Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times

Advertisements

Every big city I have ever visited, or lived in, had a lot of people who were quite happy to live on government handouts supplemented by crime. I would not want to live in a big city during hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Every big city I have ever visited, or lived in, had a lot of people who were quite happy to live on government handouts supplemented by crime. I would not want to live in a big city during hard times.
There are cities and places that are worse than others. I used Miami as an example(and a good one) as place due to the heat that attracts a lot of lowlifes.

FL has been known as a "sunny place for shady people" for years.

You have people there now who barely act civil. Try driving there.

Miami has a well deserved image as having rude people with a "me first" attitude.

Now imagine civil unrest or a natural disaster put into the mix.

If I had to choose between say Seattle or Miami as a place to be in during a disaster, I would pick Seattle.

Both our large cities. Yet they have a completely different feel and way of life.

It is not uncommon in Miami to have someone hit your car and keep driving. How are they going to act if the SHTF?

I agree, no large city would be ideal in a major crisis. But some are better than others.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:20 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There are cities and places that are worse than others. ...

... Miami has a well deserved image as having rude people with a "me first" attitude.

... I agree, no large city would be ideal in a major crisis. But some are better than others.
General rudeness and crime are often proportional to population density.

You compared Seattle to Miami. Lets look:
Seattle has just under 7,000 people living per square mile.
Miami has over 12,000 people living per square mile.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:29 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Yeah 'cause we do not subsidize farms up the wazoo. A lot of farmers and ranchers are perfectly happy to enjoy all sorts of government handouts - such as grazing BLM lands for near to nothing, direct and indirect tax and pay subsidies etc. Please....

Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
General rudeness and crime are often proportional to population density.

You compared Seattle to Miami. Lets look:
Seattle has just under 7,000 people living per square mile.
Miami has over 12,000 people living per square mile.
There is more to it then just population density.

Yes that comes into play.

But other factors are involved.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I understand that some places serve as gateways from other cultures coming to the US. An influx from more 'criminal' cultures would have a noticeable impact.

That does not negate the effect of high population density.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I understand that some places serve as gateways from other cultures coming to the US. An influx from more 'criminal' cultures would have a noticeable impact.

I'm talking about everything from driving on the highway to how people act in stores.

In regards to basic manners.

I have lived in Oregon where people for the most part drive the speed limit and know what a turn signal is, to FL where it is a free for all.

People in the PNW tend to be more reserved and harder to get to know, but they're courteous in everyday situations.

In FL(well especially in south FL) due to the many transplants from all over you find people always trying to get ahead of one another. It is a very "me first" mentality.

Even in less populated areas there is a difference in everyday behavior between different parts of the country.

My point is(as was the point of this thread) there are certain parts of the country where people act more civil with each other under normal circumstances.

Therefore it would be desirable to be in certain places over others in the event of civil unrest due to an economic collapse or some natural disaster.

Joplin, Missouri is a good example. Did you hear of any looting going on?

People pulled together.

Do you think it would be the same if a hurricane hit outside Miami? Not likely.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
SCGranny, I've enjoyed and learned from your posts on living where you do.

If you're not compromising OPSEC, how close is this developing situation to you? Are you upwind?

River brings nuke plant declaration - Omaha.com
Ohhhh, yes, we are upwind... especially when you consider that the winds here are frequently a gentle 20 mph on a normal day, and can get as high as 75 mph during a blizzard... that's several DAYS of high-powered wind!

We live 'downslope' from the Rockies, and get that wind as the fronts pour down off of them. Historical records show that some pioneer women, faced with the endless, day-in-day-out winds howling across their lonely properties, would go mad from the constant, single sound of wind. Some would kill themselves, others their whole families. When the wind isn't blowing loud enough to make a sound, it is frequently deadly silent for hours... except for the occasional moo or hoot owl. Me, I love it. For too many years I was surrounded by endless noise; a major railroad track behind my house, a major interstate in front of it, not to mention people who were too afraid of silence to hush and listen, or to not make as much noise as possible, to feel alive, to make others take notice of them.

I also spent too many years in airports and large cities, bustling with very important people going to very important places, all with their eyes firmly ahead of them, looking neither to right or left. I once started making mooing noises in the loooooong switchback lines at Dulles, because we all looked like nothing so much as cattle being herded into chutes for branding or butchering...

As for the flooding, our rivers and lakes are full, and the Niobrara River that flows from west to east and dumps into the Missouri is - sad to say - adding to the problem in the eastern half of the state. Our water runs downhill to the Plains...

We live about 5.5 hours west-northwest of Omaha, most of it on two-lane roads that hemstitch the plains of the east to the hills of the west in long straight black threads. About the only thing we "fear" here is Yellowstone blowing, 2 states away. And since that super-volcano is predicted to send the whole world into a vast nuclear winter, I figure maybe we are close enough to go quickly - IF it happens in our lifetimes. Tornadoes are not as prevalent here as the Weather Channel desperately, noisily insists, and a few earthquakes have shaken the ground around us in the past - but nothing like MO or CA; there's no discernible fault line here.

So we are about as safe as one can be from natural disasters anywhere on the planet. As for man-made disasters - Trans-Canada and their oil pipelines, the latest of which they are trying to build across the Sandhills region (I live in a corner of it) - porus soil that sits directly above the Ogallala Aquifer, the main source of water for not only 7 states, but for Nebraska's cattle industry - I'm more worried about stupid people like that, than I am about a terrorist attack, or hordes of starving shrieking welfare-zombies and meth-heads, heading this way. The distances, lack of obvious resources/victims, and 'empty' land will kill them long before they get here. And if it's winter... they'll be meatsicles, coyote food, and not much to worry about (other than causing an uptick in the coyote population).

Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:

The United States has one of the highest crime (but not murder) rates in the world. What's the definition of a "more criminal" culture?

Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Citiots

Yes, that is a contraction of two words - city and idiots. I find people in the city are more divorced from reality than people in the country. When I speak of people in the country, I am not talking about agribusinesses.

Citiots believe that any emergency is short lived and soon everything will return to normal. When it doesn't happen, they become angry and look for someone to blame. I work in New Orleans, and I see this mentality in some of my coworkers. They 'need', so they have a right to . . . . .

I believe will the government do whatever necessary to prevent riots, and preserve and extend the government's powers. If my understanding is correct, the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 authorizes the President to declare a national emergency if there is 'a threat with a foreign origin'. He can then issue orders to regulate commerce, and seize assets associated with this threat. What is stop the President from declaring that anyone not 'cooperating' with the government is cooperating with a foreign threat? Selling to someone, who sells to someone . . . . .

Wasn't Mark Rich accused of violating the act whenhe made some trades involving Iranian oil?

I do know that charges were brought under this act against Americans who traveled to Iraq to act as human shields in advance of the 2003 invasion based on the fact that they spent money while in Iraq!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness