Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

It is. Every expensive square inch. Even the spots behind the dumpsters at the McDonalds on the way out of town are forbidden. If your rig is sitting in the public parking lot at Smathers Beach after hours, expect a tow truck to wake you up. You might get away with this stuff in Freeport Tx. but you will find Key West is about as welcoming as Malibu Ca.

You might get the white box van and not even think about sitting outside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
It might be that I fail.

But I'd rather try and fail then spend the rest of my life thinking "I ALMOST went to Key West"

I've been threatening to go back ever since I was TAD down there, and since Grad School is 100% online....

This is actually my backup plan, my original plan was to go stay at the Batchler Enlisted Quarters, but the %^&*( Navy recently became the only branch which will not let Retirees rent rooms. (It would of been under $1K a month)

As I said, I have ANOTHER backup plan... renting a camping space.
Ether Civilian or Military.

HOWEVER: I'm betting that I can find a place, whether it's in the parking lot of the Navy Lodge ($60 a night isn't in the plan) Where a Truck with Tags, military sticker and Sgt's stripes will fit right in...

Or wherever else.

Heck, might even be able to park on base.

Whichever... it's gonna be hard to bust someone with a few thousand in the bank for vagrancy, and I'm betting what I've discovered on Motorcycle trips... that the cops will give a retiree at most a 'Move along'

Thing is, I met a guy who lived down there in the back of his Tacoma for a few weeks till he got a job and slot in a campground. So I KNOW it's possible.

Also met another guy (He hadn't been there) who extended that 'Sliding cover' that covers the 'trunk area' of many SUV's to cover the entire back and would sleep under that... cop shines a light in through the tint... they don't see a thing.

We will see.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 AM

191 posts, read 180,860 times
get a laptop and solar charger for it and smart phone. Get one of those "1 time" battery jumping devices from Harbor Freight tools. If going to florida, better make it during the winter and arrange for bug netting and all the wind you can get. Look into having a solar charger that can recharge a battery that will run a small fan, blowing over an ice block, at night, so you can sleep. heat and humidity are bad news for sleeping and you need your rest.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Speakng of batteries and charges... there are small solar panels for vehicles, etc with trickle chargers that might work well. And FL has a lot of sunshine. Just in case you are operating that ham radio or laptop for your online degree for any length of time.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM

123 posts, read 297,287 times
trade the 4 runner for a large junk boat and morning it 200 feet for shoreline, create your heaven on the water.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM

191 posts, read 180,860 times
u can do much better, park it in a public storage place, or make a friend and pay him $20 a week to let you park it in his back yard, etc. 1k a month is ridiculously expensive rent and utilties. I pay nothing, dude. :-) I provide nighttime security at a friend's bis, have access to shower, toilet, computers, power, space on a workbench, tools, an air mattress, AC, heat, refrigerator, grill, microwave.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 AM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Thumbs up Trickle Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Speakng of batteries and charges... there are small solar panels for vehicles, etc with trickle chargers that might work well. And FL has a lot of sunshine. Just in case you are operating that ham radio or laptop for your online degree for any length of time.
The ones that plug into the cigaretter lighter work well if the circuit is always hot. I use them for trucks that are not driven that often. The red one at Harbor frieght has kept an extra truck to where it started almost a year later with no problem. The trans had went bad and surprise it started fine when I got around to replacing the trans.

I use a single panel solar charger on a gas truck and two on a diesel truck. There also heavier ones available.

A reallly good setup was done by the author of Rancho Costa Nada.
It put couple extra car battaries on the floor of a Geo Metro, tied them down with straps for safety in the event of and accident. The Metro had the normal battery for starting the car. Then when he would drive he would flip a switch so the extra batteries were charged off of the engine.. Then when time to use them flip the disconnect so the main battery was not in danger of running down.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TabbyCat View Post
The ones that plug into the cigaretter lighter work well if the circuit is always hot. I use them for trucks that are not driven that often. The red one at Harbor frieght has kept an extra truck to where it started almost a year later with no problem. The trans had went bad and surprise it started fine when I got around to replacing the trans.

I use a single panel solar charger on a gas truck and two on a diesel truck. There also heavier ones available.

A reallly good setup was done by the author of Rancho Costa Nada.
It put couple extra car battaries on the floor of a Geo Metro, tied them down with straps for safety in the event of and accident. The Metro had the normal battery for starting the car. Then when he would drive he would flip a switch so the extra batteries were charged off of the engine.. Then when time to use them flip the disconnect so the main battery was not in danger of running down.
That's easy with a relay tripped by the key to turn on the other battery circuits. I do prefer manual switches which as of late i can't find.

If you know where I can buy a 'AB Switch' rated at 130 amps in 12 volts i want it.

Adding in a powder socket/ ciggy butt socket is a basic no brainer, or to change a switch one to be 'ON' all the time is as easy.

Not braggin, offerin assistance is more like it.

To maintain car type batterys, perhaps more important mc batterys, you want a charger rated at 13.5 volts and 1.5 amps, no matter what runs it.

Anyone here is free to ask anything. If you prefer ask in the cars room, but let me know. I am out of date on newer cars, but somethings don't change much. 12 volts IS 12 volts.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Harbor Frieght has swithes to isolate batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
That's easy with a relay tripped by the key to turn on the other battery circuits. I do prefer manual switches which as of late i can't find.

If you know where I can buy a 'AB Switch' rated at 130 amps in 12 volts i want it.

Adding in a powder socket/ ciggy butt socket is a basic no brainer, or to change a switch one to be 'ON' all the time is as easy.

Not braggin, offerin assistance is more like it.

To maintain car type batterys, perhaps more important mc batterys, you want a charger rated at 13.5 volts and 1.5 amps, no matter what runs it.

Anyone here is free to ask anything. If you prefer ask in the cars room, but let me know. I am out of date on newer cars, but somethings don't change much. 12 volts IS 12 volts.
Harbor Frieght has switches to isolate car batteries. Some use them as a theft deterent others use the switches to cut the battery off from very slow drains .

My favorite really tough relay is the one used on Ford Pick Up trucks for the starter and mounts on the firewall. I have used these to make manual glow systems on diesel cars and trucks. A generic horn button engages the the relay. I cant remember how many amps some of the old manual glow systems pull but it is huge on the fat old Mercedes ones. I have made the manual systems for both those and also Ford Trucks with the pencil glow plugs

Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Any areas in warmer parts of the US that are friendly to people camping out in SUV's and things like that without hassle from the town or police? Prefeably southeast US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness