Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,263,365 times

Advertisements

For the record:

Baked armadillo

Chopped meat from 1 large armadillo
1 stick of butter (melted)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbls chopped garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix together. Bake in covered dish in 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and brown (about 10 minutes more). Good with rice or noodles.

Now for the other thoughts. Has anyone stopped to think about the government using the court system to create laws to redistribute food supplies. Courts have ordered schools built, and taxes raised to support schools. They have ordered communities to allow Section 8 apartment complexes built. What is to stop the government (Federal, state, or local) from using the courts to demand that people who have arable soil produce taxes in the form of food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
For the record:

Baked armadillo

Chopped meat from 1 large armadillo
1 stick of butter (melted)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbls chopped garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Armadillos supposedly have a lot of nasty diseases. I'm not even sure I would trust baking them to kill some of the things that have been associated with them. Survival food, perhaps. Everyday food?

Don't know if I'd be sold on that, given what I've read about them being disease infested, nasty creatures. Though they are cute little devils, and not all that shy about people... which makes for good nature watching.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,693,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Armadillos supposedly have a lot of nasty diseases. I'm not even sure I would trust baking them to kill some of the things that have been associated with them. Survival food, perhaps. Everyday food?

Don't know if I'd be sold on that, given what I've read about them being disease infested, nasty creatures. Though they are cute little devils, and not all that shy about people... which makes for good nature watching.
https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/faq.html#05
Yes. In many areas of Central and South America, armadillo meat is often used as part of an average diet. I have heard that some peoples of South America keep small varieties of armadillos as edible housepets. During the Depression, armadillos were often eaten by hungry people. They were called “Hoover hogs” by people angry with then-President Herbert Hoover’s broken promise of a chicken in every pot. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,517,318 times
The one good thing about Armadillos is that they are usually so damn slow and deliberate. They can be somewhat swift when they want to be (they can be particularly elusive when in their element in dense brush, and palmetto wetlands, but catch them out in the open, and they are kind of like sitting ducks with their short legs), but they are quite the opposite of deer who have very reactive reflexes and usually flee upon hearing somebody approaching. The Armadillos kind of just stand there mulling about when they see a person (perhaps dazed and not sure what to do). And then once they decide to scurry off... they don't seem to be all that quick about it. Would make plugging a few for dinner and future storage like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,663,588 times
OK, I can't he'p mahself, I have to tell this one.
One of our good friends was an NR officer; a big-ol' blond-headed, broadchested, tough kinda guy. He lived on an island surrounded by gators, and liked it just fine. Until this danged armadillo moved onto his island. Now, 20 years ago, armadillos were pretty much unknown in SC; you'd see 'em ten toes up on roads in FL and TX but never where we were. So they were an unknown quantity.
So this NR guy has a wife who loved to plant flower gardens. Well, of course the armadillo was digging up all of her flower gardens. So she told him to "do something about it". The dawgs would go out and dance on the armadillo, but she'd just roll up in a ball. Pretty harmless, right? Stupid armadillo. So one mornin early, he goes out and spies this armadillo digging up his wife's flowers - again. He realized he had never seen one up close. He walks over to the shed, grabs a shovel, and decides to dig under that dillo to hoist it out of her garden. So he does just that.

Suddenly he realizes that what he has in both his hands is a very short shovel with a very pissed off armadillo in it- staring straight at him. Right then he also notices that she has these greeeaaat big long claws, like grizzly claws, on the ends of those paws. As she runs UP the shovel handle, straight for his face, he "screams like a girl" (his words) - and she doesn't stop. She runs up his chest and dances on the top of his head, then leaps off down his back. All the while he is screaming like he is naked and on fire... the armadillo runs into the woods, and he runs into the house, still screaming, where his wife in her robe is standing there, openmouthed, with a cup of hot coffee in her hand... He still swears he has no idea what an armadillo looks like, up close - except that it has claws.

True story. And if he hadn't told it to me himself, I never would have believed it...

Seriously, I guess if I were forced to eat one, I would. But I would rather not.. their dens always smell like rotting crabs, and yes they do carry leprosy, which on top of my other health problems I could do without. But... I've eaten squirrel and possum and crawdads, and blue crabs cooked with their innards, so if push came to shove I might eat them. But I far prefer Rocky Mountain Oysters...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,903,962 times
Great tail. Reminds me of me and my monster tumbleweed. I didn't know what that was either, all I saw was something tan, and it bit me thru biker leather chaps and my jeans. It was going faster than I was, 65MPH. I used like words 'screamed like a little girl'

My Bride was hysterical, as she knew what it was, but couldn't say since I lit out like that naked man on fire. Who cares what the speed limit is after you just got caught by a tan monster in NM doing 65 MPH right? That thing made me leak red stuff too!

Sorry but that last 'food item' gives me the creeps.... Ain't no way No How.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 752,326 times
MOgal - You might want to Google edible landscaping and see what will grow best in your area. Also get a book on identifying wild foods that is applicable to your area. They can give you better ideas on what is going to thrive in your garden versus mine. If you are still in MO we are in totally different zones, and you have many more native species to choose from that simply wouldn't grow here.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,836,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
MOgal - You might want to Google edible landscaping and see what will grow best in your area. Also get a book on identifying wild foods that is applicable to your area. They can give you better ideas on what is going to thrive in your garden versus mine. If you are still in MO we are in totally different zones, and you have many more native species to choose from that simply wouldn't grow here.
Jerusalem artichoke appears to be tolerant from zones 3-9 so that covers me for that one. I plant for zone 4 even though I am at the Northern edge of zone 5 because some of our winters get very harsh.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,903,962 times
Jerusalem artichokes live well in central Mass, and probably in southern NH, so these should be fine in your area. The largest patch I know in now Corp of Army Engineers land, and was probably once a smalll community in the 1800's dying off in the early 1900's, and the plants have gone wild. Both sides of a river there are just covered in these plants. They like water and lots of sun.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,263,365 times
Default We won, I think

Okay, we get to continue to use incandescent light bulbs (by a vote of 233 to 193). What a victory!! The government is taking our liberty away in tiny increments. They order us to buy new HDTV sets because they decided to do away with analog; they tell us to use only 1.6 gallons of water to flush our toilets; they tell us to accept 10% ethanol in our gas; they grope us at airports to protect us; and God forbid that we should use freon.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I don't think the government would hesitate to order people with arable land to plant it in government approved crops, or to confiscate crops for the 'public good'.

Looking back over my 62 years, I can see where, little by little, the government became more and more intrusive. It was always done to protect someone, such as the poor, widows, little children. We were told that we were abusive, racists, bigots, homophobes, etc to object. When we stood up on our hind legs and fought back, the government backed down, temporarily.

And, of course, the government decides what constitutes an emergency.

Oh, well, like the fool I am, I will continue to speak up and use my vote to fight back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness