Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

OK, back up the front end loader at the basement door...grab off those pallets of gold bars, will ya? Stack 'em up on these here hand trucks...careful, they're heavy...my crew of guys will wheel 'em into the basement where they'll be dumped into a sand pit on the bottom of the basement floor. Tomorrow some more guys'll be coming to pour concrete over the whole mess of pallets holdin' them gold bars. They might well be under there for all eternity for all I know.

Gosh, it's wicked expensive storin' all that gold! Whew! Good thing I don't have to worry 'bout it rustin' or anything. Uhhhh...do I? Huh? Does gold rust? Hey -- wait a minnit...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Im stacking precious metals. They are called guns and ammo.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I've been stacking precious commodities - I have toilet paper in a huge storage closet - filled to the rafters. Seriously. What else is more precious besides water? I have a garage full tha tI rotate.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The type of metals I have do something, like go BOOM when asked. I can carry these pretty easy and they can put dinner on the plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Over the years I've amassed a fair amount of precious metals...
mostly brass and lead.
Hilarious! Love it.
Thanks! As you can see above, though, Mac sort of beat me to it!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Buttermilk pancakes is my stack of choice. Warm, fluffy, with butter and real maple syrup. Ummmm good.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Buttermilk pancakes is my stack of choice. Warm, fluffy, with butter and real maple syrup. Ummmm good.
DAMN!!! that sounds good.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Nope - stacking wood, stacking ammo, stacking water jugs, stacking stored foods... but PMs? Heck no. Can't eat it, can't burn it, can't drink it, and someone else has to be around and want it before it can provide one iota of usefulness.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Stacking also means steroids which isn't a great idea

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Okay, can someone clarify for me? Why does anyone care about precious metals in regards to preparedness? It isn't just this thread, but I have seen comments here and there about silver and gold and the price of and how pure...or something. I tend to skip over those posts... But who cares? Right now we use the dollar to purchase (please don't go into "the dollar isn't worth anything" arguement--I understand that), and if we can no longer use the dollar to purchase, well, wouldn't that be a SHTF scenerio where all that other planning and preparing would come into play? And if there was something you needed that you could still manage to "purchase," wouldn't you be more likely to do so by "purchasing" with something edible or drinkable or with something that helps another person get something edible or drinkable?

It seems like everyone is in line with the above thinking, but like I said, I have seen quite a few posts on other threads discussing silver and gold and just couldn't figure out why it mattered.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Okay, can someone clarify for me? Why does anyone care about precious metals in regards to preparedness? It isn't just this thread, but I have seen comments here and there about silver and gold and the price of and how pure...or something. I tend to skip over those posts... But who cares? Right now we use the dollar to purchase (please don't go into "the dollar isn't worth anything" arguement--I understand that), and if we can no longer use the dollar to purchase, well, wouldn't that be a SHTF scenerio where all that other planning and preparing would come into play? And if there was something you needed that you could still manage to "purchase," wouldn't you be more likely to do so by "purchasing" with something edible or drinkable or with something that helps another person get something edible or drinkable?

It seems like everyone is in line with the above thinking, but like I said, I have seen quite a few posts on other threads discussing silver and gold and just couldn't figure out why it mattered.
Evidently it is not likey you ever held any real money once in your life. This is pretty typical for anyone born after 1957, when the last Siver Certifiate was printed. The last 90% siver American coins were minted in 1964, and in 65 the last vestige if coins in a % of siver which I forget the % were minted.

I guess the last of any real valued coins we had was the cent in copper, and I forget what year that was as well.

The Govt's of the world typically guaranteed silver to be of a certain value since man made money. Before that assorted items were used as a means of trade, like sea shells as dentaliun shells, or wampum. Other early cultures use stonce, sometimes very large but cut to appear as giant donuts, and were so large no single man could move them.

Other cultures like the American Indian used ponies.

For some cultuers money was a sign of wealth you could wear, such as coins with a hole, or chains made of silver where to use the chain to buy a item, links were removed. In the early Euro/American Fur Trade Silver objects as earring, brooches, bracletts, and arm bands were wearable money.

Other metals were sometimes used as well, but mainly silver was the accepted metal then and since time, once silver was discovered.

Since then, silver was the basic standard, with odd bits of other metals sometimes accepted.

I am also aware of tobbaco leaves and grains such as corn being used as money, but silver was King over most forms of money for a very long time.

These days there is no guarantee what so ever as to the value of a dollar.

The dollar is what ever anyone is willing to trade for it, and since there is no standard, and any time the Govt wants it can cancell the use of private notes on a whim. If the Govt wants it can say a roll of TP is money as things are right now. And IMO a roll of TP is probably worth more than a buck. We would just look silly walking around trading items for rolls of TP.

It appears as working all day for most people earning dollars worth 2.1 cents is no problem, but in that case anything you buy is a really great deal huh?

I don't feel like breaking down to a 25 cent pice in silver right now, as I need more coffee, but if you do you will find a old siver 25 cent pieces is worth more than a gallon of gas if the gas is 5.00 bucks a gallon.

This should scare the pants of all of us, but it does not because most people have no idea, or care that money is worthless.

When a ounce of silver becomes worth the stated $250.00 this year it could mean a loaf of bread is worth so much you can't possibley pay for one. That all will depend on what usless trivial items you have, anyone else will accept as a item of value.

The why some people want these metals is to hedge the bet that silver and gold, with other metals will always have a value. That they see a day where a paper note not back up and guaranteed by anythung will be worthless.

What will you do with 10,000 worthless paper notes? I'll wipe my butt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness