Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 AM

373 posts, read 635,277 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few old wells that are not very deep where I plant to try. I am curious about what is done there. How clean it is could be interesting too. No industry in the area and Ag has been gone for decades.

Learning to do wells under 50 feet could be quite handy. I have enjoyed drinking well water in other areas. Some of the best though has been spring water.

Some of the best of all was from a pipe driven into the rocks on the side of a mountain. That one was used as a community water source in the mountains of PA. Some people would not drink from thier own wells, but would get there drinking water there. There is plenty of water in the mountains of PA, alot less water in North Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
My wife and I have given the topic of rainwater a great deal of thought. Wells are expensive if done right, plus they need to be tested once in awhile (we have one here, now). If the power goes out, then there is the problem of the pump. As we will not be living in an urban area, city water won't be an option. And as we'll be living off grid, we will be getting creative about pumping it.

We decided right off the bat that the cost of filtration could get pricey unless we decided that not all water entering the premises had to be potable. Upwards of 95% of water coming into our present home is not used for drinking or cooking. It's used for flushing, showering, laundry, and general cleaning. Does it need to be sterile? No. It is certainly clean enough for all these tasks without any type of filtration. But our whole-house filter treats all incoming water as if it needed to be potable. Big waste of money, in my opinion.

The water we use for drinking and cooking will be put through a filtration unit called a Big Berkey, which I recommend to everyone here. It's gravity fed and runs with no power. It will clean out just about any nasty uglies you'd find in water anywhere. As for the poster who claimed that it was "impossible" to filter rainwater for drinking, this is the answer.

Another issue we had was powering the pump. We'll be off grid but will have power for an hour or so each day (to charge a battery bank, with a generator). So the pump can't run constantly, or "on demand" as our present one does. Laundry, showers, etc could be done while the genset was running. So we're looking at smaller tanks up in the attic that will gravity-feed to the sinks, toilet, etc during the day. We won't need 500 gallons a day for hand-washing and flushing!

Our last issue was water storage. There are tanks that hold 300, 500 etc gallons and will run you $500-1,000. Or more. I figured if we couldn't power the genset for awhile either becuse of mechanical failure or lack of available fuel, we'd need a heckuva lot more gallons than that! Along came the idea of the swimming pool...that never gets swum in. I have a new one in the garage, still in the package, that will hold 4,500 gallons of water. Now that's more like it! For those who say, "it'll freeze in wintertime, Dave!" I say, no, it won't. As soon as we set it up, I'll build a little shed around it, insulate it well, and heat the shed with propane to about 35 degrees during the winter.

That's all the answers we have so far. I'm sure more problems will arise...

Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
There are quite a few old wells that are not very deep where I plant to try. I am curious about what is done there. How clean it is could be interesting too. No industry in the area and Ag has been gone for decades.

Learning to do wells under 50 feet could be quite handy. I have enjoyed drinking well water in other areas. Some of the best though has been spring water.

Some of the best of all was from a pipe driven into the rocks on the side of a mountain. That one was used as a community water source in the mountains of PA. Some people would not drink from thier own wells, but would get there drinking water there. There is plenty of water in the mountains of PA, alot less water in North Texas.
Surface wells (a.k.a. shallow wells) were once quite common for use in watering livestock. However, for human consumption, as others have stated in this thread, you really do need a deep well.

http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/PrinterFriendly/Well--well--well--Things-to-know-when-drilling-for-water-in-Tex2011-01-11T09-40-58 (broken link)

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-05-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...............Our last issue was water storage. There are tanks that hold 300, 500 etc gallons and will run you $500-1,000. Or more. I figured if we couldn't power the genset for awhile either becuse of mechanical failure or lack of available fuel, we'd need a heckuva lot more gallons than that! Along came the idea of the swimming pool...that never gets swum in. I have a new one in the garage, still in the package, that will hold 4,500 gallons of water. Now that's more like it! For those who say, "it'll freeze in wintertime, Dave!" I say, no, it won't. As soon as we set it up, I'll build a little shed around it, insulate it well, and heat the shed with propane to about 35 degrees during the winter.

That's all the answers we have so far. I'm sure more problems will arise...
Heating with propane can get quite expensive. If wood is a plentiful fuel source in your future location you might look into building a mass rocket heater into the structure of your off-grid home and the shed in which you plan to store your water.

rocket stove mass heater

Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
I don't know where you plan to dig, of course, but please do understand that all sorts of intrusions can affect a water table, even ones you may not be aware of. A pig farm that has been built over can still pack some serious nasties in the dirt, down into the groundwater, even 20 years later. Some mines far removed from your property, even if closed for 50 years, could still be trickling ores into the groundwater. Ground water and aquifers are very funny - when they start to be pumped out of, something - from somewhere - has to fill that vacant space. Even gases trapped by the weight of soil and a water table, can rise up and pollute the water once you start pumping out of it. I've even read of cases where natural gas and oil removal, done with "fracking" (fracturing the rock 'container' with water pumped in while the oil or gas is pumped out) can force that same oil or gas into other water tables that share a 'wall' with the deposits, the 'wall' breaks under the applied pressure, and they end up contaminating even miles distant water tables. Nothing like suddenly being able to ignite your drinking water...

There might be a reason those are 'old' wells.

Not trying to break you down or burst your bubble; but water is a funny thing. Flows how and where it wants, mostly to the lowest point, and draws things out of the soil or deposits that you may not want. The Floridian aquifer has been pumped so dry on the East Coast that parts of it have been suffering salt water intrusion, as the ocean is literally drawn into it as with a slow vaccuum. Many older wells have dried up as a result, even far removed from the overuse sites.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:29 AM

Default The area was part of a farm dating from the 1850's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I don't know where you plan to dig, of course, but please do understand that all sorts of intrusions can affect a water table, even ones you may not be aware of. A pig farm that has been built over can still pack some serious nasties in the dirt, down into the groundwater, even 20 years later. Some mines far removed from your property, even if closed for 50 years, could still be trickling ores into the groundwater. Ground water and aquifers are very funny - when they start to be pumped out of, something - from somewhere - has to fill that vacant space. Even gases trapped by the weight of soil and a water table, can rise up and pollute the water once you start pumping out of it. I've even read of cases where natural gas and oil removal, done with "fracking" (fracturing the rock 'container' with water pumped in while the oil or gas is pumped out) can force that same oil or gas into other water tables that share a 'wall' with the deposits, the 'wall' breaks under the applied pressure, and they end up contaminating even miles distant water tables. Nothing like suddenly being able to ignite your drinking water...

There might be a reason those are 'old' wells.

Not trying to break you down or burst your bubble; but water is a funny thing. Flows how and where it wants, mostly to the lowest point, and draws things out of the soil or deposits that you may not want. The Floridian aquifer has been pumped so dry on the East Coast that parts of it have been suffering salt water intrusion, as the ocean is literally drawn into it as with a slow vaccuum. Many older wells have dried up as a result, even far removed from the overuse sites.
The area was a farm dating from the 1850's. Just older homes in the area had wells and in some cases even outhouses. A swamp and stream are nearby. The stream runs year round and I have only known of one time where most of it stopped flowing on the surface in 20 plus years. The stream even was an old local swimming hole on my property up into the late 70's. The water that I have seen is cool year round and just fills holes cut into the rock. In fact my greatest concern is drilling a hole and just hitting the rock. In another one of the homes a hole was cut into the rock for what was a water based AC system that no longer is used, but hole in the rock and water is there.

I have a Honda powered post hole digger to start the hole. My suspician is the water may be easy to get at. I would like to get some free water for a garden. But would it would also be handy to have something to use with a berky filter in the not likely event it would be necessary. I

The water would certainly have to be tested.

Thinking about pigs though made me think of how often pigs would be in a pen not that far from houses. Like a 100 feet or so, and also in a house I lived in with a well where the grass was so nice over the septic tank. I have consumed alot water from surface springs over the year.

A well could make land worth something. Sometimes old timesr know where the water is deep or easy to get or tastes good or bad. I would imagine few real estate agents would know or say what could be valuable info.

It could be worth it if the water would just take a weekend or in my case severel weekends to get at and not much money. Then have a free supply for watering and an emergency supply that may not ever be needed or not for very long.

But if I can get a handle on things the were common place not that long ago it could be very handy to the equipment and tools for other projects such as cheap land as in a get away hunting place. Water, enuough off grid electricity for lights and a few items, and a comfortable place to stay.

It is rare to speak with anyone who has made a well these days. The warnings of nitrates are well taken, those could sure cause problems worse then just needing to use the restroom too often. As well as industrial chemicals. Iin a formerly unincorporated area a customer told me how a school with a giant septic tank was put in not far away and guess what happened to all the people of modest means who had only wells.......
No recourse either at the time. They were glad when city water came in.

Like the people in some of the links it could be and interesting and handly skill to have.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
The area was a farm dating from the 1850's. Just older homes in the area had wells and in some cases even outhouses. A swamp and stream are nearby. The stream runs year round and I have only known of one time where most of it stopped flowing on the surface in 20 plus years. The stream even was an old local swimming hole on my property up into the late 70's. The water that I have seen is cool year round and just fills holes cut into the rock. In fact my greatest concern is drilling a hole and just hitting the rock. In another one of the homes a hole was cut into the rock for what was a water based AC system that no longer is used, but hole in the rock and water is there.

I have a Honda powered post hole digger to start the hole. My suspician is the water may be easy to get at. I would like to get some free water for a garden. But would it would also be handy to have something to use with a berky filter in the not likely event it would be necessary. I

The water would certainly have to be tested.

Thinking about pigs though made me think of how often pigs would be in a pen not that far from houses. Like a 100 feet or so, and also in a house I lived in with a well where the grass was so nice over the septic tank. I have consumed alot water from surface springs over the year.

A well could make land worth something. Sometimes old timesr know where the water is deep or easy to get or tastes good or bad. I would imagine few real estate agents would know or say what could be valuable info.

It could be worth it if the water would just take a weekend or in my case severel weekends to get at and not much money. Then have a free supply for watering and an emergency supply that may not ever be needed or not for very long.

But if I can get a handle on things the were common place not that long ago it could be very handy to the equipment and tools for other projects such as cheap land as in a get away hunting place. Water, enuough off grid electricity for lights and a few items, and a comfortable place to stay.

It is rare to speak with anyone who has made a well these days. The warnings of nitrates are well taken, those could sure cause problems worse then just needing to use the restroom too often. As well as industrial chemicals. Iin a formerly unincorporated area a customer told me how a school with a giant septic tank was put in not far away and guess what happened to all the people of modest means who had only wells.......
No recourse either at the time. They were glad when city water came in.

Like the people in some of the links it could be and interesting and handly skill to have.
I have a 45ft cased well that the idiot who built the house I own now had dug. This is South Florida, water is easy to come by but 45ft depth is nothing. My water stinks of sulfur, has dark particles in it, has a "film" on it after it settles. It is also red from iron. I have a chlorinating system and a water softener but I can barely stand to shower with that water. The chlorinator takes away the egg sulfur smell but the chlorine gas itself is not harmless in large quantities. We use the Big Berkey for filtering drinking water.

The code here says water well has to be 300 ft from septic tank.

My water well is 45 ft below where my horses pee and poop, next to the neighbors lawn which he douses in pesticides and fertilizer (moron). At that depth there is not enough soil to filter anything out.

OD

Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Is it grandfathered in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I have a 45ft cased well that the idiot who built the house I own now had dug. This is South Florida, water is easy to come by but 45ft depth is nothing. My water stinks of sulfur, has dark particles in it, has a "film" on it after it settles. It is also red from iron. I have a chlorinating system and a water softener but I can barely stand to shower with that water. The chlorinator takes away the egg sulfur smell but the chlorine gas itself is not harmless in large quantities. We use the Big Berkey for filtering drinking water.

The code here says water well has to be 300 ft from septic tank.

My water well is 45 ft below where my horses pee and poop, next to the neighbors lawn which he douses in pesticides and fertilizer (moron). At that depth there is not enough soil to filter anything out.

OD
Is the well grandfathered in?

My area is in an old area where the original people are long gone largely due to changes in society. Hardly anyone spends anything on pesticides or fertilizer. I am one of the only people who founded the country in the area.

It is kind of fun living here. There are acres of woods around the house on both sides of the road. Too many steep hills and swamps to develop.
ALot of information about the area was lost when people died off or left.

It is quite a nice area for a long slow decline. Centally located with low overhead. .

I trying to set the place up for the production of food.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Nor'Eastah wrote: "Another issue we had was powering the pump. We'll be off grid but will have power for an hour or so each day (to charge a battery bank, with a generator). So the pump can't run constantly, or "on demand" as our present one does. So we're looking at smaller tanks up in the attic that will gravity-feed to the sinks, toilet, etc during the day."

Don't know if you already incorporated this into your design, but the way you described it seems like you are going to go with gravity fed tanks. A perhaps-design improvement would probably be to use pressure tanks (e.g. Flotecs are inexpensive. They sell them 'off the shelf' at Home Depot, as well... so no special ordering needed). That'll give you about 40 psi of pressure, which is much more desirable than gravity fed which will only give you probably less than 5 psi (0.433 pounds per square inch per 1 foot of head height) , and just as with the gravity-fed system, the pump doesn't have to run "on-demand." You would need roughly 92 feet of head height (height of the storage tanks above the water faucet/spigot) to get that same 40 psi with gravity fed tanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM

191 posts, read 180,809 times
how about just don't use so much water? i have to fetch a 5 gallon bottle of it just twice a week. :-) I shower in the overflow of the City reservoir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness