Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times

Advertisements

I am interested in finding acreage in the northeast, specifically places like Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Mountainous and forested land are preferred. Any ideas where I can find it for under $1,000 an acre?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
I am interested in finding acreage in the northeast, specifically places like Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Mountainous and forested land are preferred. Any ideas where I can find it for under $1,000 an acre?
Forest Beekeeper will probably be along to tell you about Maine. From my understanding, Maine has some cheaper land in the Unincorporated Territories (and Maine supposedly has more unincorporated areas than most, or all, states on the east coast.) You could probably find some land for under $1,000 in this region.

In NH, "acreage" is not as expensive as some people will tell you. I've followed the prices of land in the state for years, and it's not vacant land/acreage which is expensive. When people talk about property prices in the state, they are usually talking about land with houses on it. That's a rather different market. My observation is that under $1,000 is a little on the cheap side for NH, for acreage.

I have indeed seen land listed many times for that kind of price, but usually it is much bigger blocks of land, like 120 - 1,000 plus acres. If you want land more in the range of 10 acres to 120 acres, $1,200/acre (min) to $1,700/acre seems to be a much more common price.

For smaller plots in the 10 - 20 acre range, it even tends to be in the $1,500 - $2,500 an acre range.... but I've seen plenty of "exceptions to the rule," where I saw nice properties for cheaper around the $1k'ish mark. But to find them takes a lot of searching, and the right timing to stumble along the right thing.

My observation is that Vermont is a little more expensive than NH, as far as acreage goes (25 percent more, by rough observation.... though I don' follow the VT market as closely as I do the NH market). Some of the nicest properties I've ever seen listed on the sites have been in VT, but the prices were a bit out of my range of consideration.

landsofamerica.com, and landwatch.com are my two favorite listing sites. The menu system on these sites is very good and seems to be particularly oriented for "land" searches, moreso than house searching. It really lets you pin things down and sort them by maximum acreage, minimum acreage , type of acreage (mountain, stream, lake front, farmland, etc..), types of activities you like, and then you can put price caps on it to keep the listing from returning excess results for things you can't afford...

Old 06-26-2011, 02:43 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I am dying to get some land like I have described, but I do not have large sums of money.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 PM

I saw land for only $600 an acre in NH not long ago. It was for a 1200 acre mountain parcel.. virgin land... not timber cut. I think it was actually part of a park that was being sold off, for some reason.

What a deal that would be. Some people pay that amount for a house. 1200 acres, that's practically the size of a small town. Well beyond my budget, though.

Anyway, the point was, they do actually sell land cheap (much less than 1k an acre.).... it's really a matter of doing a LOT of looking around, being patient, and perhaps a bit of luck stumbling across the right find at the right time.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
FTA, Do let me in on this pleeeease...... The same thing for 10 acers+ or so would fit my style. Here I am thinking it's $15,000 per, no matter what. Some class 6 road access might be nice. Say North of Rt 2 in NH.

I will start looking to, but hints on how to would be welcomed.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
FTA, Do let me in on this pleeeease...... The same thing for 10 acers+ or so would fit my style. Here I am thinking it's $15,000 per, no matter what. Some class 6 road access might be nice. Say North of Rt 2 in NH.

I will start looking to, but hints on how to would be welcomed.

Don't know what's available lately, haven't looked in the last six months, but will look later and post a few samples properties and their web links, just to get an idea of what might be available if one pokes around online.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
FTA, Why did you do such things? Were you interested once more than now?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Northern Maine is your best bet for cheaper land. Vermont is mostly overpriced outside a few parts of the Northeast Kingdom (market in large part driven by out of state, non-resident buyers with money), Northern NH is between the two.

Smaller parcels almost always cost more per acre than big ones.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Just as a brief example of what could be found if one does some searches, here is some reasonably priced properties:

New Hampshire:

The pickings seem slim lately. Not as many cheap properties as I saw last year. There's definitely a few a few in the $1,000 per acre mark and less, but they are larger pieces of property, so it all depends how much money you have lying around.

I used to see a lot of 10 acre for $10k properties... which is nice for those on a budget, but have not seen many of those this time.

59 acres - $39k ($687 an acre)
active brook on property,
Newport, Sullivan County, New Hampshire land for sale - 59 acres at LandWatch.com

99 acres - $76k ($763 an acre) Hall Stream Rd. Pittsburg
Nice area, VERY remote. Up by the Canadian border.
Also look for properties by Indian Stream Rd. (close to Hall Stream Rd.), if you ever really want to live in the boonies.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Grafton 6.4 acres - $25k
Campton, Grafton County, New Hampshire land for sale - 6.37 acres at LandWatch.com

33 acres - -$35,000 (almost $1k an acre)
Walpole, Cheshire County, New Hampshire land for sale - 33 acres at LandWatch.com

10 acres - $35k Grafton County
Grafton, Grafton County, New Hampshire land for sale - 10.2 acres at LandWatch.com

11 acres for $38 k. Not a very good prices, but it's up in Coos County in Clarksville, which is a nice isolated lifestyle up there.
Clarksville, Coos County, New Hampshire land for sale - 11.4 acres at LandWatch.com

14.7 acres for $39.7k up in Pittzburg (Coos County). Very nice, very isolated up there. Property seems appealing. Little on the expensive side.
Nice pond, artesian well, snowmobile trail access....

41 acres - $44k Ossipee (almost $1k an acre), (Carroll County)
Ossipee, Carroll County, New Hampshire land for sale - 41 acres at LandWatch.com
Pittsburg, Coos County, New Hampshire land for sale - 14.7 acres at LandWatch.com

38 acres - $45k - Piermont (Grafton County) NH
Piermont, Grafton County, New Hampshire land for sale - 38 acres at LandWatch.com

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:57 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM

Maine:

Maine seems to have a lot more smaller and more affordable properties in the 10 - 30 acre range than NH does, for those whose budget is under $30k. These are just a few that struck my fancy. There were plenty of cheaper ones than these.

Likewise, there is no shortage of smaller properties. If you only have $1,000, $2,5000, $5,000.... no problem..... there are 1/2 acre to 8 acre properties for that price range, as well.

12 acres - $12k
Nice small parcel
http://www.landwatch.com/Lincoln-Cou.../pid/148114800

28 acres - $15k ($535 an acre)
http://www.landwatch.com/Washington-.../pid/148769198

12 acres - $17.275k
Like dense forests and want a brook on your property? This one might do it. Gravel road. No power, if you like the idea of being off-grid.
http://www.landwatch.com/Penobscot-C.../pid/118482408

15 acres - $21.9k
Looks nice. Stream frontage.
http://www.landwatch.com/Piscataquis.../pid/147019552

33 acres - $22k
http://www.landwatch.com/Aroostook-C.../pid/148442444

17 acres - $25k ($1470 an acre)
500 feet of stream frontage and old "fix-r-upper" log cabin on the property.
Nice old cabin. I don't know how beyond repair it is, but that sure looks like it could bbe a fun project restoring it.

50.7 acres - $25.8k ($508 an acre)
http://www.landwatch.com/Aroostook-C...e/pid/20317848

45 acres - $25.9k ($575 an acre)
Comes with trailer on property that looks pretty decent and livable.
http://www.landwatch.com/Penobscot-C.../pid/146782399

41 acres - 28k ($682 an acre)
Property looks pretty nice with good access to outdoorsy stuff
http://www.landwatch.com/Aroostook-C.../pid/200002383

31 acres - $29.9k ($964 an acre)
Has 'camp' (cabin) on property that looks in decent condition.
http://www.landwatch.com/Penobscot-C.../pid/146782399

98 acres - $70k ($714 an acre)

75 acres - $75k ($1k an acre)

11 acres - $17k down a dirt road ($1500 an acre)

51 acres - 25.8k ($500 an acre!)

16 acres - $28k ($1750 an acre)
Very nice and new looking small cabin for additional $15k

20 acres - 29k
Fairly open land. Might be good for farming.

37 acres - $37k

40 acres - $39k
Looks fairly quiet - dirt road

60 acres - $30k ($500 an acre)
hunting property. No pics. I don't know why rel estate sites do that. Who the hell even considers a property with no pics. 99.9999 people see it and go. *NOPE* *CLICK* (close page - looks at another listing).

25 acres - $49.5k
Exceptional, 25+ acre land listing – direct frontage on Town Street. Gorgeous trails to highest elevations with jaw-dropping views and pristine meadows. There is a small pond located on the property with an active spring in the woods and a small rustic cabin with a drilled well.
Lots of wildlife flourish amongst the beautiful pine plantation. Property also features nice, healthy hardwoods – perfect spot for a “get away” cabin or that “dream home” you’ve been waiting for.
Lots of walking trails throughout. Great snowmobiling and ATVing nearby.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness