Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
HW, I have that exact same model NAA mini convertable, for the same reasons. It's tuff to lay on your back fixing things with a Govt 45 on a belt.

In shtf any gun you can shoot well would be good. Which all depends on what game, and what SD your plans will cover.

I think of a hand gun more as the ticket to getting to one of my long guns, and so hand guns made for SD, are not my end all guns and are far from it. Where I live dictates the kinds of guns to hunt with. A short to mid range rifle in .30 cal makes sence. A long range rifle can work, but you really can't see more than distance measured in feet here.

A shot gun can about do it all, since shot shells can vary from small number 8 bird shot to slugs.

I could use a flintlock for all taking of game and save modern brass catridges for the 2 legged varmints. Somethings are plain timeless.

There would not be so many kinds of guns if each kind didn't have a chore to preform.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"There would not be so many kinds of guns if each kind didn't have a chore to preform."

Exactly. That is why I have so many screwdrivers and socket wrenches! (and guns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
The problem I have is 'use it' almost always has a human on the other end of the meaning, where as a gun can put meat on the table, and so far I haven't considered human meat an edible item ............ yet

Probably no one on here has ever gone hungery long term, and so have no idea what they are willing to do under that idea. I have, and while I didn't take life, steal, or do other things, I did learn a lot about what things i wouldn't have normally eatten, that I can now.

During that time hunting was a luxury as was any meats.

I do agree with if you have a fitting gun for SD, and that is what the gun is soley for, then yeah, Hell Yeah! be prepared to use it, or it may be used against you. After pulling a SD gun, there is no time to wonder about whether you can use it or not.

The only good thing there is the bad guy(s) share the idea that getting shot isn't going to work out well. But if there is a hint or glimmer you won't really use it, yer dead meat.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"After pulling a SD gun, there is no time to wonder about whether you can use it or not."

Absolutely.

When I got my concealed carry permit in MA (which is now becoming close to impossible), I had to take a 'personal protection' course. We had to role-play inside a building, sweeping the house and being ready to defend ourselves. I totally agree, there is no time to stand there and think 'geez, can I do this?'.
I do find it interesting that such a liberal state as MA taught me how to kill intruders in my house.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"After pulling a SD gun, there is no time to wonder about whether you can use it or not."

Absolutely.

When I got my concealed carry permit in MA (which is now becoming close to impossible), I had to take a 'personal protection' course. We had to role-play inside a building, sweeping the house and being ready to defend ourselves. I totally agree, there is no time to stand there and think 'geez, can I do this?'.
I do find it interesting that such a liberal state as MA taught me how to kill intruders in my house.

if you cleared a home in order to get your ccw, then you have more training than alot of cops do. if possible, maybe you should try looking for another place to live and work, like somewhere out of a gun hating state.

I hope to move to Montana or Idaho in the next couple of years.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
YES!! A rifle [whatever caliber you prefer], 2 handguns, and a shotgun. May be expensive BUT if you have prepped well enough and you need to defend you and your family it's well worth it. Remember the old saying, when seconds count the Police are moments away

IF the time comes and someone is trying to get to you and yours and your preps DO NOT hesitate. As John Wayne said in The Longest Day "Send em to Hell."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My choices have been: a few rifles (some for short distance, some for long), a few handguns (something tiny like a Micro DE .380, so you can carry it, and a 1911 clone, like a S&W 4506), a shotgun (shortened Mossberg 500, extended magazine and pistol grip, with bird shot). And for the ultimate home defense, an H&K SP89 (small, though only 9mm, but 10 rounds/second. I think aim is not that critical ).
All the bigger stuff is not for home defense (ever try setting up a Ma Deuce in your living room?)

Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
That wasn't just one gun store it was all I hit on as I can. Riley's in Hookset near both Concord and Manchester, Kittery Trading Post in Maine, which has a NH office to transfer, just all of them. There is a lot of mom and pop gun stores in NH too. I hit one up just yesterday, and have several others in a easy distance to check as I happen to pass by.

I was at Riley's standing waist deep in women just after 9-11. I was there looking for another bolt action deer rifle, because I just do that. After a lot of standing around to just get to the used rifle rack, I shouldered a Mark X Interarms in .308 and got lipstick on my hands and face somehow

I bought that gun too, but not for terrorist. That gun works ok for lefties, and is one reason I bought it. The other was it wasn't used much and the wood was as mint as the blue. The fact it wears a Fagen walnut stock sure didn't hurt any. The one thing that makes it no gun for SD is it has no iron sites, and must have a scope on it to use it. I added on Leupold scope mounts with great care, taking spare time of 3 days to get it right, with out the proper tools. With these bases you must have it right or they will crush and bend scopes. Once mounted right they are just about bomb proof. I added a Simmons Scope at the same time, one of their Aetch with illuminated cross hairs.

I bore sighted that by eye, and the first shot at a measured 150 yards was almost dead on. That was before any dials were turned, and the scope was at dead 0 and 0.

Almost all hunting here is in close, so to set up at 'Point Blank' for 150 yards will get game every time. I can't be over 1 inch high, and I can't shoot past 150 yards pretty much, so I can't hit low.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Try 'The Firing Line' in Manchester..... that have a LOT of goodies

Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you cleared a home in order to get your ccw, then you have more training than alot of cops do. if possible, maybe you should try looking for another place to live and work, like somewhere out of a gun hating state.

I hope to move to Montana or Idaho in the next couple of years.

I live in NH... and love it.... It has been many a year since I was in MA...
I got that ccw in 1990, and couldn't wait to get out of that state. I would never go back (and actually can't given the firearms I own).

Old 11-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
HW, If you ask me those Dudes did. Armor plate was givien up because a musket ball would go thru it most of the time. Anyone wearing that sorta got stapled to the plate. I have seen museum plates with a big dent though. A friend of mine made one taking a shot with a light charged musket and he wears it.

The good news is I can go out today and buy (as a civilian) Type IV bullet proof vests, that will stop a .30-06 AP round.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
an H&K SP89 (small, though only 9mm, but 10 rounds/second. I think aim is not that critical ).
There are NO SP89's that are select fire.

If you HAD an SP89 that installed with a registered autosear/hammer, trigger package, or registered lower you have an MP5K.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Yes, as others have said better to have it and not need to use it.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
There are NO SP89's that are select fire.

If you HAD an SP89 that installed with a registered autosear/hammer, trigger package, or registered lower you have an MP5K.

It started out as an SP89 (as stamped on the barrel). I had a registered autosear/hammer etc. installed. So yes, you can say it is an MP5K. (Actually, it may be more closely related to an MP5K-PDW, given the folding stock and threaded barrel). I will look into it more.
Wonderful in tight areas, and the ammo is dirt cheap, though it eats a lot if it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness