Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,004,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
In this context the word "reefer" indicates a refridgerated trailer or shipping container. The sides and top of such boxes are insulated (and maybe the bottom as well). Probably cost more than standard steel shipping containers.

That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.
I knew it was a steel box like thing, but didn't know these were insulated. I understood 'reefer' too.

A few weeks ago discussing flintlock guns i got a shock using my typical slang of rocklocks, which turned out to be pot as in reefer too.

I know what pot is as in the wild woodsland weeds, but I don't use it, but i would if I wanted too. I drink, but I don't drink to the point of getting drunk. It just isn't for me.

I remain curious as to this type of container, since it has been said you can heat it with a candle. I heat the room I sleep in, text in and do assorted small projects in with a 65 pound anvil and a 70 pound vise, with up to 4 Aladin Lamps. A sort of odd combination of tools for a bed room.

If sterling silver would come back down to with in reason, I would like to buy more, and get back to making Trade Silver for the times around 1761. That is the why there is a anvil and vise in the bed room in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,640,040 times
Here is an example of someone who made a nice container cabin:
Tin Can Cabin | Building a Shipping Container Cabin

OD

Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 PM

That's really nice, much more than I would have expected. Thanks for placing the link!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,640,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's really nice, much more than I would have expected. Thanks for placing the link!
I am travelling to New Mexico in a few weeks to look at some land. As soon as I find a suitable parcel I am buying one. It's up in the mountains in central NM, not many people around The next step is then to get a few shipping containers and build the cheapest house everyone's ever seen

There is also a book by Paul Sawyers - Amazon.com: Intermodal Shipping Container Small Steel Buildings (9781438240329): Paul Sawyers: Books

As far as I know, this is the only book that explains anything in detail about containers being used for homes.

Apparently one thing to watch is the flooring and the chemicals used to treat it in addition to the stuff that could have been spilled on it while shipping. Some people opt to remove it completely and others cover it up

OD

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Since it was a freezer container and who knows what may have spoile I'ld be the tye to opt the flooring materials out too.

I have roughly passed thru the area, a road near Socorro to Roswell, then south into Texas. I liked NM pretty well.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 PM

645 posts, read 1,277,819 times
For those of you thinking about building a log home or cheap permanent shelter, I thought that you might enjoy the story about Richard Proenneke. At age 51, he packed it in, moved away from society, and built himself a small log cabin using only what nature had. He lived some 31 years in this cabin set in remote Alaska. If you don’t want to watch the entire story, “Alone in the Wilderness,” you can fast forward to 4:00 minutes, and watch the meat and bones of his cabin construction.

I hope you enjoy.

‪Alone in the Wilderness‬‏ - YouTube

There's a second follow up video as well.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/alone_i...derness_2.html

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 08-06-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM

191 posts, read 181,187 times
It's not necessary or even advisable to build anything. For one thing, you have to own the land, in most places. If you own land, you have to pay taxes on it. Even if it's a mining claim on BLM property, you have to pay $200 a year to keep it. $100 a year rent and $100 a year "improvements'. I am well aware that such things are RARELY "checked on", but you can lose everything if they are! Instead, live in a van, if you need more room, get a little pull trailer. Then you can live up north or in the mountains to avoid summer heat/bugs, and down south in the winter, to avoid cold/snow/ice. This way you always have a growing season, fish, animals, and wild plants are always available.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am travelling to New Mexico in a few weeks to look at some land. As soon as I find a suitable parcel I am buying one. It's up in the mountains in central NM, not many people around The next step is then to get a few shipping containers and build the cheapest house everyone's ever seen

There is also a book by Paul Sawyers - Amazon.com: Intermodal Shipping Container Small Steel Buildings (9781438240329): Paul Sawyers: Books

As far as I know, this is the only book that explains anything in detail about containers being used for homes.

Apparently one thing to watch is the flooring and the chemicals used to treat it in addition to the stuff that could have been spilled on it while shipping. Some people opt to remove it completely and others cover it up

OD
Had you seen this thread? https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...house-wow.html

Old 08-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I saw it and said it before that's really nice..It is I mean it.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
If you're interested in building something yourself, this is a great thread to read through.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness