Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times

Advertisements

I shouldn't give away too many secrets but when I bought the current house I had home defense in mind. All of the bedrooms are on the top floor. House is a tri-level. You would have to come up 2 sets of steps and down a 20ft hallway before you got to the bedrooms. The corners have been "reinforced" so they can be used as cover if needed.

As for the plan. Anything happens I immediately grab the Sig and the light and go for the kid one room over. Return to our room where we have a large walk in closet. Again the walls have been "reinforced". The kid and the GF stay in the closet and on the phone with the cops. I'm in the bedroom in a corner with the best vantage point of the door. Anything comes through that door gets it. The GF has a 12G in the closet should anyone get past me.

Notice I didn't go try to clear the house. I'll let the police show up and they can do it. After all that is what our taxes pay for.

A good friend of mine is a tactical instructor and helped me when I wanted to put a plan in place. If you're serious about home protection it's not a bad idea for you to do something similar.

We had to put this plan in action about 3 yrs ago. We heard the glass on the sliding glass doors break. Not knowing what it was we went into action. The cops arrived about 5 mins later. Come to find out a deer had tried to jump through the doors. They found it badly bleeding a couple blocks away.

one last thing. Once you call, keep the cops on the line. They record everything and should you have to shoot someone they will have everything on tape. Also be sure to tell them your location in the home and that you are armed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Not home, so it doesn't matter.

I'd likely come home to find someone beat to death with a cane though.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
I shouldn't give away too many secrets but when I bought the current house I had home defense in mind. All of the bedrooms are on the top floor. House is a tri-level. You would have to come up 2 sets of steps and down a 20ft hallway before you got to the bedrooms. The corners have been "reinforced" so they can be used as cover if needed.

As for the plan. Anything happens I immediately grab the Sig and the light and go for the kid one room over. Return to our room where we have a large walk in closet. Again the walls have been "reinforced". The kid and the GF stay in the closet and on the phone with the cops. I'm in the bedroom in a corner with the best vantage point of the door. Anything comes through that door gets it. The GF has a 12G in the closet should anyone get past me.

Notice I didn't go try to clear the house. I'll let the police show up and they can do it. After all that is what our taxes pay for.

A good friend of mine is a tactical instructor and helped me when I wanted to put a plan in place. If you're serious about home protection it's not a bad idea for you to do something similar.

We had to put this plan in action about 3 yrs ago. We heard the glass on the sliding glass doors break. Not knowing what it was we went into action. The cops arrived about 5 mins later. Come to find out a deer had tried to jump through the doors. They found it badly bleeding a couple blocks away.

one last thing. Once you call, keep the cops on the line. They record everything and should you have to shoot someone they will have everything on tape. Also be sure to tell them your location in the home and that you are armed....
This is very important. The dispatchers should want you to remain on the line anyway, but sometimes people hang up. Letting the police know what room you are in, and staying there, will help them distinguish between your family and an intruder. I've been to several "prowler" calls, only to pull up and find the homeowner walking around outside trying to figure out what is going on.

I also agree with the post saying you shouldn't try to clear your house by yourself, whether you have a gun or not. Get your family in one room and protect them. There is no need for you to be walking around searching bedrooms and closets if the police are already on the way.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Just wanted to add one more dog anecdote:

When I lived in Virginia I knew this married couple, sweet, nerdy types. Both worked for an unnamed govt agency.

They had a pair of Dobermans. The dogs acted like big puppies, loved people and would let anybody into the house. Bad, right? Not really!

While they would allow anyone to enter, they were trained to let nobody leave without permission. If you tried, the pair would herd you into the kitchen until they were given the command to release.

Anyway, the couple went away for the weekend and left the dogs at home. When they returned they could see evidence of a break-in. According to the criminal who had spent 2 days on top of the fridge, the dogs allowed him access, followed him around, he thought he had it made. Right up until he put his hand on the door knob.

Maybe not the best way to train your guard dogs but at least it was different.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Just wanted to add one more dog anecdote:

When I lived in Virginia I knew this married couple, sweet, nerdy types. Both worked for an unnamed govt agency.

They had a pair of Dobermans. The dogs acted like big puppies, loved people and would let anybody into the house. Bad, right? Not really!

While they would allow anyone to enter, they were trained to let nobody leave without permission. If you tried, the pair would herd you into the kitchen until they were given the command to release.

Anyway, the couple went away for the weekend and left the dogs at home. When they returned they could see evidence of a break-in. According to the criminal who had spent 2 days on top of the fridge, the dogs allowed him access, followed him around, he thought he had it made. Right up until he put his hand on the door knob.

Maybe not the best way to train your guard dogs but at least it was different.
that is AWESOME! I'd love to know how to do this

Old 04-30-2011, 11:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
This is very important. The dispatchers should want you to remain on the line anyway, but sometimes people hang up. Letting the police know what room you are in, and staying there, will help them distinguish between your family and an intruder. I've been to several "prowler" calls, only to pull up and find the homeowner walking around outside trying to figure out what is going on.

I also agree with the post saying you shouldn't try to clear your house by yourself, whether you have a gun or not. Get your family in one room and protect them. There is no need for you to be walking around searching bedrooms and closets if the police are already on the way.
Out here the dispatchers won't stay on the line...takes 20 minutes for the cops to show anyhow, so they wouldn't get much done if they kept us on the line.

Besides, I'm more comfortable shooting two-handed, aren't most people?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Dealing with the police is a quandry. The police care most about one thing: their own safety. So, if you say: "there was a man with a gun in my house I don't know if he is still in the house", you are going to get a swat type response with the cops outside and you inside and who knows what they will do. A woman nearby bled to death after a knife wound because the cops stood their position outside her house for half an hour until they could confirm that the perp was not on the premises. If you hole up in a room, it better have a phone because you are as likely to get shot as not if the police think the perp is still in the house.

If you are injured, never tell the 911 operator that you think the perp is still there, you will never get the medical help until the cops have done their swat dance. For my part, I wouldn't even tell them it was an assault until they were treating me.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Default Tell me your routine for a nightly home invasion

I find a numbering system works well to orgainze my nightly hom invasions. While my invaders wait their turn I have them fill out a questionaire that asked which caliber bullets they prefer to be shot with, who their next of kin are, what they intend to appropriate from my domicile and whether they prefer law enforcment involvement and investigation or just have their mortal remains disposed of in the flower beds. Sometimes I even read the questionaires and briefly consider the invader's requests...

Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I find a numbering system works well to orgainze my nightly hom invasions. While my invaders wait their turn I have them fill out a questionaire that asked which caliber bullets they prefer to be shot with, who their next of kin are, what they intend to appropriate from my domicile and whether they prefer law enforcment involvement and investigation or just have their mortal remains disposed of in the flower beds. Sometimes I even read the questionaires and briefly consider the invader's requests...

I do that as well so that each nightly invasion can be just a little better run. It is a win win situation for all involved. I want happy home invaders if possible

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm thinking the invaders might become a bit impatient in that waiting room (did you convert your garage, or do you just use your living room?). I guess my question would be whether you provide them with entertainment during their wait? Perhaps some shoot-em-up video games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness