Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM

25,741 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
ChrisC, Remove or swing out the clyinder. I haven't seen a Judge face up so I don't know if it removes or swings out. Then look real hard at the top strap, where the gap is in front of where the cyly would be installed, and behind the forcing cone.

See if there is a notch there, which isn't a notch, but is a gas check. A gas check is metal missing from the hot gasses. This is used to j'judge' the amount of use a wheel gun has suffered.

So it can be nothing at all to a fairly deep cut. This in no way weakens the gun really, but is a indication of use. The gas will cut only so far and stop.

I will be very interested in any reviews you write.
No notching at all. Looks like the guy shot it very little. Same with the .32 . They both look practically new. Yeah, I'm getting the itch to go try 'em both out--maybe tomorrow if I get time. If not next weekend, weather permitting.

Looks like I have two nearly new firearms to add to my "disaster/survival kit"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Should a Firearm be apart of my disaster/survival kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, I ended up getting that Taurus Judge (3 inch barrel) on a trade along with quite a lot of .45 Colt and "self defense" 410 ammo (loaded with 3 small disks and some shot behind that). We'll see how The Judge does when I get a chance to shoot it. Sure looks intimidating from the business end, though!

I also got a .32 Magnum revolver in that trade. Interesting little handgun: light, very small for a revolver (obviously aimed at concealed carry), 5 shot, 2 inch barrel. I've read that .32 H&R Magnum measures up pretty well as far as performance. Looking forward to trying this one too... Looks like it should be a fun little pistol to shoot.

BTW: although I did grow up with guns and hunting A LOT (my dad was a hunting fanatic), I haven't really been all that "into" them over the years (off and on a bit, and I have always been interested in historic weapons)... until recently. See what all of you guys' gun talk does?
Chris,
I'm interested in seeing what you think of the Judge after you shoot it. I have had one for a little over a year. And like my 410 Contender, the rifling's in the barrel spread the shot out very quickly. Up close (10 yards) the 410 would be deadly, farther away I don't have much faith in it. The 45 Colt ammo seems to work fine, but I have two other 45 Colt revolvers I like better than the Taurus. I'm not a Taurus hater, but I have only 5 revolvers made by that company. While 1911's are my favorite style of handgun, I would never buy a 1911 Taurus, regardless of the price.

I noticed someone posted a photo of a NAA Revolver, and said that was a gun they could always have on their person. That may be, and while a 22 Magnum can be deadly, I would hesitate shooting at anything that could shoot back with that particular revolver. That gun has to be taken apart to unload and reload, and it holds only five 22 mag cartridges, once you shoot five times you are out of action and a sitting duck. I would use it only as a last resort at a target no more than 5 feet away. I have a 380 Kel Tec, and feel pretty much the same way about it. The human body doesn't react in real life like it does on TV. Sometimes a well placed 45 slug is not going to stop all people immediately, they may still live long enough to kill you. It is best to use a rifle if you get in a gun fight, but you have to use what you have available. What ever you do, make sure a 25 automatic is not available.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM

25,741 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Chris,
I'm interested in seeing what you think of the Judge after you shoot it. I have had one for a little over a year. And like my 410 Contender, the rifling's in the barrel spread the shot out very quickly. Up close (10 yards) the 410 would be deadly, farther away I don't have much faith in it. The 45 Colt ammo seems to work fine, but I have two other 45 Colt revolvers I like better than the Taurus. I'm not a Taurus hater, but I have only 5 revolvers made by that company. While 1911's are my favorite style of handgun, I would never buy a 1911 Taurus, regardless of the price.
I'll post a follow-up on it after firing it a bit with the different types of ammo.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Nite Ryder, I didn't post the pic, but own that very model. It sure does have draw backs, but I carry one all the time, like right now. I also carry either a .45 Remington Rand or a Kimber CDP pro II.

The way I plan to use the mini if I ever must is to stick it right into a bad guys eye socket and then unload it. Or maybe his guts..... That will be plenty ugly, and if I end up cut real bad, I just will be cut real bad. The mini is a last ditch weapon at it's best.

What makes it good is the size. I can lay under a dump truck and get work done, I can cut cord wood, and since I made the leather holster by hand my self it keeps the gun saw chips free.

I can slave in the garden, hop up on a Bob Cat, all right in my yard and be armed all the time.

I can't do all that wearing a .45 very well.

The holster was designed for deep cover, and so has a loop to match my most commonly worn belt. Then the holster dangles next to the family jewels

I don't wear it that way at home working, and then it's in my right ft jeans pocket.

This holster could also be suspended up right or upside down on a lanyard and worn around my neck.

I don't shoot this gun at paper even, I shot 10 shots, cleaned it, and continue to clean it with out ever shooting it since. I swap out ammo once each 14 days.

As that ammo goes around I test fire one mag in my Ruger Single Six, and so far not one miss fire has occured yet.

This is just a part of staying alive in the 21st century, and I don't like any other options.

The mini is a back up weapon at the very best.

Recently Ruger has come out with a compact .380 which has a rubberized ft pocket holster. If I can swing a deal on a used one sometime I might go with that. Or add it to what I have.

My main use of guns is hunting, then target, then quality time with friends and family. SD is not something I enjoy. I spend a lot of time tawkin' on it, in hopes of arming every manjack and his SO in this country.

As I see it life after SHTF will be somewhat lonely with out others, if I survive. My chrystall ball fell off the table again, so I can't say when SHTF will happen next...

Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Remember too that all the guns & ammo that you plan to bring with you have weight. So you might want to see how heavy they are before you wind up with more than you can carry. For a bugout bag I'd recommend an AR7 & a .45.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
I used to hear good things about .32 mag, haven't heard anything in recent years. I think the new .327 is roughly equal.

I saw a Judge or 2. Never fired one.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
In a word yes, and learn how to clean and use it.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Remember too that all the guns & ammo that you plan to bring with you have weight. So you might want to see how heavy they are before you wind up with more than you can carry. For a bugout bag I'd recommend an AR7 & a .45.
Good thought, but "ah ain movin". I have reached my 'bugout place'. If others - like my adult kids and a few handpicked friends - want to bug out to HERE, they are welcome... Anyone else is liable to see the business end of my weaponry long before they ever get a chance to heft it.

I never did get that whole "bugout" thing anyway. Quite a few people say, "I'll just go to (grandpa's farm, a national park, the cabin by the lake) and hide out. I'll hunt and fish and live in a tent if I haveta."
That doesn't last long, and a lot of 'weekend warriors' have never tried to butcher a fresh-killed deer in a driving blizzard, while a wolfpack, mountain lion, or bear downwind 3 miles away lifts his head and says to himself, "DINNER!" They'll get scurvy if they don't have vegetables and fruits, they'll get sick if they try to eat wild things that they don't recognize, and they'll get shot if they get hungry enough or desperate enough to hole up in someone's barn or steal their chickens, eggs, or cattle. If their 'bugout place" isn't set up for long term survivability - everything from seeds and ammo to reproducing animals, a garden, storage capabilities, and a sound security setup to protect against the thousands who will have the same idea - they're in a word screwed.

Not to mention that, in a real SHTF situation, there won't be chock-full gas stations lining the roads, waiting for their debit or credit card purchase, or even their cash or gold. There may be checkpoints where LE turns them back. There may be hordes blocking their way, or teeming in the cities or towns they have to drive through, attacking every vehicle that tries to charge through. If you say, "I don't have to drive on roads!" - remember that people own the property you plan to escape over, and if it is really a SHTF situation, they will shoot you for trying, or even because you might have something that they need. Getting only half-way to your bug-out place would be far worse than actually getting there and trying to survive.

Nope, I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. Win lose or draw, this is it. My last stand.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Skiinin' not guttin' a cold deer is just hand freezin misery. I have done that far too many times. I just hate doing that job. Then as the rest of the meet freezes up your hands get even colder butchering.

This takes me a fair amount of time since I harvest things no one else does anymore. I am hard up after the sinew first then the meat. A deer is just a walking tool kit as I see it. There sure isn't a bit wasted, while just a little does feed other wild life, but not much.

I even make use of organs like the intestins and stomach, but saying just what won't be very welcomed here.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Practice regularly and keep a supply of ammunition for each firearm. I would start with a minimum of 100 rounds each and work up to however much you can afford.

To the squeamish, this does not mean getting ready for a war in your yard. I remember going to a store after 911 that had sold out on 9-12. Some other stores took ammo off the shelves. Those things could happen again. Be prepared BEFORE the crisis hits. In times of civil unrest, sales may be restricted again, supplies will be short and prices likely high.

In an extended period of hard times, ammunition could be used to barter for foodstuffs, tools or fuel.

Another reason to stick to common calibers like .38, .45, etc or 12 & 20 gauge shotguns. Odd calibers are already expensive & harder to find. They may be totally unavailable during emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness