ..

the scalled metal contact cards is a good idea with evey person phone number on them for just in case type contact
i think that most people are just too dependent on pre-made everything, from meals to plans of action and rely on others to do their thinking for them. Anybody with the smallest amount of sense should be able to sit down and think about what they might need in this or that scenario.

Look at a lot of the young people today. There are several young girls I work with who can't cook if it can't be microwaved, or couldn't make soup if it didn't come out of a can. How pathetic is that? I don't know what they're going to do when something catostrophic happens and there is no power. Well, yes I do....they're going to come begging for those of us who are more self sufficient for help.

I blame technology for a lot of it. I mean technology is great, but people can go all day every day without doing anything more physical than going to the toilet; a lot of people can't even write a proper letter anymore because there's no spell check, they don't know how to spell a word unless it's the texting short version, or at the very least because it's just easier to text. I feel that we are largely "advancing" ourselves right back to the starting blocks, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
i think that most people are just too dependent on pre-made everything, from meals to plans of action and rely on others to do their thinking for them. .... I feel that we are largely "advancing" ourselves right back to the starting blocks, but that's just me.
Great post, and very true. You've summed it up very well. Modern technology is great... until you surrender to it your complete dependency and complete trust.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
i think that most people are just too dependent on pre-made everything, from meals to plans of action and rely on others to do their thinking for them. Anybody with the smallest amount of sense should be able to sit down and think about what they might need in this or that scenario.

Look at a lot of the young people today. There are several young girls I work with who can't cook if it can't be microwaved, or couldn't make soup if it didn't come out of a can. How pathetic is that? I don't know what they're going to do when something catostrophic happens and there is no power. Well, yes I do....they're going to come begging for those of us who are more self sufficient for help.

I blame technology for a lot of it. I mean technology is great, but people can go all day every day without doing anything more physical than going to the toilet; a lot of people can't even write a proper letter anymore because there's no spell check, they don't know how to spell a word unless it's the texting short version, or at the very least because it's just easier to text. I feel that we are largely "advancing" ourselves right back to the starting blocks, but that's just me.
Yup... I have been asked at primitive events things like: Do you really cook over that fire?

This is one of the problems with the anti gun folks. They have this idea that they are smart people and CAN'T make a gun, so if they can't no one else can. I got a little bad news for that type. I can and i do.

My life has been harsh enough to put about 10 people in the looney bin, but instead I just got a little smarter.

I make almost all my wants, not needs maybe, but wants, and in foods, leather weorking, sewwing clothes, to knives I have made from old files, doing the heat treating too, for up to 450 bucks. I make sterling silver Trade Silver when I want, sometimes i decorate my wife and other times I use it as money like it was used orginially.

The power goes off, or a big storm comes along and I just go love to watch. When it's power I crank up a radio, and when it's a storm I go see.

I just got done with gallon 10 of pure maple sugar. I add heat. No one will buy any since each 1/2 pint comes with a new born human baby.

It take 40 gallons to 1 to get maple, and I don't boil that much water with out giving babies away either

400 gallons on a back yard rig is some work. My little rig does just 5 gallon an hour. Next year is under way right now and next year my rig should boil off 15 gallons an hour. ( I hope, since I am old)

Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 PM

229 posts, read 439,903 times
Mac, I bought ten sugar maple saplings last year but they didn't live through the season. (neither did most of it) No doubt I will try again, very soon. My grandson likes maple syrup and will be old enough to cook it by the time the trees would produce enough sap.

Of course all I know about it has come from a book, so far. But you have to start somewhere. In 30 years or so, someone might be awfully glad to have those trees.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM

I can only wonder if sugarin' will be on the list of nice things to do at a time past mine. Here there is a wild bush of saplings far too small to be tapped, that I am cleaning up, and thinning out, so they can grow right.

I think I did my last season boil down yesterday, but I might be wrong. There might still be a last boil off later this week since on Wed night we should have a last cold snap with snow. If there is 20 gallons it will make about 2 qts, and if there is i will boil it.

I usually don't fire up with out 40+ gallons on hand, but I will. Well stocked shelves is just like money in the bank to me. Except I don't keep money in the bank much these days, since that is risky.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,566 times
Default wish i'd of thought of it...

Just think of all the that could've been made off that idea... Wonder if there's a market for a serious Bug-out kit. Wonder what other ideas could be done along those lines to generate some income for my family to REALLY drop out of society before the you know what happens

Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:

Progress is often a code word for "obscuring the details". The whole idea of technology, economies of scale, the food chain as exercised in the developed countries is to take away the need for you to bother yourself with details. It also allows you to focus of more "productive" tasks, whatever they are as defined by society at that moment. Like every system built on layer upon layer of abstraction, the higher up you are in the layers, the less you understand the details.

The problem with this setup is what happens when the bottom layers get endangered. For example, ranch land is disappearing at a rapid pace all over the United States and with that wildlife habitats, river sheds, lake basins, forests, species etc. But, your average suburbanite high in the chain buys meat that magically appears on the shelves, soup that has "materialized" in a can conveniently heatable by a microwave. The disconnect is obvious and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that when we finally develop the last piece of ranchland into a concrete bedroom community, the people high up in the chain will suffer. That's the "slow death" scenario. The "quick death" one is some kind of a man made or natural disaster big enough to cause a destruction of one of the lower layers upon which our civilization is built.

Finally, technology and progress have allowed humans to multiply and consume at exorbitant rates. Were the technology and science (and medicine) to remain the same as the, let's say, 1800s, the level of population would have followed the capabilities. Today's technology and progress allow everything to survive that should not survive. Just like when government gets involved into the economy and way of life it usually turns ugly - the same way mankind has interfered with Nature and one cannot expect it to turn well.

A lot of crap today is cultural too. Were the Native Indians to survive and remain the dominant peoples - this country would have been much different (and more Nature preserved). The European culture transferred to the US is destructive by very definition. If you are going to put a price tag on everything, what you get is what you have today.

If everyone in this country decided to grow their own food and go back to the basic tasks of yesteryear - we would be in deep ****

My $.02

Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,694 times
What they are really selling is not the bag, but the consultation services. The real product is the education that is taught directly to your family, personalized just for you and your own situation. The most expensive service plan gives a full year of practices and consultations with their experts. For people who have no idea how to even start to plan for an emergency, I suppose it could be quite useful. Especially if you had a lot of money, but not much personal time to investigate the options yourself. You just pay someone else to do all of this for you.

The average person could easily find out all the information they need with a few hours spent online, and a few weekends practicing things such as evacuation routes.Likewise, an emergency bag with contents specific to their needs could be made up with just a little planning. Strange to think so, but most people simply don't think about the need for such things. Our modern way of living has greatly diminished the need for much of that in their eyes because of the easy availability of just about anything and everything. Pantries are rare, because everywhere you look there is a store. Everybody thinks that there will be help if anything goes wrong, they can't really even imagine the idea of having to be on their own. Someone has always stepped up in the past, surely they will always do so in the future.

I know it isn't quite as simplistic as I stated, but basically that is what it all boils down to. At least the people who utilize Black Umbrella's services are taking some steps toward reality. Most people don't take those steps at all. While they could do this just as easily on their own, and gain much more useful information while doing so, I would hope that using such a service would someday lead to these families learning more about the benefits of a prepared lifestyle. So they spend a lot more than you or I would on those services, who cares really? It isn't my money, so it isn't my business. I'm just glad another family has started gathering some of the tools they need to help them survive in the event of an emergency.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:

Totally agree... except it isn't just the "young people". We have a school cafeteria supervisor who makes homemade whole wheat bread every day for the students, who serves amazing meals with whole-grain pasta, wholesome food, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Yet the PARENTS are furious, because their kids are used to the pre-made stuff; hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken strips, french fries, chips, tacos, etc; that's all their parents will cook for them at home, and that's what they should get at school, too. I know several women my own age who think that pouring a can of Coke over a roast and cooking it in a crockpot all day is the upper limit of fine cuisine.
Pretty pathetic.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Is that coke trick artisic lic., or is that a real trick? I am not so sure i would go there.....

Over the past weekend I took my Bride to Truants tavern in little N. Woodstock. On the menu was broild sea scallops and came in a light white wine sauce. I wasn't any to sure I would want any wine on scallops, but that time it worked out well and didn't over power the scallops.

It also came with a nuberg sauce and i had that in a little service container set to the side. I was glad I did, that stuff was over powering, and had it been spread all over the food I would have been upset. I am fussy about sea foods, since as a wee lad I used to dig clams. There are many ways to ruin good sea food messin' around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness