Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:46 AM

191 posts, read 180,281 times

Advertisements

So all the worries about what works at 25 yds are just bs, plain and simple. I've been attacked many times, and know of many others. It's always been at 5 yds and less, usually much less. I've read the Armed Citizen column every month for nearly 40 years now. Go to the dept of Justice's website, look up the Annual Crime survey. over 65% of all attacks are not made with a gun and if you defend yourself with a gun, you are MANY times more likely to escape injury than if you use anything else. that means that you dare not fire at more than 10 feet of distance, or run a very serious risk of going to prison for having done so. At that same DOJ website, look up the FBI'S UCR uniform crime report. See that over 90% of GUN fights occur at less than 7 yds, most occur at less than 10 FEET, in fact.

Read Jim Cirillo's book on Gunfighting, and notice that fully 6 out of 7 armed robbers, CORNERED by stakeout teams in the act of robbing liquor stores, surrendered rather than fight. Leave the attacker an out and the odds are 10 to 1 he will take it, rather than make you shoot. So the odds are VERY high that you will never have to shoot at all, never have to hit anyone if you do fire, and way, way high that you won't need more accuracy than the abilty to hit a 10" chest circle at 10 ft. What you need is the abilty to get the gun out and noticed by the creep, ready to fire, swiftly and surely. So very cheap AirSoft or pellet gun practice will cover most of your training needs, and a lot of your live firing can be done with the .22lr, too.

If you do shoot somebody, be ready to spend 50k on staying out of prison, and fighting the years long civil suit that likely wil be part of the scenario. This is a lot of reasons to be so swift and sure in your getting "the drop" on the attacker, so that you will not have to shoot him. Forget about the pistol shooting beyond 10 yds, and forget about engaging more than 2 guys in the same scenario. It doesnt happen, and if it did, you couldn't handle it, no matter who you are or how good you are. Shoot 1-2 attackers, and the rest will FLEE, dude. this will save you a TON of money otherwise wasted on pointless practice at too long ranges. Sure, it's fun, but make sure that you understand that the expense is not NECESSARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,515,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giney12 View Post
If you do shoot somebody, be ready to spend 50k on staying out of prison, and fighting the years long civil suit that likely wil be part of the scenario.
Note to self: Pick up spare just-in-case disposable shovel, a couple bottles of bleach and nylon pads, disposable cleaning bucket for "stuff" I will have cleaned thoroughly in bleach, a few just-in-case disposable hacksaws, a few plastic tarps, heavy duty trash bags, disposable fully-body plastic rain suit, hair net, 'dust-buster' mini-vac, and a bag of lime.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 08-14-2011 at 02:01 AM..

Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
But that is during normal times and assults that normally come form robbery on the spur of the monent.Most are over property o your perosn or from some puropse that they are lose to you. It does not mean tho that attck form a distance could not haeepn when things change.There is a reason the the military wants its soldiers to attck from a distance and that is safety. If the purpose tho isa to kil with least danger ;its always preferable maintain as much distances as possible. The long arm was always the real killers at disatnceespecailly whe not wantig to take any personal risk.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,377,275 times
When attacked, be certain to kill the attacker. Shoot him as many times as necessary. Its in the police manuals that they are supposed to do it that way too. Dead men don't show up in court saying they only asked for a dollar or a cigarette. Make no statement to the police other than "I was defending myself" and "I want to speak with my lawyer before you ask me any questions." Your lawyer will help you remember that the attacker said: "I have a gun and I'm going to kill you . . . "

If you are the only witness, you win.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 AM

645 posts, read 1,272,457 times
Yes, most gunfights occur at 7 yards or less. To me, that’s not a surprising fact. Most people that I’ve known or have been acquainted with seem completely oblivious to their surroundings. They don’t recognize potential dangers until they’re confronted face to face. Situational awareness is key to avoiding trouble, be it a car wreck, robbery, or a physical altercation. Unfortunately for most, they just don’t pay attention. At least that’s been my experience.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,657,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
When attacked, be certain to kill the attacker. Shoot him as many times as necessary. Its in the police manuals that they are supposed to do it that way too. Dead men don't show up in court saying they only asked for a dollar or a cigarette. Make no statement to the police other than "I was defending myself" and "I want to speak with my lawyer before you ask me any questions." Your lawyer will help you remember that the attacker said: "I have a gun and I'm going to kill you . . . "

True. Of course then you still have to worry about the attacker's family, who will insist that the perp NEVER carried a gun, was drunk/stoned/a helpless victim of society trying to get food/money/electronics for his children, and whining to every TV reporter about how, in spite of his long and violent criminal record, he would NEVER hurt anyone who didn't try to hurt him first.

I've also heard that crying when asking for your lawyer is good, and makes for a good police report. Carry a fresh-cut onion wrapped in your hanky, or do like actors do - think about something that was really traumatic in your life. An emptied gun - where all of the bullets/shells have been shot - is indicative of a hysterical and fearful defense, even if your tight shot pattern on the perp belies this.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:07 AM

645 posts, read 1,272,457 times
When dealing with the police for any reason, it's best to decline answering questions and ask for a lawyer over and over again. The police are not nyour friends.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 PM

311 posts, read 464,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

I was also told, when Emergency crews arrive, tell them you are very upset and need medical attention and want to be taken to the hospital...right now. That will give enough time to calm yourself a bit and start to think a little clearer and call a lawyer.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM

37,273 posts, read 61,027,360 times
Quote:
... I've been attacked many times,

... I've read the Armed Citizen column every month for nearly 40 years now.

... look up the Annual Crime survey

... look up the FBI'S UCR uniform crime report

... Read Jim Cirillo's book on Gunfighting
Why are you in a position where you are being attacked 'many times' ?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 PM

25,338 posts, read 18,470,982 times
Quote:
I've been attacked many times,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why are you in a position where you are being attacked 'many times' ?
Yes, this is a good question... why do people pick on you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness