Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

LDG, That gardening thing is exactly one of the things I do that burns off calories hard, but I do anyway sitting still. The garden is 58' by 90' and then there is another patch apx 35' x 18', I just round it all off and call it 60 x 100. Last year in Fall I came by a not running pony tiller, for a good trade, and for me making it run was cake. There is still some of everything, which most of will last till next harvest, this coming.

I still eat red meats fowel and fish, but these days I seem to get a bit more fish. With in the last year something about red meats isn't working well for me either, and I don't really understand that. perhaps this comes with aging, as I will be 60 in Nov coming. Perhaps it's just me.

The fish thing is ok, but it's getting expensive to buy in a store, and I don't live quite close enough to the sea to get salt water fish. I can get good wild brook trout on a whim though, and had lake salmon just the other night.

I have no issue killing game either. I see that as a natural event in life and see fur as a real recycleable resource.. I was raised by a hunter, and I know what kills game in the wild.

So far you are the first veggiehead that hasn't seemingly got uppity issues as well, so I feel more comfortable chatting you.

One thing I do that will upset just about anyone is sit right down and eat a pound of peanut M&M's Doing that if anyone is around, just drives them wild. The M&M's are burned off in short order too... My wife has been trying to fatten me up, I suppose to stuff me and send me to the oven, but so far she has failed. I can live ok with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
I go to beprepared.com, AKA Emergency Essentials, for my food storage needs; they have dehydrated and freeze-dried foods that can last 5-25 years. I also use Pleasant Hill Grain because they are local and have fast delivery. Both adhere to strict Mormon food storage requirements, both are easy to deal with. Emergency Essentials also has things like emergency medical supplies, travel preparedness supplies, baking supplies, water storage and filter equipment, and other things for the long-term and short-term planning. (you can find the beans, etc at Pleasant Hill grain if you go all the way down to the bottom of the page past the survival paks.)

Mac_Muz, I thought that red meat was giving me fits too.. until I started eating the grass-fed beef out here. Seems that it is the fatten-em-up feedlot and the production of the store-boughten beef that was bugging me. Now I eat nothing but locally grown grass-fed, and I crave it like sunshine!

Last edited by SCGranny; 05-12-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I go to beprepared.com, AKA Emergency Essentials, for my food storage needs; they have dehydrated and freeze-dried foods that can last 5-25 years. I also use Pleasant Hill Grain because they are local and have fast delivery. Both adhere to strict Mormon food storage requirements, both are easy to deal with. Emergency Essentials also has things like emergency medical supplies, travel preparedness supplies, baking supplies, water storage and filter equipment, and other things for the long-term and short-term planning. (you can find the beans, etc at Pleasant Hill grain if you go all the way down to the bottom of the page past the survival paks.)

Mac_Muz, I thought that red meat was giving me fits too.. until I started eating the grass-fed beef out here. Seems that it is the fatten-em-up feedlot and the production of the store-boughten beef that was bugging me. Now I eat nothing but locally grown grass-fed, and I crave it like sunshine!
Looks like I might might need to buy a beef cow. No stores say what the critters eat. I bet I am eatting drugs made for the ladies, and not made for real knuckel draggers Err well the last knuckel dragger.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Umm, we are finishing off the cow we bought last year; we had rib steaks last night. Real cow is good! - the meat is sweet and tender, no artificial nothin'. We bought from a friend who raises and sells his cows locally. Even at 92 cents a pound for butchered beef, he makes a profit! There's no middle man unless you count the butcher. They call them processors around here - they do everything from local cows and pigs to deer, and take them live or dead, process them, and sell you anything you want from them. Last year I got a pig from a friend too, and they gave me all the fatback because I asked for it, and I rendered it down into lard. Over Christmas my DH had a problem, and because of his size (large upper body) and age, they decided he needed a stint for his arteries. Took him in, and ran the scope, and - surprise! No he didn't. They were CLEAR. The doc couldn't understand it; he said, "You eat butter and lard and beef and ham and bacon, and you don't have clogged arteries? That's impossible!" He is living proof that the mainstream fantasy of 'what our grandparents ate killed them' is wrong. (It turned out that DH's meds were causing the problem he had.)

Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
A food topic should stay at the top of this forum if not pinned since it's the first survival item. As well as water. Anyway I tried some dehydrated food that came in pouches (efoodsdirect) and tried some of them and they're satisfactory - I can atleast finish the bowl until I'm full. But I have to say, I wouldn't want to eat this stuff day after day, I know its not very healthy and should only be a percentage of a family's storable food supply.

The good thing is it's lightweight unlike canned food and it has variety so I think its good to keep canned and dry foods (lentils, beans, rice, flour) at home, and maybe something like dehydrated food in a trunk or dip-out bag just because its lightweight and u can fit more of it.

I can also recommend, make sure u cook dehydrated food completely, fully boil it or it comes out bad and could even make u sick. Dehyrdated food is definitely more expensive than regular stocked cans. I also personally don't think a 10 year shelf-life is necessary. If SHTF it will happend within a couple years and disasters are starting to become to norm these days. I think the shelf life companies try to give these foods takes away from the quality of the food or how healthy it is.

From now on I'm gonna focus on stocking regular canned food from the grocery store or packs dry food from a warehouse and also buy some hunting equipment to begin training. I'm vegetarian but I'll gladly hunt down an animal if I'm hungry.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm vegetarian. I'm not talking about canned food, like u buy from the grocery store, but ones that come packed in boxes as meals. I visited one brand efoodsdirect which is a site that ships their food. Does anyone know any other brands?
Two other brands that you can add to your list that are not mentioned quite as often as some of the other bigger manufacturers like Mountain House, are:

Wise - Wise storage meals and buckets

Thrive, by Shelf Reliance - Shelf Reliance kits

Both have 'kits' you can order. The Wise has a 1 month supply, and thrive I think only has a 3 month supply as their smallest kit. Might want to verify that.

Costco sells the Thrive stuff on their website. I'm not sure if they carry it at the local store, I've never seen it at the one I went to. Might get a better price through Costco than by ordering direct, because that's generally how it works.

I like Emergency Essentials though.

If you are a vegetarian, you might want to check out Harmony House Foods. It seems to be one of the smaller companies, but I think it's kind of a hidden gem. They seem to have a wider variety of dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables and fruits (especially fruits) than the bigger companies which tend to focus their stock only on the more popular vegetables (and scarcely carry many fruits at all). Seems like the kind of thing a vegetarian might find useful. A little pricey, though.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 09-04-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Two other brands that you can add to your list that are not mentioned quite as often as some of the other bigger manufacturers like Mountain House, are:

Wise - Wise storage meals and buckets

Thrive, by Shelf Reliance - Shelf Reliance kits
Thanks for mentioning this -- I hadn't heard of either company before. Shelf Reliance's 3-month basic dehydrated food kit (http://www.shelfreliance.com/basic-3-month-dehydrated-food-supply.html - broken link) is 99% vegetarian, from what I can see.

And Wise says that its line of emergency foods is also "vegetarian based."

For those of us who don't eat meat, it's good to know there are choices available!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Are we talking something that is easily transportable like for bugging out or something thats easy to keep at home?? Cause I just dug up some easy storing baby reds and yukon golds.... Beats paying 3.35 per 5 lbs at the store. Potatoes store easy for a long time and are conveniant to prepare in many ways......

Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,921 times
Beef jerky for sure, but the OP is vegetarian...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
It can get real boring real quick, but an ample supply of beans, squash, corn and rice should do the trick. For convenience meals you could use canned beans and corn, and even Minute Rice.

One of my favorite "quick vegetarian" meals is a can or two of pinto beans mixed with cooked long-grain white rice.

For fat and oils, something else you may wish to consider is learning how to make a good roux -- an approximate 50/50 mix of a good oil and flour, cooked carefully so that it becomes a nice shade of brown. I use either high-quality peanut oil, or sometimes I melt some unsalted butter.

Dumping mixed raw fresh vegetables such as onions, celery, carrots, bell peppers, etc into a hot, freshly-prepared roux, letting them simmer a bit (which also cools down the roux and keeps it from burning), then thinning the mix with vegetable stock, makes a great beginning for gumbo. I never made vegetarian gumbo, but I'm sure it can be very tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness