Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I know many are vets but many of those "vets" were discharged under less than honorable conditions.

If you knew anything about the Job, you would know that most contractors are working for the US Government in one form or fashion, and that there are background and Security clearance requirements.

Someone without an Honorable Discharge would find themselves totally blocked out of the career-field.

Got anymore factually incorrect blather to spout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If you knew anything about the Job, you would know that most contractors are working for the US Government in one form or fashion, and that there are background and Security clearance requirements.

Someone without an Honorable Discharge would find themselves totally blocked out of the career-field.

Got anymore factually incorrect blather to spout?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

Someone without an Honorable Discharge would find themselves totally blocked out of the career-field..........
Exactly. Thank you.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This is just silly.

I don't assume I know. Unless you've been in live fire combat you will never know what motivates killing.

As to alter net.....you don't like my source then offer one better if you can.
I don't have a source to link for you. However I have known a number of contractors. I don't consider them mercenaries, not even close. A number of them work for the military in the civilian status after an honorable military career. Others work or have worked for unnamed companies such as the one you have cited in your OP and they too honorably served in our military. Again, in no way do I consider them mercenaries. They are among the most patriotic individuals I have ever known and the most outspoken about their continued commitment to their oath to uphold our US Constitution. YMMV

Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM

43 posts, read 53,814 times
State governors have the authority to activate their state's National Guard to provide policing and rescue services during times of natural disasters or whenever the emergency is too big for local law enforcement and other emergency serices to handle. These National Guard troops wear the same kind of uniforms as the full-time DOD military personel but the chain of authority is very different and it is easy for civilians to be confused about National Guard vs. full-time DOD. In costal areas the U.S President can call on the Coast Guard to provide rescue services. The Coast Guard is a uniformed service, but is part of the Dept of Homeland Security, not DOD. It was Army National Guard and Coast Guard personnel you saw on the TV news doing rescues and policing in the aftermath of Katrina. The U.S. President can also direct the U.S. Navy to station ships off the U.S. coast line to provide medical care for mass casualties. And of course, DOD troops would protect U.S. military installations from any groups of insurgents that attempt trespass. Short of a civil war, I can not see Congress funding any DOD actions against US citizens on US soil -- it would be politically fatal. Any US President who tried such a foolish thing would be impeached and I really doubt any senior military officer would ever order a military strike against Chicago or Dalllas or Savannah. Maybe in a novel or film, but not in real life.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Hm. Seems to me we're all taking little bites all around the crust of the big pie here. Here's my take...

There are all sorts of organizations, public and private, who are militarily organized/organizing. Some are vets and sworn to the oath of protecting their country. Some are paintball-boys with delusions of grandeur, who have never fought in a real war, never killed anyone. Some call themselves 'patriots' and live in self-sufficient enclaves with their families, far removed from social participation, often with deep-seated religious leanings - everything from Christian to Muslim. Some are current military, some are ex-military in the local LE, some are in their State's National Guard.

Some are 'into it' for the money, some are into it for the power, some are into it for their religious or social convictions for the end-of-the-world scenarios, for survival. Some just like to shoot ever-bigger and better guns, kill wild animals and live off of the land. Some really don't give a dang about politics, and some live their whole lives for it. Some actually believe they have been appointed by some god or other, and some don't even believe in a god.

What we have is a mish-mosh of different groups with various goals, lifestyles, attitudes, and beliefs. The Southern Poverty Law Center accuses first this, than that, than some other group of being home-grown or imported terrorists, depending on which political machine is in power at the moment. One religious group accuses another of wanting to kill them and gain supremacy. This group of mercenaries wins that contract, and the groups who didn't win the contract accuses the winner of having subversive intent. Meanwhile, folks read this or that blog or publication, and freak out that this or that para-military organization is preparing the next coup de e'tat.

Personally, to me it is all the magicians' sleight of hand - watch the glittery scarey reports in this hand, look at the uniformed evil people over there, pay no attention to the men behind the curtain who are actually deciding your fate and telling you what to believe (and freak out over) this week. Being frightened of this or that group means less awareness, less preparation, and more trembling. If Blackwater decides to pursue Pinky and the Brain's goal "to take over the world!" then there are enough cold hard veterans who have actually fought and killed and seen their buddies die for freedom - and would do it again. From the long-haired bejeaned Patriot Guard on their bikes to the guys down at the American Legion on Saturday nights, we have enough folks to rise up and quash any such manuever - and they haven't let spiders build webs in their heads or their gun barrels, either. These are the guys you don't want to pi** off.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Wise words again from SCGranny.

And 295 Linda imagines:
"Any US President who tried such a foolish thing would be impeached and I really doubt any senior military officer would ever order a military strike against Chicago or Dalllas or Savannah. Maybe in a novel or film, but not in real life."

Just take a look at recent history in a place called Waco when tanks were used against civilians. Those same civilians went grocery shopping in town and went jogging on public roads on a regular basis. They could have been picked up at any time for questioning if any legitimate charge had ever been returned by a grand jury against any of those folks.

Lets all play nice here on the forum and pay attention to the terms of service.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
The Posse Comitatus Act was passed by Congress on June 18, 1878, the purpose of which was to prevent federal military personnel being used in the US to enforce laws. It applied to the US Army, and by extension, to the Air Force.

On September 26, 2006, President Bush urged Congress to reverse Posse Comitatus. It became part of the John Warner Defense Authorization Act, which was signed into law on October 17, 2006. The provision was to deal with "insurrection, domestic violence, or conspiracy" that hinders the execution of laws, and became known as the "Martial Law Act" (unofficially, of course).

This provision was repealed in 2008, but in 2008 a US Army division was placed under NORTHCOM to be trained here in the US to carry out missions here in the US. Where things stand now is rather nebulous. Also, there have been efforts to mobilize a UN force made up of a multi-national military force that could be deployed in any member country...and the US is a member country.

Make of it what you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness