Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

A friend has one of these and I'd love to have one myself:

Cozy Cruiser - Teardrop Trailers & Campers

It's just big enough to have one queen size bed that fills the trailer and then the little kitchen on the back and is small enough that you can pull it with a compact car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
That is adorable!
What a great thing to have at an ice-fishing camp... or to go visit the (adult) kids in, so you don't have to sleep with them!

Better than a van to live in too.. "I'm just off seeing the world, ocifer... wanna cup of coffee?" Misdirection is the best form of hiding...

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Oh, I'd LOVE to have one of those. I could put so much more in the van if I didn't sleep in it and cook in it. Plus a real refrigerator ..... I've always wanted one of those, if you're hermiting way out in the wilderness or up atop a mountain you get to miss fresh food and cold drinks.

Maybe if I win the lottery ......

Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Oh, I'd LOVE to have one of those. I could put so much more in the van if I didn't sleep in it and cook in it. Plus a real refrigerator ..... I've always wanted one of those, if you're hermiting way out in the wilderness or up atop a mountain you get to miss fresh food and cold drinks.

Woof. If your handy with carpenter tools, you need to see the base trailers at Harbor Freight. See if I can drag up a link, but my system is s l o w tonight.

Re-booted and here ya go for a starter base and this one folds up, to take very little space. If you made a body also remove and maybe fold or break down flat, you could save space.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...res-42709.html

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 08-25-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I lived in a 80s Blazer for about 6 months, and I also travel and sleep in my car.

The SUV had limo tint on the back windows, so no one could see in. I would park anywhere there were a few other cars all night. Included were residential streets, office parking lots, 24 hour stores, and apartment complex parking lots. Since no one could see me, I would just pull in a spot in the general area of some other cars, check it out for a few minutes, and then hop in the back.

What's the worst that could happen. Someone sees you, calls the cops, and the police tell you to move.

Further, when I travel, I always sleep at a truck stop. I just park in the car area, and usually don't hear the trucks. But, I have used earplugs because I crack all the windows in the summer. I prefer the big truck stops, because usually there are other people there too. Love's has signs stating you can't park for more than 1 hour, but I slept there a few times along with a few RVs next to me with no problems.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

I think she said $8000, new. . .

Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think she said $8000, new. . .
A like trailer camper could be built home made for a fraction of that with the base trailer kit I linked. I bet 600/800 bucks would buy the trailer, and all the materials.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyVan View Post
SoCal is perfect for van living. If I was a guy, I'd prob just live under a bridge.

Anyway, a friend of mine has convinced me to rent storage rather than sell everything I own. I'm going to do it because perhaps this will just be temporary. Hard to say. I love saving money and I've always admired people who live simply.

Here's an article I bumped into tonite. So impressive! Can You Imagine A World Without Money? Well, This Lady Hasn't Used Any Money In 15 Years!

Thanks again, as always.
I read this thread and found it very interesting. I wonder what is causing us to desire the independence from our present societal ways. I also desire a more simple way of life in my own subconscious. Many, I believe secretly know there has to be a better way than the system we have now. My theory is that with all this uncertainty, unemployment and natural disasters, it will force us to live a more simple life on a "as needed" basis. Many may not make it through it while a few groups of people will be able to sustain themselves quite well on little of nothing because they really didn't care for the"system" we have now anyway. To them it will be liberating financially, mentally, physically, spirtually and emotionally.

A question MV. If you are going to rent a storage anyway, can you possibly rent one large enough to fit your van in at night or with all of those foreclosed homes, can you park in the driveways or backyards for the night. These options would seem suitable for you.

Also some of you here have very good skills like you MM and jt24. It sounds like there is a training career in "Modified Your Van For Living" waiting to happen. And it most likely be a success with the number of people out of work and without survival skills

Last edited by eyewrist; 08-26-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
A like trailer camper could be built home made for a fraction of that with the base trailer kit I linked. I bet 600/800 bucks would buy the trailer, and all the materials.
Yeah, but I'm saving up for a $68 I-pod.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM

I see....... I just bought a used GPSmap 60 SCx, but never had any I pod yet. I never had a gps before either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness