Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 AM

373 posts, read 635,338 times

Advertisements

I seriously wondered about checking out of the USA in my younger days as in parts of Latin America, and later South Africa or Rhodesia.

Glad to have not went to South Africa or Rhodesia. Never expected the South Africans to be sold out at the top. Rhodesia became an unflushed toilet country. My late grandfather lived in SA for awhile, said it was one of the nicest places on the planet, but would implode at some later time via population increases and a possible eventual lack of resolve.

People from all over the planet have been moving to South America for generations. But would be a risky move now. Esp for someone dependent on Dollars and the Dollar remaining a reserve currency. Reading between the lines there alot of people who have moved to Latin America and thrive.

Outside of the USA and Western Europe there are far fewer laws that destroy and harm family values and personal responisbility.

Even in a second tier country such as the USA people can still thrive who know there way around the place. But there are some very dangerous changes here and people whose mentality in high places would fit in great in Mainland China,or India or Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Agreed! DW and I are actively looking for a used tow-behind camper or even a 5th wheel, as we have the trucks to tow. 30' minimum, more if we can find it. We'd tow it up to our land when we buy, and live in it while building. We'd prefer this to a motor home, which you have to drive the whole thing wherever you go. A tow-behind can be unhooked, and you're free to go in just the truck, which uses far less gas.

Yes, I miss Mac also! I don't understand what happened that he cannot use his computer. I realize that he lost the place where he was staying, but any McDonald's has wi-fi. If anyone hears from him, please post the news (unless he says not to).
From what Mac said, the landlord moved in a new girlfriend who was inconsiderate beyond belief and wouldn't keep her hands off of their stuff. They just had a room at the LL's place (I believe), so had to share a kitchen and everything with her. Sounded to me like she was deliberately trying to squeeze out Mac and his wife. Anyway, they reached their limit of her and left. I don't believe he had a laptop, so wouldn't be able to post from wherever he is.

You may recall his pictures from when he lived in a remote area of the mountains for an extended time... he had quite the set-up there. I wouldn't be surprised if he was staying there again.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I know it would be counter-productive to Mac's lifestyle, but he could make a great living off teaching his outdoor survivalist skills. I would love to know what he knows when/if the SHTF.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
[quote=Be Free;22032872]From what Mac said, the landlord moved in a new girlfriend who was inconsiderate beyond belief and wouldn't keep her hands off of their stuff. They just had a room at the LL's place (I believe), so had to share a kitchen and everything with her. Sounded to me like she was deliberately trying to squeeze out Mac and his wife. Anyway, they reached their limit of her and left. I don't believe he had a laptop, so wouldn't be able to post from wherever he is.

You may recall his pictures from when he lived in a remote area of the mountains for an extended time... he had quite the set-up there. I wouldn't be surprised if he was staying there again.[/QUOT

I told.him he should buy mot ren. I seriously thought a real prepped wouldn't want to worry

About a landlord. Now all his hardworking of gardening and preparing his home is lost.. how sad.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good point. Doug Casey has started a community in northern Argentina. Other wealthy investors have staked out places in southern Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and even southern Africa. My first impulse would be to flee to Canada. They have less debt, a much smaller military, way lower population, and a nation of LAWS.

Until you really think about it, the US seems to be the best. But is it really? Look at all the police in riot gear surrounding the Occupy types. Not that I care about the Occupiers, but just the sight of such militarized police units makes me uneasy. Then the implosion of MF Global, which proves that we are NOT a nation of laws. Jon Corzine lost billions of his clients' funds, which were co-mingled when they should not have been, and those investors are out their $$$. Corzine ought to be in handcuffs, but never will be. Only penny-ante guys like Madoff pay the price.

It's the whole crooked-politics and bought-off pols, Washington disregard for We The People, the farces called elections we have (Tweedle-Dum or Tweedle-Dumber?), the riot-helmeted jack-booted "police" (I used to love policemen as a kid - but not now). How 'bout some of those new laws? Patriot Act, repeal of Glass-Steagall and Posse Comitatus and the new National Defense Authorization Act (you should google that one), and it's very obvious to me that the USA I grew up in is not the USA I now live in.

So is this country really the "best". I wonder. DW and I are doing some homework on this now. We both have passports, but our daughters and their spouses do not, nor do the 6 grandchildren. Before this is all over with, we may have to find another place to call "home".

We should all think about that!
Oddly enough, I have friends in both Argentina and Canada, and they are ALL trying to get HERE! (Also have buddies pulling security gigs in various south/central countries)

Check out the requirements to immigrate to Mexico. Check out their 3rd (IIRC) source of income ($ from the US)... won't be good to be there if the USD is done.

South Africa... good luck with that!

the Argentine 'outback' has SOME value, if you know the area well, fit in with the locals, have revenue other than the USD, and are willing to lower your standard of living.

-I actually like the idea of paying my 'taxes' to the local PD rather than the IRS.

IRS doesn't care, but if you give the local police chief $100/week or whatever... you have a relationship

As to both countries and others... none are as free as the US. Canada's a nation of laws allright... too many of them! Both would suffer greatly if the USD went down in flames (Or up in smoke) and I really can't see an advantage other than if the US turned into some jackbooted thug haven and you had to go a la the Jews in Nazi Germany. (And that is doubtful IMHO)

If you take issue with the police, or the 'scams'
Look at the police in other countries, Argentina's 3:1, or the way they limit the amount of USD you can buy with your Peso RIGHT NOW...

I HAVE done my homework, and I decided some remote corner of the US, where I contribute to the FD and the PD, be out of debt, off the grid, make some of my own food, the area produces much else I need, and staking up $ (B/c $ is power)

Is WAAAAY better than a country where I'm 'The Gringo' when my FRN's are worthless!

Not saying I'm right, just saying.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM

[quote=Aptor hours;22036526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
From what Mac said, the landlord moved in a new girlfriend who was inconsiderate beyond belief and wouldn't keep her hands off of their stuff. They just had a room at the LL's place (I believe), so had to share a kitchen and everything with her. Sounded to me like she was deliberately trying to squeeze out Mac and his wife. Anyway, they reached their limit of her and left. I don't believe he had a laptop, so wouldn't be able to post from wherever he is.

You may recall his pictures from when he lived in a remote area of the mountains for an extended time... he had quite the set-up there. I wouldn't be surprised if he was staying there again.[/QUOT

I told.him he should buy mot ren. I seriously thought a real prepped wouldn't want to worry

About a landlord.
Now all his hardworking of gardening and preparing his home is lost.. how sad.
Your not really prepared if the whelm of someone else GF results in you living in an old van through the winter.

Myself and several others recommended he find an inexpensive piece of property he could of saved for by working for a few months, but he chose not to.
Apparently he also did not have the financial resources to take another path.

I'm not trying to speak ill of him, just pointing out that being prepared includes financial preparedness also.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

Your not really prepared if the whelm of someone else GF results in you living in an old van through the winter.

Myself and several others recommended he find an inexpensive piece of property he could of saved for by working for a few months, but he chose not to.

I'm not trying to speak ill of him, just pointing out that being prepared includes financial preparedness also.
I guess that sounds easy if you're not a 60 year old guy with back problems living in an area with no jobs and very little money. He's too proud to suck off the system, so he makes do with what little he can make here and there. Seems to do a lot of work around the LL's place and he did an awesome job on that jeep body work, but he's not very hireable.

He's a lot like my brother - not lazy and he knows how to do a whole mess of stuff, but none of it pays anything. Anyway, he seemed happier than most of us until that hag moved in.

Reminds me of an old hermit who used to live in the woods behind us when I was a kid. He had about 100 acres and an old cabin that I suspect was a garage kit. He ate cold beans out of a can and had no electricity in his cabin, but he used to watch a little black and white TV that was hooked to a car battery. We'd visit him sometimes and take him baked goods or whatever and he was actually an interesting guy. When he died, they found a stack of uncashed social security checks on the dash of his old pickup. Some people just don't lust after the stuff most Americans do.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
[quote=Themanwithnoname;22036979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post

Indeed it does and that was my point as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I guess that sounds easy if you're not a 60 year old guy with back problems living in an area with no jobs and very little money. He's too proud to suck off the system, so he makes do with what little he can make here and there. Seems to do a lot of work around the LL's place and he did an awesome job on that jeep body work, but he's not very hireable.
All I can go off of were his own statements about (Wherever it was) he could go and have engine work waiting for him... Myself and several others tried to talk him into going there, and doing what he said he could do, as only a few months work (At what he said he could make) would result in enough money to buy a few rural acres.
He chose not to.

hopefully that is where he is now...

Quote:
He's a lot like my brother - not lazy and he knows how to do a whole mess of stuff, but none of it pays anything. Anyway, he seemed happier than most of us until that hag moved in.
As my point about independence and preparation is insuring that such minor things cannot destroy your entire life.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Oh, I didn't see the thing about the engine work. Well, it's up to him what he does with his life, I guess. At least he knows how to find food in the woods, so they probably won't starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness