Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times

Advertisements

ChrisC me too my grandparents suffered the Depression, My mother 1 of 3 girls did too. I will be 60 in Nov. Are you close to my age? My grandfather was considered weathy back then, knocin down better than $33,000.00 a year. He had spare tires for his car that rotted, as I heard it.

He did a lot of driving to way up in Down East Maine, as pres of the Great Northern Paper Co. Where my Mac comes from. That was well before anything like the interstate existed, and it could be a 3 days ride from just north of Bostin where he has another office.

I can still remember steam locomotive trains from then (mid 50's). My gramps was the very first in the town to have a car back then too. That was pre drivers lic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
My gramps was the very first in the town to have a car back then too. That was pre drivers lic.....
Do you happen to recall when the law was changed to REQUIRE licenses to "drive" private automobiles?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Of course the people in Nawlins didn't leave. They weren't told to - early enough, forcefully enough, and accomodations were made for those who decided to stay, so why should they?

The EmerMan folks told the elected officials for YEARS that the levees needed to be fixed and upgraded; instead they spent their money on pretty parks, buildings, and statues downtown.

Remember the school buses that were flooded and floating downtown? EmerMan had a procedure in place to utilize those buses for transport. The mayor denied their use until it was too late.

The hospitals should have been shut down and evacuated, the Saints' stadium should never have been opened, as it gave people a false sense of security. EmerMan had a plan in place for this, in co-ordination with other inland EmerMan facilities and directors - in enough time to get folks out. Everyone should have been told, on TV, on the radio, even by cops and firefighters driving thru the streets on their loudspeakers, to either get out or expect NOTHING, not even rescue. There are ways to make people realize their own mortality - even if it is handing out Sharpie markers and telling them to write their Social Security numbers on their arms, so that their bodies could be identified afterwards.

EmerMan KNEW all of this; they kept insisting that the plans be implemented, the elected officials refused to do it - until it was too late. They gambled and they lost - and so did thousands of people who believed that nothing could ever happen to them. Everyone saw how law enforcement behaved - were allowed to behave - by the elected officials who governed them, employed them, and who were responsible for them and their behaviors. True leadership comes from recognizing the problems and addressing them before they become disasters. The leaders in Nawlins were not leaders - they were politicians, playing the odds, smiling and shaking everyones' hands - right up until the winds picked up. Alfred E. Neuman would have felt right at home.

I had friends there who were smart enough to watch the hurricane maps and forecasts, and saw the progression across the gulf. They got out three days ahead of time, under their own power, because they knew that their elected officials were sitting on their hands. So while, yes, the people expected the Federal government to save and protect them, their local leadership did nothing to change that attitude - in fact, by their inaction leading up to Katrina and during it, they encouraged it. It may have been the peoples' fault - but it was their elected representatives' responsibility.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
... the people expected the Federal government to save and protect them, their local leadership did nothing to change that attitude - in fact, by their inaction leading up to Katrina and during it, they encouraged it. It may have been the peoples' fault - but it was their elected representatives' responsibility.
Actually, there is no such law nor obligation. The government is under no obligation to protect the people in general. Nor can you sue the government (or police ) for failure to protect - except when you are in their custody.

You may have been endowed with the right to life, but the government is not there to guarantee that right. It's your responsibility - unless you've surrendered that responsibility.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Do you happen to recall when the law was changed to REQUIRE licenses to "drive" private automobiles?
No Jet, I don't know. There is a family story about my Gramps sister.

At this time, as she was younger, getting a lis for one reason or another became a thing to do, and I am not sure if it was for real or something to sort of do as a proof, but maybe not required.

The test was you showed up in a car, and drove it to the DMV, or what ever served for a DMV. The family tale tells that she had never driven at all and proceeded to drive right thru the garage wall, ending up on the back yard. So far as I know that was her first and last try at driving a car.

I was a wee lad when she passed but she was said to be 110 years old then. I knew her as a tiny blue hair female and she smelled funny LOL

Also she was deafer than a box of rocks, which at the time didn't make me any fonder of her. I was pretty scared any human could look that way. I was around 5. I might take a wild guess and say something like 1919.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:39 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Linked article discusses FEMA doing farm food inventory assessments during Hurricane Katrina.

FEMA to confiscate food from local farms in emergencies?
There is also no small amount of information available regarding FEMA's authority to deal with issues of "hoarding" available online.

Conclusions with regard to hoarding are a bit confusing but it requires little if any stretch of the imagination to conclude anything over a 30 day supply of food could be considered hoarding and as such subject to confiscation and redistribution by federal authorities.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
The hoarding issue is interesting in many ways. Isn't it required for Mormons to have a year's supply of food? If this is so and it is a religious belief, then how can the government interfere with that? Another question is the right to be secure in your home from unlawful searches and seizures. If there is no probable cause for the search, then how can it occur? Does national emergency override and make all such constitutional right invalid?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
There is also no small amount of information available regarding FEMA's authority to deal with issues of "hoarding" available online.

Conclusions with regard to hoarding are a bit confusing but it requires little if any stretch of the imagination to conclude anything over a 30 day supply of food could be considered hoarding and as such subject to confiscation and redistribution by federal authorities.
Not at my house! I might sell to FEMA anything I grew, but they would not be taking it, with out a good supply of body bags.
If I sell it's at my price, and my price solely. And only if I think what amounts I grew are to be spared.

30 days is a trifle of what I grow, since my goal is to harvest and eat that til next harvest. I am currently doing so.

Once I harvest anything ready the old stock get turned into compost, and I will fight for my right to compost too. It's ok if FEMA wants to be a part of my compost I guess.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Does national emergency override and make all such constitutional right invalid?
Senate Report 93-549
War and Emergency Powers Acts
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (as of the report 1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
What do you think, now?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM

99 posts, read 531,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I might sell to FEMA anything I grew, but they would not be taking it,
I wonder what would happen if someone said, "no thanks its not for sale..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness