Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .22 B.O.B. Rifle
Ruger 10/22 (folding stock) 7 38.89%
AR-7 Henry U.S. Survival Rifle 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I've been looking into this model (actually the Lux or "military training model"). These look like great .22s for just about anything a .22 can do.
I prefer my 452 Varmint because of the heavy barrel. You see, I got it to practice long-range shooting without destroying my wallet every time I pulled the trigger. The rifle and general set-up is a close approximation to my .308 Savage 10FP, though the trigger-pull is heavier.

With that said, however, in my experience all CZ rifles are well-made tack-drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Eastern, thars too many guys for me and my CRS to recall where yer at. RI or Fla is my best for you, and both places have larger rural areas where the Corp of Engineers seem to posses the lands mostly wild lands. With a few ID books for plants an d the like you should have no problems IDing wild foods.

Ah, I have it now FLA for you. In FLA there is tns of wild plants you can eat parts of. It's amatter of bucking down and learning about them, before you need them. And the fishing is extreme, any back waters have fish almost free for the taking.

My truth in shtf I almost don't need a gun. Sure I will have at least one, but I doubt I will use it much. Wild plants to eat come first then easy for the taking meal sized fish, last rodents. We callem rabbits and squirrels, and for me up to beaver sized is good for a few meals.
Florida is correct. And that's probably the most practical advice I've heard. Hunting sounds more glamorous than gathering, but you've got a good point about ease of the catch. Plants don't run away. I've got a couple books I've been eyeing on Amazon and I've been looking into the trails around the state to get into hiking. Once this summer heat passes I hope to get out on the trail with the wife and I'll be sure to start studying the plants. Thanks, once again.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:18 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Florida is correct. And that's probably the most practical advice I've heard. Hunting sounds more glamorous than gathering, but you've got a good point about ease of the catch. ..... I've been looking into the trails around the state to get into hiking.
If you are in central FL, try Ocala National Forest. There's a good 80+ miles worth of hiking trails in there, and you can enter and exit at various points, depending one ones ambition/training. Quite a few "springs" in that park, as an aside, probably more than any other in the state... and they are in proximity to the trail.

The "Florida Trail" (FT), you might also be aware of, it runs almost the length of the state from south to north (1400 miles - from about Miami up to Pensacola on the panhandle.... it goes right through the length of Ocala on its way up/down.) The trail association has nice maps for each section for only $3, or thereabouts (they sell them in some of the stores, as well as online).

Of course plenty of other trails, but Ocala and the FT, in general, is a good one to check out because it has some very vast stretches where you can literally be alone for days or weeks on end (my personal experience - much to my surprise, given the population of the state, I would never have thought it likely to find a place in that state where you could not see people for days or weeks on end) and you'd be darn lucky if you ever saw another person (especially certain times of the year).... which makes it good if you want to practice certain skills.... you won't have too many nosy people eyeballing you.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-24-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Yeah... I've given up on the poll. I probably won't go with either at this point. I've changed my mind about a dozen times since then. It's going to come down to whatever catches my fancy next time I stumble upon a gun show or a nice shop. It's good to do the research early so I'll know what a fair price looks like when I find the one.
No sweat there. Most any time I go looking for a pocket gun for SD I end up with some cannon, that won't come close to fittin' in any pockets I got

Some Fla plants you can eat and i know grow there, which is sayin something since I haven't been there to spend time since the mid 70's is Pricklypear cactus, which you can make into drinks and or food. There is a pine family tree I think Austrialian pine?????? In any case you can make bread from it's cambium bark and tea from the new growth needles, and it is loaded in vit C. I think you have beach rose, but I might not be right. Then there is that rear orange and grapefruits, ever heard of them?

I can tell you right now, that any man that plans to eat only buy the gun, is going to be one hellova hungery man. Now the way I hunt with a gun is to go set snares and fishin traps and while I'm at it gather plants I can eat. If something comes up looking like dinner I will shoot, but a lot of times nuthin pops up and says 'Hey Loooky heyua' I am dinner for the takin....'

You catch one fish, and you got better bait for a bone toggle hook, but the hook alone made of a white bone is all the bait you need. The guts can be piled up and if the yellow jackets don't find it first you can get all mannor of curious critters from rabbits to deer to sniff the bait. One thing can lead to the next.

I really mean one thing can lead to the next too. The fish can make a glue you could eat. I never have eaten any but I could if i had too. That glue can be so strong as to pull chips from a pyrex brownie dish corner. Don't ask how I know since it's a painfull memory LOL However the glue isn't water proof, but that what snakes are for.

In SHTF I don't even want to be moving around much wastin energy. I want to be making some items I consider to be a luxury, and one you can't buy in stores today. In fact you can never buy in stores what I consider to be luxuries, except maybe a gun.

You got palm leaves and if I were you I would go learn how to make a leaf bowl that is water tight. I just wish I knew how to do that with those leaves and had any. Fla offers tons of stuff as raw materials to make things of. If they had sugar maple there I could tap and make sugar of, I could almost live winters there. You got yukka too, which can be soap or cordage and or used a fire boards and spindles for a fire bow.

This is almost like me tawkin myself to getting down to Fla, and just kickin back in the swamp eatting wild rice and gator meat. Maybe toss in a little boar... just on Sundays, and eat wild fish the rest of the time with plants. I think there is so much in Fla a man could go off the grid and never again get into any traffic and live the life of a wild man, and hell that ain't any too bad if you ask me.

For 3 years I earned less than 4,000 a year, and was just fine. I got up when I wanted, I went to bed when I wanted and in the time I was awake I did exactly as I pleased.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 06-24-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 01:29 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I've shot both and have owned both, altho I no longer own the AR 7. I own several 10-22's, and also have a nice under folding stock for a 10-22 that i don't use. Since Ruger came out with their new BX-25 magazines for 10-22's I would think they would be much more desirable for the average guy. I've liked Ruger's for along time and bought my first pistol from Ruger back in the 1950's, for $37.50. I have a Mini 14 and a Mini 30, but I don't plan on buying any of their new guns that have a limited magazine capacity. I own many of their handguns, however, I've never been impressed with their big bore semi auto's until now when they brought out a version of the 1911.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This is almost like me tawkin myself to getting down to Fla, and just kickin back in the swamp eatting wild rice and gator meat. Maybe toss in a little boar... just on Sundays, and eat wild fish the rest of the time with plants. I think there is so much in Fla a man could go off the grid and never again get into any traffic and live the life of a wild man, and hell that ain't any too bad if you ask me.
Finally getting tired of the cold weather? You sound like you are ready for a change of pace... ready to become a Florida Cajun swamp dweller.

Winters are indeed quite bearable there. It still gets down to the 30's and 40's in the winter on many days (40's probably a lot more than 30's), mixed in with a lot of nice 50+ days. You could probably even grow vegetables all winter there easy enough by just cold-framing it, or building a cheap greenhouse with plastic tarp cover.... throw a little lantern or two in there during the night, and it should keep the inside of it from frosting over.

The remainder of the year (starting around April to October) is pretty unbearable, though. I could not do it without air conditioning. If one wanted to do some off-the-grid thing, unless a person was extremely heat tolerant, they would really need enhanced provisions for solar power, because you need some extra juice for A/C.

The water in the state is pretty unbearable in a lot of places.... that's a whole other issue.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:19 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Yeah... I've given up on the poll. I probably won't go with either at this point. I've changed my mind about a dozen times since then. It's going to come down to whatever catches my fancy next time I stumble upon a gun show or a nice shop. It's good to do the research early so I'll know what a fair price looks like when I find the one.
Don't give up the idea! It's a good one. Along with the AR's, AK's, RPK's, PPSH, hand guns of many types that i have around.... I keep the ubiquitous AR7 and a box of ammo under the back seat just in case...It doesn't coat anything and you never know....The whole Idea of prepping!!! a word to the wise is be prepared for surprises!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Finally getting tired of the cold weather? You sound like you are ready for a change of pace... ready to become a Florida Cajun swamp dweller.

Winters are indeed quite bearable there. It still gets down to the 30's and 40's in the winter on many days (40's probably a lot more than 30's), mixed in with a lot of nice 50+ days. You could probably even grow vegetables all winter there easy enough by just cold-framing it, or building a cheap greenhouse with plastic tarp cover.... throw a little lantern or two in there during the night, and it should keep the inside of it from frosting over.

The remainder of the year (starting around April to October) is pretty unbearable, though. I could not do it without air conditioning. If one wanted to do some off-the-grid thing, unless a person was extremely heat tolerant, they would really need enhanced provisions for solar power, because you need some extra juice for A/C.

The water in the state is pretty unbearable in a lot of places.... that's a whole other issue.
Naw. but maybe after the sugar maple learns to grow in Fla I will

Oh yeah that water comment reminds me.. A very long time ago, dino' still roamed earth, like a real long time ago I drove to Jacksonville, which was only so far as I could drive a VW Bug before I couldn't take the earr pounding you get driving one with the windows down. So I took a room for that night, and snuck in my mutt Poo.

Well someone didn't have much driving skills in what I assmed was a big rig, since that VW was spread out for 3 city blocks in the morning.

I called the cops to report that, and beg a ride to the Bus Station, but instead got a bil and it was nasty for the clean up. With no ride to anywhere I hitched rides to Jupiter, the one on the planet not in space

That was no fun. It was hot, I didn't know what sand spurrs were, but found out Poo couldn't walk on them. So I carried the dog and my back pack under that hot sun.

I wasn't even 21 at the time, and hit up a bar for water in Vero Bch. I ordered a beer anyway and wasn't IDed. But I really wanted that water bad.

The first big gulp came right back up tasing like rotten eggs. That mess landed on the bar and the Bar Keep was gonna bust my tail over it!

I was yelling WATER! I want WATER! chasing the egg taste with the beer, and running arounbd in the bar getting behind tables and away fromn the enraged bar keeper.

I was pretty enraged too, I thought it was posion. He and I made a total trash pit of the place him tryin to kill me and me trying to not get killed. Poo took it as all fun too, ran around grabbing table cloths and draggin them all around, which tripped the Bar Keep and made him slip and fall a few times.

He had some accent which was hard to understand, but I know rage when I see it. Man that water sure can be nasty....

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 06-26-2011 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I've shot both and have owned both, altho I no longer own the AR 7. I own several 10-22's, and also have a nice under folding stock for a 10-22 that i don't use. Since Ruger came out with their new BX-25 magazines for 10-22's I would think they would be much more desirable for the average guy.
Nite Ryder,

Don't get me wrong. The 10-22's are pretty good, and with the careful application of additional funds, they can be made even better. I have seen a few custom 10-22's that were downright awesome (1-shot kills on running ground squirrels at more than 100 yards, for instance)!

The primary reason I don't have one is that, as it comes from the factory, the barrel-receiver connection permits just a tad of movement each time the rifle fires. The rear sight (or scope) is mounted on the receiver, so the tiny bit of barrel movement changes the POI. Not a lot, but its not predictable, and to me that's a knockdown.

This can be fixed, as I said, with the proper application of additional funds. There may come a day when a Ruger 10-22 will become my project rifle. Until that day, and since I don't really need a semi-auto, my preference is better out-of-the-box accuracy.

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes

Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Another one in the "break down" category that I forgot about, which I don't think anyone mentioned yet, the Rossi .22LR and .410:

YouTube - ‪common man's survival rifle‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness