Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,420,288 times

Advertisements

I"m going to check it out....but I bet these people are portrayed as crazy

Doomsday Preppers | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/doomsday-preppers-6202/Overview - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM

Wow..I am surprised the people weren't portrayed as crazy

It was an interesting show and worth watching.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM

123 posts, read 297,698 times
thanks, lisa.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,714 times
Yea I think national geographic knows that the audience for that show would be preppers themselves. In the past they've upset many people with their offensive articles especially from 3rd world countries.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
I just happened upon the show a bit late. Seemed pretty good to me. I wish I had the resources some of them have.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 754,215 times
I don't get National Geographic anymore since my husband changed our dish package, darn it!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
I don't get National Geographic anymore since my husband changed our dish package, darn it!!!

Can you watch it online? Here is a link but I haven't tried it.

Watch National Geographic: Doomsday Preppers Online - Watch Movies Online

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,524,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Can you watch it online? Here is a link but I haven't tried it.

Watch National Geographic: Doomsday Preppers Online - Watch Movies Online
Enjoyed it. I used this link: videobb - Free Video Hosting - Your #1 Video Site - national.geographic.doomsday.preppers.hdtv.xvid-diverge A few of the other links wanted me to install annoying plug-ins for their particular video format, but that aforementioned link worked for me, anyway, as I only keep the "basics" plug-ins on my computer.

The people who were interviewed for that series, some of whom are 'known' preparedness people on YouTube who weighed in with their opinion, seemed pleased with the experience.

The one gripe that 'engineer775' had (he was South Carolina guy that lived on the farm with his buddy who was also featured in the special, 'Southern Prepper') was that they might have pulled a little bit of a "bait and switch," as is typical of television folks. The name of the show as presented to those being interviewed apparently did not include the word "doomsday," so naturally there was a little bit of a sleight there.

My reaction to that show, to be candid, is I feel compelled a bit to "keep up with the Joneses." Seeing what kind of comprehensive plans some of those individuals have, my feeble efforts seem all the more inadequate.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
The definitions always are subject to what one considers things to be. My idea of a doomsday is something either no one can survive, or very few can from the get go, say a rock from space 1/4 the size of the moon. No one will escape that sort of disaster, and if anyone does they will be very few.

A Nation in social, economic breakdown isn't that kind of disaster. Nothing has gone wrong except for silly man's ways. The grass still grows, the water still flows, and all you need do is adapt.

There is a series of choices a man can make still. There are no elephants in NH and so I don't have the problem of ringing out elephant dung for something to drink I really like that there are no elephants in NH too.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,697,287 times
Aw, Mac_Muz, sometimes I think having an elephant to lift and tote things would be awfully convenient! That and some elephants would make a powerful defense creature... Can you just imagine having a mob descending on your rural home - and the elephant stands up and BELLOWS? Beats an ATT security system all hollow!

I don't worry too much about what I have/don't have compared to others. It's sorta like the folks who get on TV, YouTube, or in the local bar and start telling everyone what they have, how much better they are, how much money they have, etc. Why put up a neon sign arrow pointing directly to your house, saying, "HERE IT IS! COME AND GET IT!" ? (My friend Claire Wolfe used to point out that a lot of folks will do that simply to get others to admit to what they have.)

For years, DH and I lived in a nothing house, drove nothing vehicles, gave the appearance of having little to nothing. Everyone around us was in 'buy' mode, and sneered at us for working too hard and having "nothing" - while we just smiled and went on about our business. Then, when they were losing everything, we announced that we were moving - and showed the pics of the house and acreage and told them what we were planning to do, and packed up and did it. Everyone's opinion of what 'nothing' is, is different.

Some folks think that having lots of stored food and ammo is important - and of course it is. But when it runs out, then what? Some folks think that living off the land is valuable - but when everyone is trying to, it gets a little crowded (during the Depression, whole herds of deer and flocks turkeys were decimated in many states, some lakes were emptied of fish, and had to be repopulated).

Some folks think that having lots of gadgets will help them survive, others eschew comfort and live in tents even when they can afford to buy a permanent residence and acreage. In certain situations, some will be right, others will be wrong. And since we don't really KNOW with certainty what type of SHTF scenario will occur - we can argue and postulate, predict and insist, but until the grid actually DOES fail, or the food riots begin, or the Chinese buy up the land around us, or massive earthquakes and tsunamis alter the configuration of the land masses, or the FedGov starts RubyRidging every independent gun owner and sheperding them into those concrete structures with the barbwire fences, we don't really know. All we can do is mitigate what we can, while we can, to the best of our ability and finances, and - wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness