Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 AM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why there, Chris?
Mainly the cool/cold climate. Heavily forested and mountainous. Population is not as dense as the coastal region further north. Plus Chile's current government situation is much more freedom-oriented than it's neighbors. Economically, they are better off as well.

Two areas have been of interest to me in the past: the Puerto Montt area (not actually in the city, but the rural areas surrounding) and Punto Arenas (Straight of Magellan area). But, as I said above... very hard to gain residency these days. If you're interested... marry a Chilena (not the moth, a Chilean woman)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Heck, I'd marry anyone vaguely female, with full bowel and bladder control, who has an IQ sufficient to ask for a cheeseburger.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
You're a real card, Woof. I just noticed your title under your name.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default You would likely be targeted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Heck, I'd marry anyone vaguely female, with full bowel and bladder control, who has an IQ sufficient to ask for a cheeseburger.
You would likely be targeted by females looking to get at entrance to the USA. Many people outside the USA think everyone is affluent and well liked here and for many life is a never ending vacation.

Other family members might well be putting her up to it also.

In some cases people just want access to another countries passport esp a so called first world country such as the USA.

There could very well be a "screening problem"

There is also evidence of popluation groups outside the USA who do not want to live here at all. The traditional family values that protect people over time have been seriously undermined in the USA. For some coming to the USA would be like signing a deal with the devil, then having to pay it back later in Hell.

If you could get a tourist visa and just enough money. I worked with a man who wanted to move to Austrialia in the worst way over changing demographics in the USA. He even visited there and was told in so many words to get a tourist visa, hang around till he could find an under the table job, and finding the under the table job likley to to point of certaintly but a lousy job. Then nature would likely take it's course in finding a woman. But not likely to be as picky as otherwise without papers, and then get them. If she turns out to be good keep her. You might get a good one too. Reminds me of a pal who married the HS prom queen. She lost her looks down to average or less soon and insisted on being treated
like royalty for decades. He wound up envying other men who had married women who looked good enough, but had better character.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Oh, I don't really want to move to another country, or marry anyone. Health is bad, need tons of pills. Also I married someone 5 years ago and it only lasted a coupla months. That was enough to get it out of my system.

I just like to dream about moving to another part of the world. I COULD legally move to Switzerland as I have dual citizenship, but financially couldn't - would end up homeless without even a van to live in. Probably I'd just go to Canada if anywhere, without trying to get citizenship there.

If I won the lottery, maybe I would buy a condo aboard one of those ocean liners built to live in ..... just keep traveling to see all the sights before death.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
Reminds me of a pal who married the HS prom queen. She lost her looks down to average or less soon and insisted on being treated like royalty for decades. He wound up envying other men who had married women who looked good enough, but had better character.
That reminds ME of an old song (probably too ancient for you guys here) that went something like, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife, so from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you."

I lucked out. Got me a pretty one who has her head on straight!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That reminds ME of an old song (probably too ancient for you guys here) that went something like, "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife, so from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you."

I lucked out. Got me a pretty one who has her head on straight!
Great Jimmy Soul reference! Jimmy Soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM

145 posts, read 176,720 times
Good plan!

We had snow last nite in SoCal!

http://livinginmyvan.com/wow-weather/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No. In the Ozarks, but I can't build while there is snow on the ground.

SO I'm going where it's warmer till I can.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
Alright, you Californians and Texans need to stop hoarding all the snow!! I'm sitting here in New Hampshire all bummed out because it doesn't seem like Christmas with no snow on the ground! Sheesh!

MyVan - do you have someplace to be on Christmas besides your van? Not that that would be the worst place (I imagine a hospital would be worse. Or prison).

Old 12-17-2011, 03:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Alright, you Californians and Texans need to stop hoarding all the snow!! I'm sitting here in New Hampshire all bummed out because it doesn't seem like Christmas with no snow on the ground! Sheesh!
Be Free, I hear ya!

Couple states down from you, in RI, I had to go buy a Christmas tree in 52F weather, sunny, not a cloud in the sky. Would rather have been drinking a beer out on the deck! Double that "Sheesh"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness