Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not only that but warmer climates(especially humid ones) attract a lot of lowlifes. Look at Florida.

In places like Miami you have less than civil behavior under normal conditions.

Can you imagine if there was some type of natural disaster or terrorist attack?

They would be eating each other in a matter of days.
It got ugly very fast following Hurricane Andrew. It did not take days.

Sadly, there was a significant amount of looting immediately following the tornado last month in Joplin, MO. This is not an area in which that kind of behavior from "hundreds" of looters would be expected. A conservative small city in the heart of the bible belt. Catastropy brings out the truse character in people. Sometimes it highlights the best of the best and sometimes the worst of the worst. Rarely to people "rise" to the occasion. I'd call the actions of those facing flooding in the Dakotas and Nebraska the exception to the rule in showing the best right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Sadly, there was a significant amount of looting immediately following the tornado last month in Joplin, MO. This is not an area in which that kind of behavior from "hundreds" of looters would be expected. A conservative small city in the heart of the bible belt. Catastropy brings out the truse character in people. Sometimes it highlights the best of the best and sometimes the worst of the worst. Rarely to people "rise" to the occasion. I'd call the actions of those facing flooding in the Dakotas and Nebraska the exception to the rule in showing the best right now.
There's something very strange about Joplin. It seems to be a conservative city, but check the crime rate over the years; it's twice the national average. I'd really appreciate comments from someone who's familiar with the city.

//www.city-data.com/city/Joplin-Missouri.html

Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Sadly, there was a significant amount of looting immediately following the tornado last month in Joplin, MO. This is not an area in which that kind of behavior from "hundreds" of looters would be expected.
Thanks for posting this. I agree that Florida attracts a lot of undesirables, but it's also the 4th most populous state with about 18.6 million and, in the winter, it has a denser population than New York. St. Louis, Detroit and Atlanta have significantly higher crimes than Miami. Every large state had its low class residents. BTW, the 2 deadliest riots of the 20th century were in Los Angeles.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default an old tale

I have a book called 'Alas Babylong' by Pat Frank. I have had it for years, don't know if it is still in print. Good read even though it was written about a nuclear war.

Going back to what I lived thorugh, hurricane Katrina, there were people who could not take charge of their lives. They waited for someone to tell them what to do.

If civilization failed completely, they would either sit and die, or join a pack and loot.

Since I and my family are dependent on medication, we would die if things fell apart completely.

It is a frightening thought.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,313 times
People were looting our high school with kids dying on the floor minutes after the enterprise, al tornado of 2007. We are a relatively affluent community with little crime. If a storm comes through and you must leave your home, chain down your hot water heater. People posing as workers pillaged hundreds after our storm. I graduated from university of alabama last year, and I can't even imagine the number of hoodlums on the streets there. I've completely avoided the city since the tornado.
Chaos definitely brings out the worst in crappy people, and the best in caring people. I've witnessed both first hand.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Since I and my family are dependent on medication, we would die if things fell apart completely.

It is a frightening thought.
Although my injuries have healed and I'm much better now, last year an accident resulted in multiple pelvic fractures and torn ligaments in my pubic bone. The hospital wasn't the greatest, but an experience like that makes one appreciate the facilities and services available to us.

I've already said I have no problem with people going off on their own or forming a self-sufficient community. I'm 60 and an "old hippie" at heart. I've read several articles about eco-villages that seem to work well. However, I'm probably too much of a misanthrope to join a group where I'm expected to get along with everyone. LOL

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
Default Maunder minimum

Heard today that some are predicting a Maunder minimum. If I remember my history, the last one occurred during the Little Ice Age. If it does get colder, will the northern part of the US be able to support the number of people currently living there? If we have a major change in climate, what about our food supplies.

Less food, more money spent on heating bills . . . . with our current leaders, will we be able to avoid an economic collapse?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
with our current leaders, will we be able to avoid an economic collapse?
No. Anyone who believes in living on credit cards (and that IS basically what's happening) will hit a brick wall in time. Just trying to raise the credit card limit can only work for so long. Question is, how soon will we hit the wall?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Heard today that some are predicting a Maunder minimum. If I remember my history, the last one occurred during the Little Ice Age. If it does get colder, will the northern part of the US be able to support the number of people currently living there? If we have a major change in climate, what about our food supplies.

Less food, more money spent on heating bills . . . . with our current leaders, will we be able to avoid an economic collapse?
A reoccurring minimum of solar flares has been affecting the earth for as long as people have been here; observable changes in the sun and solar radiation are documented. My brother insists that we have had three Little (or, even Lesser) Ice Ages since the Maunder Minimum-timed event, due to decreased solar activity. The Maunder Minimum was simply the most observed (and prior to Maunder and Eddy, some astronomers said that people were just less observant!).

In the event of a Little Ice Age there will be increased violence in land-weather activity. Out on the edges of the ocean, cool air and water can cause hurricanes NOT to form - but the increased winds blowing over cooler land locations will impact warmer regions with far more force. The changes in the jet stream right now - with drought and fires increasing in the southwest, flooding of the Missouri due to deeper snow packs in the Rockies, and increasingly violent storms from the Mississippi Valley to the East Coast as fierce lows slam into subtropical highs - are all impacting hundreds of thousands of people, and are a predictor of things to come. Outside of our own country - Russia and China have already had massive crop failures.

If we reach a 'tippng point', where crops fail and government aid is stretched like a rubber band until it snaps and fails - then you will see a lot of very uncomfortable things. If you think fuel is expensive now, wait until winter - when people need to heat their homes AND use fuel to get around AND need trucks carrying all of their supplies to come in twice weekly just to keep the shelves stocked. Would we be able to survive it? Of course we would - IF people would simply tighten their belts and start thinking about what they need, not what they want, and waiting it out. However, that is not the mindset of the current population. People are stressed and angry already... and with good reason.

1.8 million people in the US are currently unemployed - and that's only the ones that are still on the rolls as collecting unemployment. What about all of the college kids who haved moved home because they can't find jobs, or those who have lost their unemployment benefits? 61% of the US population is currently using some form of government benefits - food stamps, WIC, etc. If they have their EBT cards and WIC vouchers at the ready - but there is no food to buy with them - how fast do you think their civilized veneer, with their families at home barely hanging on by a thread, will shred? What if they've already been impacted by weather changes that have caused them to do without heating, or been burned/flooded out of their homes, and are still waiting for government rescue? What if they can't afford to heat their homes, and the flip of a light switch produces - nothing at all, due to weather impacts as well as a collapsing, overburdened electrical grid?

As you've said, CountrySue, it didn't take days for the violence after Katrina to strike... The worse the weather gets, the more stressed people become, the more likely they are to be forced to do without, will all add fuel to the fires underneath the already seething 'melting pot' of the country.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
During the Chicago fire mobs roaamed the streets looting and ravaging the city and its inhabitants. Many members of these mobs started additional fires in an apparent desire to increase the destruction. That was 140 years ago. Nothing today is unprecedented; there really is nothing new under the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness