Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Incidentally, don't know if too many people are aware of it, but USDA.gov has a place where you can sign up to get instant emails about recalled food items. If you think this is a good idea (forewarned is forearmed, right?) be advised - you will get at least three emails a week, usually more, about contaminated and recalled food and pharmacy items. What does that tell you?

it tells me not to trust the goverment about anything anymore than i have to already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
My ambition is to die in a bed, at around 115 or so. In my sleep, not because I'm bedridden. My hope is to remain healthy and active until the night when god calls me home at a very very extra ripe old age.

Getting hugely fat and dying in front of the tv is not on my list of things to do though either. I'm pretty sure that would interfere with my plan in the previous paragraph! And it would be a pretty sad and boring existence while waiting for the end to come, wouldn't it?
Do you know the joke... "How do you make God laugh? Tell him what your plans are".

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,694 times
My plan may or may not come to fruition. But it is still the plan regardless. I sure think it is far better than planning on dying young, from some random violent event or attack. With any luck, and careful avoidance of all the bad things I can possibly avoid, my plan might just happen!

There are always events that can screw up the best laid plans made. But that shouldn't stop you from making the plan in the first place.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
We used to say, "I want to die at 110, with my clothes in one hand and a windowsill in the other!"

Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

But from what I gather here, there doesn't seem to be much thought put towards how the "afterward" part will play out.
S

There isn't much thought put into the "afterward" as there will be no "afterward". Why.. Because there will be collapse. The economy isn't going to come to an end and life as you and I know it will continue on well past our life times. Hate to break it to all you guys hoping and predicting the end of the world but it isn't happening anytime soon.

Now do something productive to actually try to improve our economy and get out there and buy something.

I've said this a hundred times and I'll continue to do so. The Economy is NOT in our governments hands. It's entirely in ours. True it would be a whole lot easier to fix if we weren't fighting needless wars every other day but even then the economy is in OUR hands. WE have the power to correct it and I'm not talking about a revolt or over throwing the government. We as a society need to get out there and get jobs. The jobs are there we just need to take them. Then spend that money on goods.

It's pretty plain and simple really. Quit crying that the governments handout isn't large enough for you tax bracket, quit writing end of the our economy threads and get off your azz and be a productive useful member of society.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:55 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
My plan may or may not come to fruition. But it is still the plan regardless. I sure think it is far better than planning on dying young, from some random violent event or attack. With any luck, and careful avoidance of all the bad things I can possibly avoid, my plan might just happen!

There are always events that can screw up the best laid plans made. But that shouldn't stop you from making the plan in the first place.
That's why instead of planning you should live your life to the fullest, one day at a time and treat every day as a gift that might not keep giving tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
There isn't much thought put into the "afterward" as there will be no "afterward". Why.. Because there will be collapse. The economy isn't going to come to an end and life as you and I know it will continue on well past our life times. Hate to break it to all you guys hoping and predicting the end of the world but it isn't happening anytime soon.

Now do something productive to actually try to improve our economy and get out there and buy something.

I've said this a hundred times and I'll continue to do so. The Economy is NOT in our governments hands. It's entirely in ours. True it would be a whole lot easier to fix if we weren't fighting needless wars every other day but even then the economy is in OUR hands. WE have the power to correct it and I'm not talking about a revolt or over throwing the government. We as a society need to get out there and get jobs. The jobs are there we just need to take them. Then spend that money on goods.

It's pretty plain and simple really. Quit crying that the governments handout isn't large enough for you tax bracket, quit writing end of the our economy threads and get off your azz and be a productive useful member of society.
And so this is why a dollars worth of silver is 40 bucks? I work 7 days a week mostly, and have more than one job, but I am my own Boss. There is a guy i call Boss who feeds me more work regular like, but I work outside of that job too. I even get to pay taxes. I never took a handout/hand up yet, because i know better than to let sticky money grubbing Govt O'fish als get their greedy mits on me. Talk about owned.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post

That's what got us into all this crap - "go out and buy something". Why would I? What kind of a freedom is that when you are owned by the bank?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM

373 posts, read 635,338 times
Default Buying stuff is not what it used to be

Now so little is made in the USA or locally we are just provinding jobs outside the country and digging ourselves into a deeper hole.

We are turning into a third world country,

Time to get off the not so merry go round.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
One strange thing is I work for a machinist and together we build machines which get sold to red commie china. These shoes test materials for running shoes and sneakers. American companies buy these same machines too, and the US Army bought one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness