Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,694 times

Advertisements

Mac, I have a pretty bad allergy to the saliva in the bug bites, and there really isn't any rinsing off saliva that is injected into your tissues. All I can do is take antihistamines and use hydrocortisone to keep the swelling and itch down until it is out of my system. A simple mosquito bite on me typically turns into a welt an inch across, raised and red. And that is if I don't scratch it and make the reaction worse. I am also severely allergic to bee and other similar venoms. I usually pack 3-4 epipen injectors with me at all times during the warmer months, and even carry two during the winter because wasps and wild bee colonies can winter inside a building without the nest being noticed.

I try not to let my allergies ruin my enjoyment of the outdoors, by not using anything scented except on special occasions. From laundry to all my personal care items, they are all unscented except in the winter. That is the only time aside from the special rare occasion that I indulge in scented products on my hair and skin. So far it has kept me from being stung for the past 30 years. But the bites...I figure I must be just so tasty that they can't resist me! Even sprays don't keep them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
Mac, I have a pretty bad allergy to the saliva in the bug bites, and there really isn't any rinsing off saliva that is injected into your tissues. All I can do is take antihistamines and use hydrocortisone to keep the swelling and itch down until it is out of my system. A simple mosquito bite on me typically turns into a welt an inch across, raised and red. And that is if I don't scratch it and make the reaction worse. I am also severely allergic to bee and other similar venoms. I usually pack 3-4 epipen injectors with me at all times during the warmer months, and even carry two during the winter because wasps and wild bee colonies can winter inside a building without the nest being noticed.

I try not to let my allergies ruin my enjoyment of the outdoors, by not using anything scented except on special occasions. From laundry to all my personal care items, they are all unscented except in the winter. That is the only time aside from the special rare occasion that I indulge in scented products on my hair and skin. So far it has kept me from being stung for the past 30 years. But the bites...I figure I must be just so tasty that they can't resist me! Even sprays don't keep them away.

Never the less flush with water asap. In your case submerge what ever you can for longer.

I agree your on the right track being as scentless as possible.

To some people I suggest allowing bites to happen, but i would NOT in your case. My wife was a bit like you once, but she is much better now, for having allowed black fly bites. My wife has Von Wilderbrands Factor 8, so it was hard for her to be here awhile.

I am so ornery that the bugs that do bite me often die in the act. I must be bug toxic. I don't own a bottle of repellent.

You might try Skin So Soft, in the un-scented form. I hate the way that stuff feels on me, but doing historical re-enactment nearly naked as a early Native character, I came to find the paints I make, cause bugs to not bother me much, and those that do die on contact with the paint, and stick to me quite dead. I like the effect myself

Also I am shaded from the sun, some rain, and light wind by the paint.

I suspect there was more to war paint, than we moderns know, but I am finding out.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Well, this is a makeshift idea I came up with a while back, and thought I might share it for whatever it's worth, simply because it applies to this thread. Rather than explain it purely in text, I made a little diagram to go along with it. '

I figure the whole thing can be made for $50 - $75, depending on how diligently you shop, or if you have some of the supplies already. What you get in return is a very mediocre air conditioner, but what's good about it is that it should run on very little electricity.... no 120 volt service even needed like a regular air conditioner. Battery supply should work just fine.

Both the fan and the pump should/can be low voltage battery items (will run you about $20 - $30 for both, if you know how to shop around).

If you have a tiny little cabin, or a wall tent.... this thing might be able to provide the needed cooling for those that don't live in climate that is too hot (or if you have good insulation - it would work in hotter environments). The other advantage of this idea is that unlike a regular air conditioner, you don't have to stick it out the window, nor is there a need to vent it like a regular A/C unit.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6...onericebox.png

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 09-04-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness