Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:24 PM

14 posts, read 23,891 times

Advertisements

Great think to have. Print it out at Kinkos or whatever.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/books/ranger.pdf

If anyone has anything like this, please contribute, add link or whatnot. Thank you.

Last edited by mindlessdrone; 08-08-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,131,440 times
Don't have a link, but I remember that many military manuals, including infantry tactics went digital and are available (For free) online.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
We have a manual from WWII that describes not only tactics, but how to find/speak to the French if you are behind enemy lines... I don't think it's online though...

Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

14 posts, read 23,891 times
Lol, don't think I would ever need to talk to the French. But, it would be kinda neat to see.

btw there are a lot online, hard to find the good ones though.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,728 times
Yup . Better try to write it in english . English only the common language .Anyway thanks for sharing .

Chevrolet Spark

Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
You don't need to speak to tawk to the French. Simple drawings on a bar napkin work just fine

Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,676 times
I've been collecting various military manuals for many years now in .pdf format.

I usually have multiple versions of each manual because sometimes when they do revisions..... the new versions suck. I've often noticed that as they come up with new revisions, sometimes they "dumb down" the manuals. This seems an unfortunate overall trend in book publishing which is a whole other discussion in itself. Occasionally they might make the revised version better, though.

The Joint Services Escape & Evasion manual might also be of interest to persons on this forum. The content, in terms of how one applies it, could have a variety of uses.

The FM 20-3 camouflage manual could also be of multiple uses (e.g. setting up good hides for hunting, concealing caches of supplies if one chooses not to bury them, concealing security devices to protect ones property, or more exotic uses like concealing LP/OP's, or alternatively, being able to spot people or things which others have camouflaged, either by eye or with the aid of sensors), depending one what ones interests and needs are.

And of course the Army survival manuals. Unfortunately, this is one of the areas as I previously mentioned, where I have noticed that the newer revisions are not necessarily the better manuals.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM

One thing people might not realize - color-blind people were used in the Armed Forces to spot camoflaged equipment and people. My DH is 'pastel-color-blind' - he sees colors, just different ones than what 'normal-sighted' people see. He can spot changes in landscape (trees, grass, leaves displaced) as well as camoflage paint or material like normal folks can see hot pink or chartreuse on a pine tree. So don't trust color to hide your caches; especially not those fancy nets or covers. (most woods-wise people can spot them too.) Camoflage is like building a fence or locking a door - it will keep most people out, but not the truly determined.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM

373 posts, read 635,581 times
Lightbulb Speaking French

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
We have a manual from WWII that describes not only tactics, but how to find/speak to the French if you are behind enemy lines... I don't think it's online though...
I always wanted to read some books in French, looks like something interesting to look up

Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
I always wanted to read some books in French, looks like something interesting to look up
It actually is a soldier's guide. It tells you how to ask things like "Have you seen any German tanks?" and "Do you have a radio?" (the transmitting kind, not just a receiver) in French. Not a lot of use, unless you happen to crash your plane in Toronto or make a wrong turn at the ID border, but fascinating reading. Hits home about what a soldier's life was like before cell phones, long-distance drone warfare, and the Internet.

Although chocolate may once again become a good barter item...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness