Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM

99 posts, read 531,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoekae View Post
Of course, for some things (such as stitches/surgeries/splinting broken bones) doctors are better.
For things like this, I find a combination of treatments is the way to go. Comfrey has helped heal more than on broken bone around here, after the doc sets it of course. Amazing for bruised ribs as well, for which I know of no "medical" cure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM

17 posts, read 18,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowtown2snowdog View Post
For things like this, I find a combination of treatments is the way to go. Comfrey has helped heal more than on broken bone around here, after the doc sets it of course. Amazing for bruised ribs as well, for which I know of no "medical" cure.

That's very true. I have a pretty poor family, so it's not always possible for us to go to a doctor, even for some of the more serious ills. I've successfully treated pneumonia (with garlic), staph infections, and even an infected toe that had turned black, with no doctor visit at all. I just meant that for certain things, like broken bones, need to be seen by a doctor. Follow ups can be herbal, though.

For those who are interested, this soak is what I used to treat my dad's infected toe. I didn't have any money, so I just used what was around the house.

Garlic
Onions
Coltsfoot (we had some in our yard)
Willow bark (I used a few aspirin dissolved in the water, but I prefer willow bark when available.)
Honey
Salt (a lot. I used almost a whole canister all together.)
Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Extra tea (For the Chamomile and Licorice, and also for the peppermint for the pain)

It should be as hot as you can stand it.

Disclaimer: If you have a medical condition, go to a licensed medical doctor. I am not a licensed medical professional. This post is intended for informational purposes only. Blah blah.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,237 times
Aoekae, I commend you for what you are trying to do, but please be advised that an herbalist is not trained to diagnose medical conditions, and if you are not aware of the complete medical history, you may give information which may exacerbate other conditions. Please take the disclamer seriously.
I use herbs, and feel that thay are often better than mainstream medicines, but I do a lot of research on each herb before I use it as a medicine.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 18,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Aoekae, I commend you for what you are trying to do, but please be advised that an herbalist is not trained to diagnose medical conditions, and if you are not aware of the complete medical history, you may give information which may exacerbate other conditions. Please take the disclamer seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I use herbs, and feel that thay are often better than mainstream medicines, but I do a lot of research on each herb before I use it as a medicine.

I appreciate your input. You bring up some very valid points.

I am not diagnosing anything here, however. I am sharing information on herbs for the specific ailments that the posters ask about. I am not in any way telling them what their ailments are. And, actually, I am a pre-med student, so I essentially am (at least somewhat) trained to diagnose things. (Both in the western medical method and in the traditional Chinese medicine method) Ironic, I know, since I tend to hate mainstream medicine. I hope to be an herb prescribing doctor.

But even if that were not the case...I'm simply not diagnosing anything. I have not, and will not, tell someone: You have such and such disorder, use these herbs. Not only would it be foolish to pretend I can diagnose people online, it would also be dangerous for the people involved because it’s impossible to diagnose something accurately without an examination and/or tests. It would be like pointing to a random person and naming off a disease. It might be true, but most likely it isn't.

I know there are drug interactions...but many of the herbs I mention here are edible, usually eaten pretty commonly. If they were going to exacerbate a condition, it would do so without my recommendation. (Garlic, Ginger, onion, etc, are edible and used frequently. Chamomile is a common tea, so is mint, licorice is a common candy/tea, etc.) And many herbs do not have the side effects that western/mainstream drugs do. Oftentimes they're not as concentrated, and the effects are less.

And...I do take the disclaimers seriously. Except that last one. Because it was to be used externally, and everything in the list was edible, and quite commonly used. (Except willow bark/aspirin, it's not a foodstuff obviously, but it's incredibly well known compared to other herbs)

Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 AM

That's great that you are going into the medical field and have faith in herbs, as so many do not. Congratulations. From your post you seemed to be blowing the disclamer off, and I simply wanted to make you aware of how important it is.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:50 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,154 times
Interesting discussion!

Is there any book you can recommend to help increase my knowledge of herbs? Or websites?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM

There are a great many herbal books out there, but if I could only have one in my home, it would be The Green pharmacy, By Dr. James Duke. Back to Eden, by Jethro Kloss, and Herbs for health and healing by Kathi Keville are two others I really like.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,154 times
Just saw this -- belated thanks, Masonsdaughter!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Welcome. Hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness