Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Always be sure to pack enough heat. Sounds like I'm a deranged killer...but I'm just a gentle grandpa.

Folks recommending .22's and .25's -- those are no good for anything but getting rid of a critter bothering your henhouse. Sorry, but that's all they're good for...that and plinking!

The poster who said you'd get more response if you asked about a 9mm vs a 45 or 357, was closer to the truth. The OP did state that the firearm(s) would be part of his disaster/survival kit. That suggests to me that he's thinking of human trouble bothering him, not critters out by the henhouse. For disaster/survival, you need something with stopping power, and a .22 or .25 doesn't have it. There are those of us who'd argue that a 9mm doesn't have it, either.

I'd recommend a .45 or 357 magnum for carry. Any less, and you might as well use pepper spray.

For those of you squeamish about actually shooting a human, think about the Tasers they have for the public. A couple of loads shot at someone bugging you or your family will totally incapacitate for 60 seconds -- plenty of time for you to make a clean getaway. An the "almost" criminal gets to live another day, to prey on someone else.
Stopping power = long gun
Pistols are weak and ineffective weapons in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
A Bull, or a Bull Moose?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Mac, I do quite a bit of big game hunting with my 454 casull.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
I disagree, to some extent. If you are going to bug out, you won't do it with a .50 caliber rifle! Carry something a bit lighter and more portable. You don't need to pack for bear if humans are your likely target.

That said, many humans are surprisingly hard to stop. A .22 or .25 has little chance of being effective. A 9mm is much better, but lacks the real punch of of a .45 or .357 Mag.

If you think pistols are "weak", don't get in the way of a .357 or .44!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM

Monk, not sure why you quoted MO Gal and then tawked at me, but that thing you are callin' a pistol only looks like one in a photograph if you ask me. Face to hand with one it looks more like a CANNON. So far I am happy I don't know anyone who owns one so I never had the chance to fire 1 rnd. I could live the rest of my life and not really miss that. However I sure would like to watch.

MO Gal was being in-general. I got a buddy who think his wife is well armed with some junker .25ACP pistol....... I am not sure of the brand, but I think it is a Sterling. Total junk, fit for being a paper weight only. I wish all bad guys had those.

The lowely .22 has more punch than .25ACP. Native Americans exempt from White Man's Laws have killed Moose with .22's, but bullet placement is critical.

I hope I never need that NAA mini of mine, but I am fairly sure that if I do and, if i do it will be shots at 0 inches and that mini will do the job.

As you guys know it's a back up to one of my .45's, and not my main SD weapon.

That .454 will do the job, but lugging it concealed has gotta be a hardship if you do. I used to carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk and 5 shots (no transfer bar) being single action, and the size of it, was just over my edge. There was a day where that hog leg nearly was un-holstered in an act of SD, but I was sure gratefull the bad guy backed down.

Nor' Easter, you probably know I used to hang out with some ruffnecks too. I watched one take a .44 mag in a bar in Daytona. He managed to get up and stagger out of the place. Later I found he went to a dogs and cats vet. But that same night he returned to the bar and stabbed the guy who shot him with a Bowie, sticking the guy to a slate pool table.

What bullets do can be really odd sometimes.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I disagree, to some extent. If you are going to bug out, you won't do it with a .50 caliber rifle! Carry something a bit lighter and more portable. You don't need to pack for bear if humans are your likely target.

That said, many humans are surprisingly hard to stop. A .22 or .25 has little chance of being effective. A 9mm is much better, but lacks the real punch of of a .45 or .357 Mag.

If you think pistols are "weak", don't get in the way of a .357 or .44!
You were speaking about humans as the predator from which one would be using the firearm for protection. In that arena handguns/pistols are relatively weak, especially in comparison to long guns. The survivability in emergency rooms of handgun/pistol related wounds is generally quite high when compared to a rifle or slug.

This thread was not about CCW but about what should be included in a disaster kit. The long gun is the most practical from that standpoint as it can be used for self-defense as well as hunting. I guess you could exaggerate with the .50cal for dramatic license but the .308 (bolt) would better fit the bill as the best all around purpose long gun. They come in lightweight short scout models.

An example: Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

You do realize that a tactical carbine of any caliber will store/transport in a relatively compact manner be it by taking the upper/lower apart or by use of a folding stock, right? http://www.03designgroup.com/reviews...t-carbine-case

Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Well, now that I have heard some of your opinions, Ill give you mine { assuming you want it lol }. I would definately have to say YES. My theory is, and call me a nut if you want, the way the world is today, it could all fall apart at any second. If you dont have a firearm, somone who does will just come along and take whatever you have. I feel bad for those in big cities who are restricted from owning them. How will they defend themselves and their families and belongings? I have a regular arsonel lol. Lets see, I have 4 .22 handguns, three .22 rifles, a 25.06 rifle, and a 20 gauge shotgun. Nobodies gett'in through my door without a fight. As another poster said on here, you may also need to hunt for your food if the world falls into jungle warfare { which isnt out of the realm of possibility } I cant really afford to shoot anything other than .22's, its just toon expensive.

But also as another poster said, you should only have one if you know how to use it becayse you will be in more danger with one and dont know how to use it than you would be if you didnt have one.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
An evil black rifle might come in handy too, in case there's a dozen of them and only one of you.

Quote:
Cops out looking for a bull? Really? Only time you will see that in my part of the country is if there has been cattle-rustling going on

A handgun for a bull?
Usually they will shoo away easily enough; or, if the owner has been mindful in training at feed time, they might follow your vehicle if you honk the horn in an ongoing manner.

Were this a survival situation you want to lure that bull back and butcher him. You'd rather him walk where you need him to get rather than carry him.
Yeah, I was kind of wondering what the cops were going to do if they found the bull. I suspect they were just obligated to show up because they got the call. In farm country, we used to grab a neighbor and try to herd it back to the barn or tempt it there with a bucket of feed. Some of them could be led, if they had a nose ring, but I know of a couple times when that turbed out badly. Just depends on the bull's mood. I've been chased by more than one, so I never trust a bull.

I didn't take the handgun for the bull though (didn't know he was loose when I left). I always take one in case a dog decides to attack me or a pack of coyotes wants my dog for lunch, or mama moose tries to stomp me for walking too close to her new baby. Usually, it's a bigger gun, but not when I'm going out to run.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
But also as another poster said, you should only have one if you know how to use it becayse you will be in more danger with one and dont know how to use it than you would be if you didnt have one.
Remember this Two is ONE, One is NONE. THAT is why I calkl for TWO hanguns [be it whatever caliber YOU prefer [me it's 9mm and 357 magnum]

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
Well, now that I have heard some of your opinions, Ill give you mine { assuming you want it lol }. I would definately have to say YES. My theory is, and call me a nut if you want, the way the world is today, it could all fall apart at any second. If you dont have a firearm, somone who does will just come along and take whatever you have. I feel bad for those in big cities who are restricted from owning them. How will they defend themselves and their families and belongings? I have a regular arsonel lol. Lets see, I have 4 .22 handguns, three .22 rifles, a 25.06 rifle, and a 20 gauge shotgun. Nobodies gett'in through my door without a fight. As another poster said on here, you may also need to hunt for your food if the world falls into jungle warfare { which isnt out of the realm of possibility } I cant really afford to shoot anything other than .22's, its just toon expensive.

That's a good start, but far from what I would consider a arsenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness