Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,600,239 times

Advertisements

I'm vegetarian. I'm not talking about canned food, like u buy from the grocery store, but ones that come packed in boxes as meals. I visited one brand efoodsdirect which is a site that ships their food. Does anyone know any other brands? I'd like to order a month supply. One that doesn't taste bad or leave u feeling hungry or isn't hard to prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,793,694 times
Have to admit I've not looked into vegetarian long term food storage. You may have to look at the more expensive route of individual MRE's as a case-lot will be mixed and have very few which are actually vegetarian.

Vegetarian MREs For Sale | Buy Vegetarian MREs | Cheap Vegetarian MREs

Dehydrated meals or 10# cans is another way to go though not necessarily the ease with which you seem to be seeking. They would require normal-extended cooking for rehydration.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,526,834 times
I just ordered a case of these salmon based meals. They get excellent reviews and should have a shelf life of three years or more. St. Dalfour has several vegetarian meals that get great reviews as well. I certainly intend to try them. Let's not forget; the French do whip up the best food. Even their military meals are the best, but I can't find a reasonably priced supply in this country.

Before you buy a supply, order some to see if you like it. Most survival foods taste terrible. That also applies to the ready to eat slop from India. I bought Kitchens of India products from Amazon. I tossed most of it. Never buy a big package deal on food without trying every item.

Most of my supply consists of canned goods that I know I'll use. I do have some Mountain House individual meals. Some are quite tasty. I've found that the vegetarian meals are the best; the meat in the meat dishes just doesn't rehydrate satisfactorily.

St. Dalfour Gourmet On The Go, Ready to Eat Wild Alaskan Salmon, 6.2-Ounce Tins (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-11-2011 at 05:29 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,089,123 times
I'm also a vegetaria (no meat or fish or anything made from dead things). Emergency Essentials has a number of vegetarian options in both freeze dried and dehydrated. They also have TVP. They are reliable.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,486,234 times
As a vegetarian you probably already know the challenges of ensuring that one's diet contains "complete" proteins, as well as reasonable quantities of fat.

If you're REALLY talking about long-term storage, your best bet will be large quantities of dry peas, beans, rice, etc. Of course, this will require a rather hefty supply of water and fuel. It will also require, generally, a regular source of dietary fats. Deprive the human body of fat, as I'm sure you know, and all kinds of issues and problems ensue.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (who is married to a near-vegetarian)

Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,877,644 times
Plants aren't dead things when you eat them? I have cut down on red meats since they are getting expensive, but I must have them to be me. I bust tail in a physical sence, and need the power of a bull. My body burns off food in a few heart beats, and with out food over a time I get very tired.

If this food is for shtf you may have needs to find real high protiens fast. Maybe dried fruits will supply some of that with sugars well, as shtf is sure to be strenuous.

As a modern day hiker, I am aware of 'Mountain House' brand foods and they make a good trail mix for the very active. Basicly I am out of my league on this topic.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Plants aren't dead things when you eat them? I have cut down on red meats since they are getting expensive, but I must have them to be me. I bust tail in a physical sence, and need the power of a bull. My body burns off food in a few heart beats, and with out food over a time I get very tired.

If this food is for shtf you may have needs to find real high protiens fast. Maybe dried fruits will supply some of that with sugars well, as shtf is sure to be strenuous.

As a modern day hiker, I am aware of 'Mountain House' brand foods and they make a good trail mix for the very active. Basicly I am out of my league on this topic.
"Strong like bull........."

I'll pm you if you dont know the rest. didnt want to offend you in public with me Joke.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times
Here is one I found while checking out the Costco web site a while back.

Vegetarian Emergency food supply. Just gonna need Emergency water as well.

Costco - Food For Health=

Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,877,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
"Strong like bull........."

I'll pm you if you dont know the rest. didnt want to offend you in public with me Joke.
LOL, But you would not have offended me. First off I know yer mind, 2ndly I am one of the last knuckel draggers on the planet.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,089,123 times
Good replies and you are correct. I worked as a professional dancer (requiring alot of strength and endurance,ballet trained also) and now, retired, work very hard in my yard. I don't have to take any special vitamins except for flax seed oil but for sure, in the winter, I CRAVE oils and have to eat alot of crisco fried potatoes! Indian food is good for we vegetarians because it is mostly lentils and beans with various spices to make for good variety. Always have a substantial stash of beans on hand, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness