Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
Moderator cut: Personal attack i've been rubbed RAW by riding-horseback r.
Rubbed raw from the Shetland Pony ride? I've read your posts, you obviously know nothing about horses

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 08-28-2011 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: quoted post moderated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 PM

191 posts, read 180,768 times
I know that a mountain bicycle is MUCH better for shtf, in evey way, that is the subject here. I know that the pos's require CONSTANT care, or come up lame, and the bike won't.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
I know that a mountain bicycle is MUCH better for shtf, in evey way, that is the subject here. I know that the pos's require CONSTANT care, or come up lame, and the bike won't.

I'm sorry you are scared of horses and I understand it. I work with horses as a pony ride person at Loon Mountain and many of the kids and some adults are terrified of the horse. If you are trembling from fear when you think of horses I would seek therapy and we know that horseback riding is not the sport for you. If you need any Life coaching to work through your many personal issues feel free to contact me

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Your bike requires no care and never breaks down and never requires parts from China? You ought to patent the damn thing. It's like no bike I've ever owned or seen.

I'll bet the soles of my shoes will last a hell of a lot longer than your bike. Scrap the bike. It's not as good an idea as was your tactical wheelbarrow notion. Now that right there is obviously the way to go. Just make sure there is sufficient armor plating around the tire/wheel assembly. There is a certain amount of vulnerability there. If you address that, your tactical wheelbarrow should be quite kickass.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
I would ride a bicycle. A horse takes serious work. A bicycle just requires a little mechanical flair.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
I think we can all agree that both would have thier proper place, I wouldn't want horse in downtown LA and I wouldn't want a bicycle riding thru 4 ft tall grasslands.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times
The equines I grew up with (horses, mules and donkeys) all had one thing is common. They had good senses. We knew something was nearby when equine ears came to attention, and the head turned to look. A snort followed, as if to say 'I see you'. If it was another equine, a whinney, or a braying, usually followed. If it was unknown, or a preditor, the whole animal came to attention.

Never knew a bike that could do that!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

Never knew a bike that could do that!
Do you really need that? If things descend to the point where people need to ride around horses all the time and to have the horse's senses as an additional layer of security, I imagine the whole world has been charred by nuclear war. Mr. Ed will not have any food at that point.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Do you really need that? If things descend to the point where people need to ride around horses all the time and to have the horse's senses as an additional layer of security, I imagine the whole world has been charred by nuclear war. Mr. Ed will not have any food at that point.
If the whole world has been charred no one will have food, but grass grows back first.
I don't have a horse currently, but still have my tack. In SHTF I probably would not ride the horse, but it sure would carry more than I can pack.

I good horse can carry a 300 pound man with some gear, which means a good horse can carry 300+ pounds of ammo.

No man can pack that much, and no pedal bike can either.

If the whole world is charred no man will live so long as to see any new grass.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Well since I don't own a horse and hanging horse thieves is still legal, I plan on throwing our mountain bikes in the bed of my Raptor. Then switch to the bikes when we run out of fuel. Now if run across some unattended horses, I would rather trade off with the horses than continue on bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness